The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2002, 07:01 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

500/590 aluminum trigger housings

Does anyone know where i can find an aluminum trigger housing for a 500/590? I'm looking to replace my current plastic one.
Old October 24, 2002, 07:39 PM   #2
LF&Co. MG

I have been thinking the same thing for years but I think you are asking for an animal that doesn't exist. I would like a steel receiver and trigger group for the 590 but as far as I can tell these have never been made. In all honesty, I have never seen one of the plastic ones broken beyond usefulness and our Mossbergs get used and abused. I have found one cracked in a 500 but the weapon worked fine.
Old October 25, 2002, 06:31 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

The 590 A1 comes with a metal trigger group so i suspect mosberg would sell you one.....Dick
Old October 28, 2002, 08:17 PM   #4
SIGarmed

I tried to buy a Mossberg 590 military model with the heavier duty parts like I used to use in the military. My dealer told me the distributor won't even send him any unless its for law enforcement applications and he had to provide paperwork. I think you might have a problem getting that part but I hope you don't. Mossberg has really upset me on this one because I'm pretty sure its their new policy. By the way this happened before the events in MD.
Old October 29, 2002, 01:19 AM   #5
mons-meg

SIGarmed...

Weird... I bought my 590 before they even had the a1 model, and it has all the military goodies. Last time I was at their website, the model number I purchased 4 years ago is still available (50665) but wasn't listed under their LE section.

I don't see any reason for them to restrict sales of any of their products to LE-only. Hopefully this is not actual policy.
Old October 29, 2002, 02:00 AM   #6
Jato

I have seen metal and plastic. I just saw the 590-A1 in the Turners ad. I am not sure what the A1 model is.

Does anyone know what the A1 involves?

I am thinking about picking up a 590.
Old October 29, 2002, 05:02 PM   #7
curt

jato,
i believe the a1 has a heavier barrel and the metal trigger group and safety. I've been wondering whether the A1 trigger group is a drop in fit for the 590.
Old November 2, 2002, 09:19 PM   #8
SIGarmed

The model that I had the problem getting is the 590 #51663.
It has the heavy 20' barrel,metal guard & safety, and ghost ring sights.
I was told the same thing by others on internet boards over the this last year. I think you have to find the right place to buy it from, but I thought it was weird that I couldn't get one too.
Old November 5, 2002, 04:01 PM   #9
nascarnhlnra

I just e-mailed Mossberg that very question. I can't see any reason why a shotgun with a heavy barrel and metal safety & trigger guard should be LEO doesn't make sense to me.I hope they aren't trying to get p.c. on us now.