The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 30, 2014, 06:31 PM   #26
KyJim

Quote:
I was not intending to refute that point. I often hear it strongly suggested that Sig merely copied the Mustang after Colt dropped it and was merely pointing out what I consider to be a major (and material) difference in the designs.
Understood. I wasn't trying to be too technical since we're talking about carry experience, not how pistol designs differ. BTW, I haven't owned a Kel-Tec P3AT but would call it "basically the same gun" as the Ruger LCP. Not identical but there you go.
Old June 30, 2014, 06:47 PM   #27
gyvel

Quote:
There is a major difference between how the Colt Mustang locks up compared to the Sig P238. The Mustang locks up via barrel lugs similar to a Baby Browning, a 1911, or a Browing Hi Power.
A Baby Browning doesn't lock up. It's a direct blowback.
Old June 30, 2014, 06:57 PM   #28
gyvel

Quote:
Con: Tool required for barrel bushing removal and takedown. Hard to find and typically expensive in decent condition. Heel mag release. No last-round slide-lock feature (although the LCP is the same way). Lastly, the grip may be awkward for shooters with large hands; the trigger span is very short, and the grip safety MUST be depressed firmly for the gun to function, which requires a large-handed person to insert his/her finger much farther into the trigger guard than with most other pistols. To put it another way, you can't cheat and rotate your hand outwards; this places the hollow of the palm over the grip safety, rendering the pistol inoperable.
I agree that some of these cons depend on the size of the shooter's hands. For me, with my hands, the 1910 is a perfect fit. The pressure required to disengage the grip safety is also a function of the internal sear spring which vary in tension from lot to lot. A person could even "thin" the spring a little to reduce tension of the grip safety lever, but I never had a problem with it as is. Price wise, the ones that actually sell are usually commensurate with prices of similar new weapons on the market.

As far as a "take-down" tool, I have seen articles that refer to homemade spanner wrench type tools, but I have never had a problem undoing the barrel ring manually. YMMV

Last edited by gyvel; July 1, 2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old June 30, 2014, 07:00 PM   #29
RLM870

I EDC a Sig P238 HD and am more than pleased with it.....

As with any pocket carry, make sure that you select a high quality holster....
Old June 30, 2014, 07:06 PM   #30
6mm

I have a Taurus TCP 738, I carry in a pocket holster, when I need something small and light. Never had a failure in that little gun.
Old June 30, 2014, 07:29 PM   #31
mete

Actual experience ? Yes on things like squirrels, chucks, and feral dogs. Compared to the 9x19 the 380 was a poor substitute .Now that we have a number of small 9x19s there isn't much reason for the 380.
Old June 30, 2014, 08:40 PM   #32
IDbound

P238

Yes there are plenty of small 9x19s out there but 3 oz. of less weight make a huge difference let alone the fact that you can empty a magazine without any muzzle flip or waiting to come back on target. The small 9's can provide tougher follow up shots.
Old June 30, 2014, 08:58 PM   #33
smokehouse4444

I've had a Colt Mustang Pocketlite since the mid 90's. Fantastic shooting handgun. I have found that I do not have a problem carrying this little fellah cocked and locked with my Stays-Put pocket holster. It is the only handgun that I have that I will carry that actually has a safety on it. I do plan on buying the little Kahr CW380 when I find a really great deal on one...new or used. I'd like to keep my old Mustang for a little more elegant duty...and use the Kahr when I drop it in the pocket while doing grimy things out in the yard.

I understand why some would hesitate to get a 380 in one of the larger packages. I think the SIG P230/2 is one of the most beautiful, sexy guns ever made and would love to have one, but it is the same size as most sub-compact 9's now. I can pocket carry my Kahr CM9 just as easily as any of the bigger 380's.

As far as the power, or lack thereof of the 380 cartridge, I carry Buffalo Bore 100gr hard cast flat nose. Nasty little rounds, and I just don't trust HP's too much in the lighter calibers, I'd rather be more sure of penetrating. Underwood has some of these same rounds that are much cheaper, but I don't know if there is flash surpressant in them...although I'm not so sure it makes that big of a difference.
Old June 30, 2014, 10:05 PM   #34
Doc Intrepid

My only .380 experience has been with a Kahr P380. I've had it about 4 years now, and its been completely reliable. I've shot a few different .380s that belonged to buddies, but have never found another .380 that was as small, as slick, and as comfortable to shoot. So I've stuck with what works for me. I do carry it as a pocket gun in a DeSantis pocket holster.
Old June 30, 2014, 10:43 PM   #35
cdbeagle

I have a P232, CZ 82, CZ 83 and a Bersa. If the CZ's had decockers they would be perfect for me. The P232 is my favorite but I don't think it is worth the premium you pay for it over a Bersa. My Bersa has been 100% reliable.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:16 PM   #36
michael t

Bersa, PPK/s Colt Mustang and KelTec P3AT . Bersa good IWB and rest pocket carry. They all get carry time
Old July 2, 2014, 08:41 AM   #37
ttyler380

I have the Bersa Thunder 380 and I am happy with it. Returned a Walther PK380 for misaligned, poor fitting parts.
Old July 2, 2014, 08:36 PM   #38
cryption

Consider the sig p238 with some hot .380 and you'll be all set.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:02 PM   #39
Andrewh

actually both the guns the op lists are commander size, not pocket guns.

so not sure why op picked 380.

of the 2 listed, I hear good things about the pk380 for ease of racking the slide and soft shooting.

