The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2015, 04:34 PM   #1
WVsig

Anyone own a Sphinx Subcompact?

I have the Compact and love it and am considering getting a subcompact. Anyone here on the forum have one? No one here local has one I can put my hands on. I assume that the build quality is the same as the Compact.

How does it compare size wise in the real world to say the Sig P239? I know what the dimensions are but I am wondering how it feels in the hand and on the belt.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2
HALO51

Build quality is the same....Best gun I've ever owned PERIOD!! Parts are made from billet and hand assembled, Swiss Engineering, No gun on the market compares to the quality of a Sphinx. !7,000 through my Compact SDP and 2,230 through the Subcompact......NO malfunctions and cant get it to malfunction. If you want a gun that's scary accurate, completely reliable to bet your life on then go with a Sphinx........PERIOD
Old May 25, 2015, 08:24 PM   #3
WVsig

I have the compact Alpha and love it. Considering the all steel duo or the subcompact as the next one then the full sized whenever that actually hits the market.

Everytime I shoot the alpha compact I am even more impressed.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

You're going to be compelled to change your handle to WVsdp, if you're not careful...
Old May 26, 2015, 11:48 AM   #5
WVsig

I know I will have to PM a mod and request the name change. LOL
Old May 27, 2015, 05:44 AM   #6
Hank R

HALO 51 , How stiff is the recoil spring in the subcompact to rack the slide? I have the SDP compact and it isn't too hard to rack and have been considering the subcompact as well as the full size too. These are great pistols. I put the Wolff CZ compact 17 lb spring in my compact that Walt recommended and the trigger is very good now without any problems too.
Old May 27, 2015, 08:45 AM   #7
HALO51

Hank R.....poundage wise I'm not sure what the Subcompact is. However, new it is very stiff and alot stiffer than the Compact....I believe due to the tight tolerances and stature of the gun. I've only had a couple thousand rounds through my Sub and it's loosened up. These guns are phenomenally engineered and the tightest tolerances I've ever encountered in a stock gun. I have a Sphinx 3000 and bought it used with 155,000 rounds through it and I've put 20,000 rounds through it. that makes 175,000 rounds and I just replaced the recoil spring and it really didn't need it. These guns are in a class by themselves. Swiss are amazing at engineering. Walt Sherrill is well versed on springs, you might want to ask him as well.

Last edited by HALO51; May 27, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old May 27, 2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Hank R

Thanks HALO51, I share your view of the Sphinx pistols as well, as they are real quality and worth the extra money.
Old May 29, 2015, 08:24 AM   #9
Cyanide971

Got to hold three different Sphinx's yesterday; and one was the subcompact. Was obviously very tight, but felt very nice for being as small as it is (notice the grip of the FNS-9C in the top right corner mirror reflection).

As for the duo-tone; heavy but so well balanced. I can imagine it'd be a joy to shoot. The SDP Compact, if IIRC, was calling my name to add it into my collection lol. Perhaps one day!

'Twas funny that the salesman and the other people around had absolutely no clue what any of them were. I just politely smiled and mentioned, "Made in Switzerland."

Old June 9, 2015, 08:56 PM   #10
WildBill45

My new Sphinx subcompact

Yes I own a subcompact and have shot a few videos about mine. I shot it from 7 to 100 yards, and will do 200 yards soon!!! The video says it all, this is one of three videos about my new Always carry gun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZiI01MV1E

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old June 10, 2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Walt Sherrill

I'm impressed!! That may be my next NEW gun purchase, for concealed carry.

(I have an SDP compact.)