The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 13, 2000, 09:28 PM   #1
Tom T

It's almost fathers day and my wife said my gift is I can go get another gun. I told her I would try to keep it down to one new one a year. So I was looking at one of the two (Glock 30 or Walter ppk) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It will be used primarily at the range. I curently have a 2 glocks in 9mm and a 1911 in 45.
Old June 13, 2000, 09:56 PM   #2
dvc

I'd choose the Glock 30.
Old June 13, 2000, 10:04 PM   #3
Battler

I have a 1911 and a G30. I don't know about the PPK; but the G30 is a rock solid piece of mechanical perfection. Its trigger is not as nice as a 1911 (what is) - but for DA it's sweet and it's indestructible (I can't feel as comfortable being rough with other guns).

Look on Glockmeister or other online parts dealer - spares for the G30 cost about $2 each (except for the slide and barrel and receiver, you can get most other parts/springs/bits in a pack for $30).

Battler.

[This message has been edited by Battler (edited June 13, 2000).]
Old June 13, 2000, 10:48 PM   #4
ak9

Get the ppk. Variety is the spice of life. you have enough glocks. save some for others.
Old June 14, 2000, 12:02 AM   #5
hube1236
Registration in progress

Kind of like choosing between a brand new Cannodale Jeckyll Mountain Bike or a Beef Wellington meal in London; costs the same but completely different. I would go with the ppk only because you have Glocks already. Since it will be a whole year until another purchase, get a toy.
Old June 14, 2000, 12:12 AM   #6
Gremlin

ppk.

classy.

sleek.

no less than a million accessories available.

dress it up and take it out.

shoot 5 shot groups into a thimble at 15 feet.

take pictures of it.

pay no attention to the nay-sayers...

------------------
Take the long way home...
Old June 14, 2000, 12:15 AM   #7
Bongos

ppk's are known to be finicky with ammo, so sometimes not as reliable. Glock 30 eats everything. Hopes this helps
Old June 14, 2000, 07:31 AM   #8
Greg G

PPK
Old June 14, 2000, 08:34 AM   #9
IZZY

If the ppk is of German manufacture it should be a fine shooter. If it was made here you need to test it out before buying.
(i've owned three of em...)
Have you concidered a Kill-tec?
Old June 14, 2000, 08:38 AM   #10
IZZY

On another note it seems that the production of ppk pistolas in this country and abroad will/has ceased for the time being...maybe it is time to stock up?
Old June 14, 2000, 10:30 AM   #11
jetrecbn1

How about a Walther clone like the FegPa63 and a used G30. Could get two toys for close to the same price as a new G30. The 3 factory refurbished G19s that my friends and I bought were in great shape and has not given us any problems. I'm pretty sure there are vg condition used G30s that you would get your approval.
Old June 14, 2000, 03:04 PM   #12
jtduncan

Isn't that Walther in .32 or .380? Why pay $10 a box a ammo for those rounds. I'd still to the majors 9, 40, 45.

For the money and the collection, the Glock 30 is a must have if you love Glocks.

It's reported to be the most accurate glock of all. That should be enough for you.

But the question is can you find a Glock 30 for sale in your market? Lots of people are having trouble even finding one by bricks or clicks to buy.

Good luck.

My wife is buying me a Dremel tool.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old June 14, 2000, 03:09 PM   #13
Daddycat

G30.

------------------
"A rigid investment in flexability is but another closed system of thinking"
Old June 14, 2000, 03:36 PM   #14
denfoote

Without a doubt, get the G30!!!
Buy all you want, Gaston will make more!!!

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!
Defend the Constitution from the foreign threat!!!!

"Man killing is nasty business"---Finn Aggard
Old June 14, 2000, 05:23 PM   #15
loknload

If you don't have a Walther in your collection a German made would make a nice classy addition. check with Earl's in Mass. he has them.

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous
Old June 14, 2000, 06:15 PM   #16
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Of course, the James Bond special. The Walther PPK; mainly cause you got too
many Glocks already.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old June 14, 2000, 07:51 PM   #17
slickpuppy

A pre-InterArms German import PPK in NIB condition is one of the finest guns you will ever have. Earls Repair Service in Tewksbury, MA at 978-851-2656, fax at 978-851-9642, or email at [email protected] will get you in touch with the Walther man. He has a LOT of guns & parts. I just got a part for one of my Walther GSPs from him and it was in stock.

