The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2002, 05:15 PM   #1
M2HMGHB

Problems with RCBS products

it seems that every time i buy nad RCBS tool it breaks on me after short usage. The first was a universal decapping die that the rod broke on, and rather then paying 3 bucks less for a new rod i threw it out. About a month ago i got one of the RCBS strip primers and it worked great until i tried to change the primer seater, which broke inside the tool, so i have to send it back to Midway for a replacement. I just got a model 5-0-5 scale and it was 1.1 or so grains and it would screw up if i lifted the tray off then put it back down so i tried to do the level like they siad in the manual, well now the bar is hitting something and wont register. Any advice? Is this bad luck with RCBS or do they sell crappy products? thanks in advance

Scott
Old July 27, 2002, 06:49 PM   #2
KP95DAO

If you have a problem with a RCBS product call their 1-800 number and you will find that they stand behind their products 200%. Even if you are the one who caused it to break.
Old July 27, 2002, 07:08 PM   #3
sricciardelli

I have been using RCBS products, almost exclusively, since the early '60's. I have found them to be extremely durable and reliable.

A couple of months ago I needed some parts for an old Big Max press, and within 3 days the parts arrived in my mailbox...free of charge.

About two years ago I managed to get a case stuck in a 6mm resizing die (purchased in 1968), and not only did RCBS send me a new die, they sent me a completely new die set! Again, free of charge.

I have never had any problems with either of the RCBS scales I use (a 5-0-5 and a 10-10). Naturally, if they are not leveled, or if there is a breeze blowing across them, the readings are innacurate ... but that is not the scale's fault, it is the reloaders fault.

One more example of RCBS loyality to their customers, and honor of their warranty...

When I first purchased my RCBS handpriming tool I had 17 of the old style shell holders. These do not work on the hand tool, and RCBS sent me 17 new shell holders...free of charge, all I had to do was ship the old ones back to them.
Old July 27, 2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I have to agree with Steve (sricciardelli). I have used RCBS exclusively (except for bullet casting items, for that I use Lyman)since about 1964 and have had very MINOR problems, if any problems at all, with RCBS. About 2 years ago the plastic hopper on my RCBS uniflow powder measure, which was purchased directly from RCBS while I was stationed at Beale AFB, CA in 65, became unusable from age, cracking and me dropping it on the concrete floor :O. A quick E-mail to Mr. Jay Postman with RCBS, and he informed me that the part is no longer made and the new design Uniflow plastic hopper will not fit the old style measure that I have, however it was no problem. RCBS took a new hopper and machined it to fit the old style measure and I had it in my mailbox vis USPS Priority Mail in 4 days at NO CHARGE!

I have one of the 10-10 scales and it is not the RCBS brand but Ohaus (who makes RCBS scales) and it has always agreed perfectly with an ancient Redding scale that I bought in 61. If it is wrong then both are worng and I should have blown my fool head off long ago .

When they say their stuff is good they s*** you not.

When they say they stand behind what they sell they mean each and every word of it.

Try calling them or e-mailing them and I promise they will make it good.
Old July 27, 2002, 09:08 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

PRODUCTION CAPABLE

I use a 505 scale and the hand-priming tool (after I broke two LEE's the SAME day; kinda' busy day ).

They make real good stuff.

Do you have another experienced handloader who can physically inspect your process (is it you?)?
Not accusatory, just asking.

Holmes "Eliminate the possible....."
Old July 27, 2002, 11:52 PM   #6
MADISON

RCBS that seems to break

RCBS has been extremely good to me!!!
I have some equipment that broke after 30 years and some that wore out in a short period of time.
Get on their 800 mumber Monday and tell "TECHNICAL SUPPORT" what is wrong. They will either tell you how to get it working or will send you replacement parts.
You can also do the above by going on line:
www.rcbs.com
E-Mail them your problem.
Old July 28, 2002, 04:18 AM   #7
Andy Chadwick

I've used RCBS since the early '80s and have been very pleased with their products. They really stand behind their products, as the above posts assure you. For example, a few months ago I bent the decapping rod assembly on one of my competition dies. Found out the hard way that a case was Berdan primed. They had a replacement part in my mail box in 3 days, all at no charge.
Old July 28, 2002, 08:28 AM   #8
maxwayne

I don't think that I have ever dealt with a better company than RCBS. I once got a piece of 223 stuck in the die and they sent me a new die. When I have broke or needed something, they have usually sent it free.
Old July 29, 2002, 05:59 AM   #9
Khornet

The 505 scale

Has a pair of knife-edges riding in some kind of quartz-like notches, at the end near the pan. Check the edges and make sure the notches are free of debris.

