The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Miketodd04

Does Hydro Dipping (water transfer) affect gun value?

Title basically says it all. I've found an interesting springer 1911 thats been hydro dipped in a carbon fiber pattern. It looks awesome, but i'm afraid that it might affect the overall value of the firearm. Any thoughts or anyone with experiance?
Old July 16, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Doyle

I would say yes. For a collector type gun, the answer is absolutely - no doubt about it. For a shooter, I would give a qualified yes for two reasons. One, the custom pattern is going to be something the original owner might have liked but not everyone else may like it. That in itself is bound to have some effect on the price. Then there is the "what lies beneath" question. If I were looking at a gun that had been dipped, the first question I would ask is "what is he trying to hide under that pattern?".
Old July 16, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

If it's done well, and it's something that the potential buyer really likes, then it may not lower the price much, if at all (assuming that the buyer isn't looking for a collector piece).

I would be concerned about the durability of a hydro-dipped finish, though. I've only seen it used on car/motorcycle parts, and I don't know how well it would hold up to sweat, abrasion, heat and cleaning chemicals.
Old July 16, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
RickB

So, you're going to use the information to try for a price reduction, or you're worried that if you buy it, nobody else would be willing to buy it from you?
Old July 16, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

I've seen firearms ruined by the Hydro Dipping process. It does change tolerances slightly, and since it's usually applied by shops that don't know guns well, it can cause problems.

It's not a process meant for firearms, and as such, I'd wonder if it was a quick way for the prior owner to cover up abuse or serious neglect. I'd treat it like the bumper-chrome and sloppy nickel plating finishes I frequently see.

Unless you're very comfortable doing a detailed strip and inspection (and if the seller allows it), I'd pass.
Old July 16, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Stealth01

Or it can be done by a shop that knows firearms, knows how to properly prepare the firearm and returns to you a properly functioning firearm!

Old July 16, 2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Yes it will effect the value of the gun if you attempt to sell it. Granted, you might find one person willing to pay a pretty penny for it, but overall, you likely won't get your money back out of it.
Old July 16, 2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

When you try to sell a house with a swimming pool, you'll find out that NO ONE really wants a pool...... whether they really do or not.
Old July 17, 2012, 12:11 AM   #9
ScottRiqui

That's the truth - I'll be retiring in two years and looking for a house back in Texas. I'll take one with a pool if everything else about the house is right, but I certainly won't pay a premium anywhere close to what it cost the previous owner to put it in.

As for the Hydro-dipping, is there any kind of coating put over it? Like I said, I'd only seen it on car/bike parts, where they top it off with a polyurethane clear coat. Pretty, to be sure, but not particularly durable.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Miketodd04

I'm not sure about the coating over the graphics. I've only seen pictures. The only reason I'm concerned is due to the amount of $$ i would spend. I like to buy firearms as an investment. Like I said, It looks awesome, but just makes me nervous.
Thanks for all of the input!
Old July 17, 2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Dashunde

This Springer, is it regular carbon steel?
The more expensive the gun, the worse it gets.
At least stainless can be bead blasted to a decent finish.

Your worried about it (rightfully so) therefore...

YOU should be the one to buy it cheap so that you dont have to worry about taking a bath on it.
It doesnt matter if you like it on a personal level, your concern is the same that the next guy will have.
And if it scratches easily or causes functionality issues you wont like it for long either.

I wouldnt touch it for anything close to regular price.
I'd be at 1/2 of normal value.
Old July 17, 2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Skans

Let me just put it this way - I wouldn't pay anything for a gun with that finish - even if it was a gun I normally would be interested in. I just don't have the time and patience to return it back to it's original condition, nor the room to store guns that I can never grow to love.

You can bet it takes people like me completely out of the market for a gun that has been finished in that manner. But, I would bet that the finish wouldn't add anyone new to the market looking for that type of firearm. A net decrease in demand always lowers the resale value.
Old July 17, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
scottl

Quote:
I've found an interesting springer 1911 thats been hydro dipped in a carbon fiber pattern.
This one was done by Springfield's Custom Shop.Photo is from Quack's Gun Blog and from this years Shot Show.

Pricing from Custom Shop worksheet.
❑ Xtremeflauge complete pistol (Custom patterns available.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Beg. $265.00
❑ Xtremeflauge slide & slide small parts only (Custom patterns available) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Beg. $150.00
❑ Xtremeflauge frame & frame small parts only (Custom patterns available) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Beg. $165.00
Old July 17, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
CCCLVII

Quote:
Or it can be done by a shop that knows firearms, knows how to properly prepare the firearm and returns to you a properly functioning firearm!
Stealth01 that is very well done. I love the detail put in to that gun. That is some thing I would be proud to own, resale value or not.
Old July 17, 2012, 09:20 AM   #15
ScottRiqui

I'm almost certain that "Xtremeflauge" isn't a water-transfer finish, but rather just a pattern that's applied with an airbrush and then baked for durability.
Old July 17, 2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Miketodd04

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old July 17, 2012, 07:12 PM   #17
RsqVet

Some people here just had to have those carbon fiber pattern guns about 4 or 5 years ago. Now they seem to sit in the used rack cheaper than a gun without it.

Frankly I think most gun people like real materials, a fake carbon fiber finsh just seem... Well fake. Love real carbon fiber materials like grips.
Old July 17, 2012, 10:49 PM   #18
Dashunde

^I agree. The fake carbon on metal does nothing for me, but the two guns above look kinda cool, nice patterns and colors.
Old July 18, 2012, 02:13 AM   #19
FiveInADime

Don't you guys know that carbon fiber makes things 32% faster? Fake carbon fiber is almost as good. If you want your gun (or car) to be fast and 4 times as durable you should deck it out with carbon fiber or at least a hydro-dipped Patten simulating it. Just like in the 70's when they figured out that fake walnut veneer made home speakers sound 10x better. Don't pass this thing up OP.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk