The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 27, 2000, 10:01 PM   #1
Hard Ball

I Recently picked up a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with a 10&5/8 inch barrel and an adjsuable four position front sight.
I am interested in lerning about the history of this model. All I nave found out so far is that it was introduced in the early 1990s and few were produced.
Old June 28, 2000, 12:23 AM   #2
Gunslinger

Referred to as the Silhouette model they were produced from 1983 until 1991. I don't know an exact number produced but there were less than the lengthy production period would suggest.
Prices on them have seemed to bounce around for some reason the last few years. They had about all dried up a couple of years ago and the "going" rate for one in 95%+ condition was in the $600+ range. However over the last year there seem to be more appearing on the market and it is not uncommon to see mint examples for as little as $450.
Smith is now making an "extreme" 12" 629, that eclipses the silhouette, priced at $1000. However with the current political climate I doubt that many will actually see the light of day. If I were you and the one you have is in any kind of shape at all I'd hang on to it unless someone wanted it really bad!

------------------
Gunslinger
Old June 28, 2000, 06:47 PM   #3
Hard Ball

Thanks Gunslinger. My pistol is @ 98% and shoots better than I do. I certainly intend to hang on to it.