The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 5, 2012, 11:46 AM   #151
Underdog101

How do I feel when I CC?

In control of my immediate environment.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:32 PM   #152
aarondhgraham

A teeny tiny bit,,,

...heavier on my right side.

Seriously though,,,
This is a valid topic.

Way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and I first started carrying,,,
I must admit to having a bit of an imaginary swagger to my step,,,
Now that it's been 40 years that feeling has finally gone away.

At this stage in my life it's simply a feeling of normalcy for me,,,
And a small increase of situational awareness when I'm not.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 5, 2012, 12:57 PM   #153
lawnboy

It makes me feel like a big, big man!

Yes, that is a joke.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old March 5, 2012, 12:59 PM   #154
TexasJustice7

Quote:
GlenEMeyer: The only time it bothered me was the only time I wore a fanny pack.

Once and never again. Now it bothers me when I can't carry. I have a wardrobe that accommodates carry and a selection of carry guns for different dress circumstances.
I have not found any other way to carry a S&W 625-5 45 Long Colt other than with a fanny pack. And the gun is so heavy I am much more comfortable carrying two other calbibre of guns. I always feel that my
galco paddle holster might bulge. My S&W 642-1 in a pocket holster, I am certain does not bulge nor print. To this day, I still hate going to Walmart
where someone might notice the bulge. I am more comfortable carrying there with a fanny pack than in my paddle holster at stores like Walmart
Old March 5, 2012, 04:21 PM   #155
Im a 'Pistol'

I feel much safer when i CC . If you feel like people can see the pistol outline, then consider a holster or Fanny Pack where the pistol is stored in a rear accessible compartment. I love the Fanny Pack for CC. Very handy .
Old March 6, 2012, 03:23 PM   #156
Pianoguy

I feel a little more on guard and responsible....but actaully when I read the post I realized that I had forgot I was carrying today. As long as it's concealled okay it gets kind of ho-hum.
Old March 7, 2012, 05:22 PM   #157
Erikbal

Since my first and only gun so far is a small 380, I pocket carry it in my right front pocket and don't worry about anyone noticing. I've only had it since Jan 9th and started CC the first day I got it and at first it felt weird but it also felt nice. Honestly I had waited so long and wanted to carry so bad that it was pretty exciting. I feel safer when I carry and also feel like I have a lot more responsibility not only to myself but to others as well. Even though it's only been a few months, I now feel weird when not carrying honestly. If you are worried about printing or people seeing or noticing then get a small pocket pistol like mine or an LCP or something.

Last edited by Erikbal; March 7, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:57 PM   #158
sgms

Comfortable, otherwise it's time to change what or how I'm carrying.
Old March 10, 2012, 12:24 PM   #159
Creek Henry

I feel more 'on guard' when I'm packing; like I have a duty as a resposible, armed citizen to protect all of the slackers from a madman on a shooting rampage.

But, I don't carry when I am not up to that honestly. And, if I'm not up to that, I don't go anywhere I feel might be dangerous.
Old March 11, 2012, 12:01 AM   #160
FlySubCompact

Depends on the situation.

While carrying it to the shooting range I feel happy.....this is going to be fun.

When I carry it into the house placing it into the night stand I feel a bit more secure that I have a weapon in case somebody tried to break into our home with ill intent.

If my car's fuel needle lands me at a gas station in an unsavory part of town I hope that will never have to be used.

Last edited by FlySubCompact; March 11, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old March 11, 2012, 01:19 AM   #161
wayneinFL

I remember the jitters when I first started carrying. Trust me, no one's looking at you. You'll get over it. Carry all the time, and you'll almost forget you're carrying.

I've been stuck in CA the last month or so. After a over a decade of carrying, it's hard to adjust. Ever have your wallet drop out of your pocket your wallet and panic a little when you realize it's missing? The first week in CA I kept putting my hand on my empty front pocket to check thinking I dropped a gun somewhere.

Then I'd remember I'm in the land of the hippie. Peace.
Old March 11, 2012, 02:51 AM   #162
aryfrosty

Feeling "nekkid"

I have to carry. I carried for over 30 years on the job and when I retired and no longer had 30 pounds of duty belt, handcuffs, spare mags, baton, radio, and a Sig P229 I actually walked crooked. My back hurt and I couldn't sit in the car seat straight. In honesty, after all of the years of carrying I still feel awkward when I first leave the house. I make a lot of efforts to keep my weapon out of sight. I don't want to stand out if trouble starts. I remind myself that if anything bad does happen I can't pick up the mic and call for backup and that I am really just a private person now and I don't have to control the area around me. The gun is never to first step in police work and it can't be in civilian life. It is there to save your life or the life of someone else, period. If you are discreet nobody will ever know you're carrying and that's how it should be.
Old March 11, 2012, 08:23 AM   #163
Stooge

I've been carrying for three years now, and while it felt a little odd at first, you quickly get to the point where you forget you are carrying. The only real change that came about from carrying, which has stayed with me, is in increased sense of caution and awareness. I'm more aware of of what's going on around me. I watch things. If I hear someone walking behind me, I look. If I see someone that appears suspicious, I go out of my way to avoid them. Although I carry, and am fully prepared to use the gun if I have to, I really don't want to have to use it. This is a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If the average criminal sees a person, walking upright, looking around, paying attention, they are likely to go looking for easier prey. They much prefer the lady who's walking through the parking lot, head down, texting on her cell phone, while juggling her purse looking for her car keys.
Old March 12, 2012, 12:56 AM   #164
stevelyn

Quote:
How do you feel when you CC?
I feel nothing.

