The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1
thinktwice

Light Strikes?

Does anyone know of a good defensive hollow point ammo in 9 mm that is known for soft primers? I have a Sig Sauer P-290 that gives me a light strike whenever it feels like it. It has re strike capability but I am still not comfortable carrying this pistol. I have had the problem with Federal 115gr fmj target ammo and Hornady Critical Defense. I did send the gun back to Sig, and they found nothing wrong with it. However doing sa little research it seems this is a problem with this pitular model. I really like this pistol and would hate to get rid of it so if anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have had the problem with Federal 115gr fmj target ammo
Federal generally has pretty soft primers .... If that won't work I'm not sure what to recommend.

Did they say what they examined at the factory?
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 15, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
thinktwice

Actually they said their gunsmith fired 55 rounds with various ammunition with not one light strike, however they did install the re-strike upgrade. I have no other complaints with this pistol, it feeds and ejects perfect, It just has a light strike problem. I am really stumped and don't know what to do at this point.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
It just has a light strike problem.
To me that's like saying my car just has a stalling problem. That's not a problem I want.

If you had to estimate, how frequent? Like 1 in 100, 1 in a mag, etc... And has it ever happened with defense ammo like the Hornady you mentioned or just range ammo.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 15, 2012, 09:51 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Have a gunsmith check the chamber dimensions. It could be that the chamber is slightly undersize. If it is, that would be a fairly easy fix.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
rodfac

I'd strip the bolt/frame hole that encloses the firing pin...clean it thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner and while doing it, check for any burrs. My P290 has had one light strike/failure to fire that fired on the 2nd attempt...I've cleaned mine with no further issues. Short of that, I'd call Sig again and tell 'em you've still got problems. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:41 PM   #7
thinktwice

I haven't fired much defense ammo yet. Only the Hornady Critical Defense I mentioned. Most has been range ammo, however today I did fire some mixed defense ammo today but most of it was what I had left of the Critical Defense and a few Winchester hollow points. Out of 40 rounds I had one light strike. But then last week I fired a 50 round box of Federal range ammo without one light strike. So really there is no set pattern. The only thing I see that all the ammo has in common is they were all 115 gr, and I can't see where that would have anything to do with this problem.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8
tipoc

You may want to drop by the Sig forum to see if this problem is common with a your model.

Meanwhile the gun is not good for carry till the problem is corrected. Have a smith look at it or back to the factory.

This is not a common problem with Sigs in general.

tipoc