I own a tip up 380 beretta 86.
it has pretty harsh recoil for something in such a small caliber. but the tip up makes it nice for loading and unloading.

I have been carrying a 238 now. much lighter and less recoil.

I tried an lcp. hurt to shoot.

so depending on your reasons, maybe you did want a "larger" carry gun. not sure.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:27 PM   #40
Hunter0924

I may draw a bit of fire on this but I really like the new Diamondback .380.
Old July 2, 2014, 10:36 PM   #41
dsa1115

Just picked up a Glock 42 a couple weeks ago and it's been fantastic. I've run over 250 rounds of FMJ, in addition to Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, Critical Defense, Hydra Shoks, Starfires, and Winchester Defend JHP's, and mine has run 100%. Just added some Ameriglo night sights The G42 is very thin and literally disappears in my Crossbreed Appendix IWB....very comfortable. Not as slim and small as my LCP but I've been carrying the G42 for the past week and I've been very impressed with it's very mild recoil, accuracy and ease of carry. Much more comfortable than my G26 that's for sure.
Old July 3, 2014, 04:20 PM   #42
gb_in_ga

I used to carry a Bersa .380, and did so for a number of years. Not a bad pistol, actually. Most people who have them like them. Mine, however, was "crud sensitive". It would feed fine for a couple of magazines when clean, and then it would start having feeding issues. For a carry pistol that isn't really a problem since I only carried the pistol and 1 spare mag, and I always kept it clean. I got rid of it when I decided to quit using .380 entirely, it got passed down to a niece.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:02 PM   #43
Kev

My 380 is an Astra A-60
13+1 capacity but a bit too heavy for a pocket gun
Does carry well IWB

Old July 4, 2014, 02:15 AM   #44
hartcreek

.380s

I have owned Bersa, Beretta and Savage. They all shot fine.
Old July 4, 2014, 06:11 AM   #45
ejfalvo

In the warm (shorts and tee shirts) I carry a Sig P238. Easy to pocket and IWB. Flawless with any ammo.
Old July 4, 2014, 02:49 PM   #46
ftttu

I picked up a box of 80 grn unleaded Buffalo Bore +p for my G 42 yesterday. My wife, a non-shooter with weak wrists, did have a malfunction while I made her shoot today. Of course, I attribute it to her weak wrist since I had no problems.

I also had one of my 88 grn Remington UMC rounds fail to load. I will attempt that round in my Browning BDA 380 to see if it will take it over my Glock. Other than those two instances, my 42 has been really good.

Other than a Glock 42, I would highly recommend a Browning BDA 380 if you want a really sweet shooting experience. I think it is the perfect size for the caliber and I love the single and double trigger pulls.

I will probably stop carrying my BDA since I want to keep it as nice as I can for a pass-down/keepsake weapon. I will still shoot it regularly, but I will let the Glock to most of the work.
Old July 4, 2014, 03:56 PM   #47
amd6547

Don't retire the BDA...it will mean more to whomever inherits it if you use it.
Even though I have other options in more powerful calibers, I find myself carrying the Beretta 84F more than anything else.

Last edited by amd6547; July 4, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old July 4, 2014, 04:31 PM   #48
willr

I have to agree with 6MM. My only problem with the Ruger is that it wonstay open after the last round. It is the "click" factor that gives me pause.
willr
Old July 4, 2014, 08:54 PM   #49
Boncrayon

My son carries the Ruger LCP .380 ("mini-9mm) because of it's minute size. But it does not have any significant safety features if it remains chambered. I carry the LC9 Ruger in a pocket holster with 4 safety features! Not much bigger than the LCP, but with Hornady Critical Defense rounds, a real contender in a critical situation.
Old July 5, 2014, 04:25 AM   #50
Johannes_Paulsen

I have a Kahr P380, which typically comes out of the safe when I'm either exercising outside (mostly bicycling) or I'm in a 'social situation' where deep concealment in a pocket is appropriate. And when you put that thing in your pocket, it all but disappears.

The only downsides for me are (a) the trigger -- it's just too long for my preferences, (b) the fact that per the manual, the slide should be released using the slide lock lever, not slingshotted, and (c) I have to alter my grip when shooting it, because my thumb has a tendency to hit the slide lock, causing the slide to lock open.

It's okay for what it is, and a pocket .380 will be a compromise one way or another.