The Glock 30 is nice - I have 2. They are incredibly accurate. If you can get a pre-fingerprint model, go for it.
Old June 14, 2000, 11:54 PM   #18
RetDet

There haven't been any German Walthers since WWII. Walther was in what became the East Zone. Current Walthers have atrocious triggers, in my experience, and a weak cartridge, which is why most .380's are blowback. I'd go with the thirty, since you want a range pistol. It's superbly accurate, easy to work on, and shoots nearly anything you can stuff in the chamber. And, if you ever get in a sticky situation, the 45 will do what needs done much more effectively.
Old June 15, 2000, 05:36 AM   #19
craigz

Your gift is permission to spend your own money on a gun?
Old June 15, 2000, 09:04 AM   #20
WalterGAII

Glock, because it's superior. Also, Walther is in bed with Shiltz Und W.
Old June 15, 2000, 05:12 PM   #21
slickpuppy

RetDet,
To a degree you are correct on the Walthers. After the war the Walther tooling was set up in Manhurin, France. While many were completely built there, many were also shipped back to Germany for final fitting and finishing. You can tell by the proofmarks and the location stampings will also indicate France or Germany. Later in the 60's, just prior to the GCA of '68 manufacturing was restarted in Germany but very few came out prior to the importation ban. The above information was gleaned through various sources which I believe to be correct, but, occasionally I am wrong!
Old June 15, 2000, 08:38 PM   #22
Peter M. Eick

I would tell you consider the stainless Interarms PPK/S. I know, I know, it is not a glock, and it is not german, so it must be bad, but I have had good luck with mine (after one trip to the factory for a bad ejector).

My usual drill is to run at least 150 rnds down my PPK in quick DA/SA double taps practicing the trigger transition. In the last 4 range sessions (about 750 rnds total) not one failure to feed or fire.

Now for the problem. As I type this, I am looking at my "walther" scar on the back of my thumb/wrist where the slide nicks me. I need to get the thing dehorned, but I want more range time to loosen it up first.

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, Perfection!
Old June 16, 2000, 10:09 AM   #23
Simon

I ordered a 30 as soon as they were available. This thing is unreal. Accurate, feeds ANYTHING, tough as nails. IMO, the ultimate carry guns. (I know a little big, but TEN rds. of .45!?)
Old June 16, 2000, 10:16 AM   #24
branrot

I always thought that the double stacked mags were the "raison de etre" for getting a glock (13+1 rounds of .40 is the reason I got my G23). While I can understand the desire for a narrower grip, it just doesn't seem worth it to me in the Glock because the rest of the gun will remain thick (note: I've never shot the G30).

Regarding the PPK, it's a sweet little gun. Again, the .380 is far from the greatest caliber in the world, but the whole gun is very size efficient and shoots real well.

I'd go with the PPK. Every guy who's ever seen a James Bond movie needs to have one, so you might as well round out your collection now. You sound like you've already got enought Glocks.
Old June 16, 2000, 05:55 PM   #25
mississippi_rifleman

Tom T,

Since you already own a 1911, I'd buy the Glock so when you buy ammo, you only have to keep getting either 9mm or .45. Not to mention I wouldn't trust the .32 ACP/.380 ACP especially over a 230 grn .45. I'm in the same situation. I'm about to move to Atlanta and I want a CC gun, but I'm leaning toward the Glock .357 subcompact or a Kimber Ultra Carry/Compact/whateveritscalled. Don't get me wrong. I MUCH prefer German firearms over any other country (if your really interested why you can ask) so I would LOVE a Walther....an older Walther. A TRUE German Walther, but, right now, G30. Good luck.

PS - If your near a place that will let you try them, pick the one that YOU shoot best. If you DO live near a shop that lets you shoot it before you buy, tell me where you live so I can move there.

------------------
Ben Lee
Student, Senior
Computer Science
Mississippi State University
Fear the man that owns only one rifle,
he likely knows how to use it.
- Anonymous