It is zeroed by leveling with that little wheel, and if you bench is a little wobbly like mine then you can change the zero by jostling the bench and thus moving the scale. Even a small movement will change it, especially if the surface is uneven like the battered wood surface of my bench.
Old July 29, 2002, 07:13 AM   #10
Pampers

Problems?

Recently, I had the handle break off my RCBS Lubrisizer, and my RCBS Pro Melt lead pot quit heating. Both are between 15 and 20 years old (Memory fades!). RCBS sent a new handle gratis, and repaired the lead pot, also free.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old July 30, 2002, 03:41 PM   #11
Unkel Gilbey

JR 2 press

As much as I'd dearly love to have one of those Rock Chucker presses, I told myself that I would only be able to upgrade once I wore out my old press.

Well, consider that I bought the press second hand in 1979, and have loaded up some ungodly amount of rounds in 9mm, 45 ACP, 44 Spl/Mag, 30-30, 30-06, etc. Add to this that I used RCBS's Primer pocket swager on about 15000 rounds of military brass, and this sunuvagoat press is still ticking like a Timex and is showing hardly any appreciable wear! I could probably load on this thing until my dying day - and then of course the offspring could take over.

Depriming pins will break, as will other bit/part/pieces. Ask the Dillon, Redding, Lee, Lyman users - they'll tell you the same. But I've had really good luck with them, and have absolutely no complaint with them. Also, RCBS has a wicked (meaning good) customer service department, right up there along with Ruger IMHO, and they'll bend over backwards to help you.

Can't go wrong with Green!

Unkel Gilbey
Old July 30, 2002, 04:07 PM   #12
hps1

Being a competitive rifle shooter, I load LOTS of ammo! Have used RCBS dies exclusively for years. I wore out a 30-06 sizing die (it started scratching case necks) and bought another set since I felt the old die owed me nothing.

A few years later, I figured out that I could reduce bullet runout by eliminating the expander ball in the sizing die and called RCBS customer service. Asked them if I sent the old, worn out die and some cases fired in my rifle, if they could open up the neck of that die to size correct neck diameter without the expander. I _stressed_ that the die simply wore out due to heavy useage over many years.

A week or two passed and I received a brand new _competiton_ die (the old die was a regular die), specially machined to my chamber.....no charge, ppd. NO one has any better customer service IMHO.

Regards,
hps
Old August 4, 2002, 01:08 PM   #13
DD698

RCBS Products

My experience with RCBS has been very positive. Their products and technical assistance have been very good.
Old August 4, 2002, 02:12 PM   #14
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Sorry you had some problems, M2 . . . .

I am positivve RCBS will stnd behind all their products for you, just sa they have for me, for well over 30 years.

I have about as much brand enthusiasm for RCBS as for Dillon, and that's a lot! These are not the only good loading gear suppliers/manufacturers, but they are bench marks.

Best of luck--
Johnny Guest
Old August 4, 2002, 02:36 PM   #15
Mylhouse

I would dare say that RCBS' customer service is *GASP* perhaps even better than Dillon's and they stand behind their products as much so or even more so. This coming from a guy that lives 15 miles from Dillon headquarters, owns Dillon stuff, and visits the facility at least 4 times a year.
Old August 4, 2002, 02:54 PM   #16
Fred Hansen

Quote:
Problems with RCBS products
Hmmm...

I have used their stuff for 15+ years. I have bent a few decapping pins while trying to de-cap some Berdan primed cases, but that is about it. Dies work, scale works, measure works, press works, deburring gear works, press works...etc.......
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore