The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2012, 12:17 PM   #26
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinney101

**New guy** Powder Issue
Okay, So I am very new to the reloading scene, luckily I have a friend that has been reloading for a couple years. However, we have come across an issue that has halted my reloading since I am a anal retentive prick. I now have a RCBS Uniflow powder measure and a cheap hornady digital scale. I use HS-6 powder and the majority of my reloading is done in a non-heated/ac garage. I keep ammo, powder and primers inside. Scale and powder measure stay in the garage. I mention all this because I think it may have some bearing on my issue.

-- I am getting very inconsistent throws out of the Uniflow and the scale seems to jump +/- .1 or .2 grains or more depending on each throw. My intial though is that the digital scale is wonky since it is left in the cold and that may truely be where my issue lies. Another thought is maybe its the powder and my uniflow that aren't seeing eye to eye. Here are some examples:

Throw one 6.8
Throw two 7.0
------
throw 25 7.3

So I figure that maybe since the scale is warming up from the heater being on I am seeing the effects of the cold/heat on the metal digital scale??

Hopefully this made a lick of sense because its hard to put it into words with out getting ****** off. I want to spend my precious free time reloading and I want consistent throws within .1 or .2 through a batch of 200 rounds.
Swinney101 is offline Report Post
A couple things to mention:
  • Search Realguns for an article by Joe where he compares powder dispensers. I think you'll find that delivering 2/10ths of a grain is about the norm for the Uniflow.
  • Make sure that the dispenser is at room temp
  • I have 3 digital scales, all were under $50, and all will show "stickiness" just like a beam scale. I use them for a sanity check sometimes, otherwise I use my beam scale for press setup.
  • 2/10ths of a grain of HS6 doesn't mean much. Always factor in the variance into to your loads.
  • Stop using a single stage press. You'll get hair on your palms and go blind.

Have fun!

Obama in 2012? Seriously?