The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Swampman1

Glock Magazine extension

Does Glock make anything bigger that a +2 mag extension for a G19?
Old March 21, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
9mm

IMO, no reason to put extention on a magazine made to hold 15 rounds, it causes more stress on the spring. If you want +2 get the Glock 17 magazine.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Gaerek

That is the biggest extension they make. If you want more rounds, buy a bigger mag. You could get a G17 mag and put a +2 (some can get +2, others can only get +1, I've heard of some that get +3 out of it), but it carries some of the same issues 9mm mentioned. Then, there's always the 33 rounders, if you really want them.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Swampman1

Good points guys, thanks
Old March 22, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

The arrandondo (sp?) mag extensions are pretty solid if you want more than +2. That said, they're not cheap...
Old March 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
ET.

Arrendondo mag extensions are the only ones that I would use if I were going to install any extension that adds over 2 rounds to Glock factory mags because of the spring situation mentioned above. Yes they aren't cheap, but if you want the mags to actually work and last, then it is worth it. Personally I have factory mags with +2 extensions or the factory 22 round (40s&w) or 33 round (33 round) mags.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Noreaster

I don't use the extensions. I keep seeing guys at work dumping rounds everywhere because they bump something with the butt of the gun. I have also seen a guy open his mag pouch and a spring came flying out because the extension was knocked off somehow somewhere. I have no experience with the Arrendondo but Plouffedaddy has probably tested them out and if he says they work then they probably do.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
tulsamal

Quote:
I keep seeing guys at work dumping rounds everywhere because they bump something with the butt of the gun.
I've seen people do that with a Glock +2 extension as well. But then I examine the mag in question and see they didn't install the magazine insert. The +2 is actually both those pieces used together. The insert locks the baseplate in place. Without it.... things can go wrong quite easily.

Look at the Glock factory 33 round 9mm mag. Ever see anybody knock the extension off it and spill the rounds? Me either. And I assume that is because the 33 round mag comes with the +2 already installed. Properly!

Gregg
Old March 23, 2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Noreaster

[I've seen people do that with a Glock +2 extension as well. But then I examine the mag in question and see they didn't install the magazine insert. The +2 is actually both those pieces used together. The insert locks the baseplate in place. Without it.... things can go wrong quite easily.]

I didn't know that. I'll have to check the next time it happens. Thanks for the info.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:08 AM   #10
mrvco

Dawson Precision makes great baseplate extenders, but they are really designed for competition use.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Brit

The Chief Instructor from OPD, retired, went to work at the Kennedy Space Center (they have their own Police?) Anyway he went to the Plus 2 Extensions for their issue Glock 17s.

Having issues with this item, I informed him of them. They had a very nice shoot house, shooting a drill with long guns, ARs? An Officer bashed his holstered pistol!

He now had a single shot pistol, that he had a heck of a time removing the magazine body from.

All scrapped. If you carry a Glock 19, as I do, my spare magazine is a G17 one. Absolute reliability is worth way more in the long run.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Skans

I've got a +2 on my Glock 17 magazine - it's been there for about 15 years now. I've used the heck out of it. Still runs like Swiss clockwork.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:31 AM   #13
Brit

Lucky you Skans, there were different manufacturers involved, some worked fine, some did not, but the standard G17 magazines never separated that I ever heard of.

Do you carry your G17?