I've been carrying a gun professionally in one manner or another all of my adult life. They're a normal thing for me.

I was a little more self-conscieous about it when I carried in an OWB holster because the muzzle was constantly getting exposed. But now that I carry strictly IWB I don't give it a second thought.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 16, 2012, 02:28 AM   #165
coolbreezy

carrying has given me a new sense of calm, I'm actually not so quick to fly off the handle anymore. In a way, I feel that carrying is an over all improvement to my demeanor.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old March 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #166
dancarpenter95

Safe!
Old June 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #167
Red Dog

There have been some helpful comments made on this thread. Thanks

I've been semi carrying for a few months now and I do feel different when I don't carry. I don't carry to work,sporting events,church or any place that I "know" something isn't going to happen. Yes I feel silly saying that, if I had the crystal ball and could see the future I would avoid those places altogether. I'm playing the odds here.
Old June 25, 2012, 02:34 PM   #168
aryfrosty

CCW

Red Dog; Don't take this the wrong way. I won't challenge your list of places where you don't carry but I want to add this. I have carried concealed, on and off duty, for over 38 years. I carry wherever I go because there is absolutely no way to know when it might be a good idea to have a weapon with you. Even your own home is no longer safe...I have knowledge of dozens of home invasions where having a gun at hand would have saved lives. And if your home can't be safe against violent crime where can you be safe? I have a personal friend who lives in one of the safest of neighborhoods and in a comfortable home who was a victim of a home invasion...He and his wife were sitting around one morning when an escapee ran out of gas on a nearby freeway and who then came through the woods and walked right in and picked up a handgun the homeowner had lying openly and then he took my friend and his wife as hostage. My friend was brutally assaulted and tied up and sat on his own couch. BAD MISTAKE for the escapee since my friend managed to slip loose and grab a S&W snubby he had concealed in the couch cushion. He then shot the crap out of the criminal and ended that foray. As I sit in the den writing this and having coffee and my wife works around the house I have at hand a nice little S&W M-640-3 loaded with .357 mag Glaser Safety Slugs. The odds are stacked solidly against you if you cherry pick places where you think you won't need a weapon. If you truly won't carry everywhere you go I honestly suggest that you get into training for any of the "empty hands" martial arts disciplines you can find. You might end up having to get close and touch for that to work whereas a firearm will give you standoff capabilities but at least you'll be better prepared and if the monkey does back into the electric fan you won't be sitting on your hands wishing you had something to use.
Old June 25, 2012, 03:02 PM   #169
Chuckusaret

I have been carrying since 1987 and feel naked if I don't have the weapon on my hip. It has become part of me and I seldom know it is on my side.
Old June 25, 2012, 03:38 PM   #170
mrt949

Started carrying in 1983 .I will carry till I become dust .
Old June 25, 2012, 04:27 PM   #171
kimbershot

i've had a c/c permit for 40 yrs. i am very conscious as to when and where i carry and i do not broadcast in any way, shape or form that i am carrying. how do i feel--well--less vulnerable. i am basically a homebody--you won't see me out at 2am. i am also a realist--as i get older, i recognize that i appear more of a target for something bad--hence i carry more often (pocket seecamp 32 mostly). it isn't the most powerful man stopper--it's strictly defensive. i also carry a colt officers model 45 in colder weather.

recently moved to sc and got my permit there. kept a ct permit in force and will soon apply for a fl. permit. so--how do i really feel--good!-
Old June 25, 2012, 08:14 PM   #172
Win73

Quote:
I don't carry to work,sporting events,church or any place that I "know" something isn't going to happen.
You "know" nothing is going to happen at church?! You haven't heard of the shootings at several churches in recent times?

I carry at church. I know of at least two others who also carry at my church. And it is not a large church. The pastor knows it and he approves.

No place is completely safe anymore. You never know when some scum will, for whatever reason, decide to start shooting. And they choose places like churches and schools where they don't expect any armed resistance. They know schools are "gun free zones". You notice they seldom if ever try it at police stations.

I carry at home. As I type this I have a gun in my pocket. And two others are strategically located around the house.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old June 25, 2012, 08:24 PM   #173
dayman

I feel about the same - maybe a little more reserved.
I see carrying a gun as something like wearing a seat-belt - a little bit inconvenient, and only a necessity if something's gone horribly wrong.
If carrying a gun makes you feel significantly different, I'd question whether you should carry a gun at all.
Old June 25, 2012, 08:28 PM   #174
B.N.Real

Frankly,it's there for the .0000000000001 percent chance I might need it.

Feels good to have it with me but guns don't amaze me much anymore so it's just a tool to me.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:00 PM   #175
RBid

"normal".

I carry all of the time, everywhere I go. Keys, wallet, cell phone, emergency cash, Ruger SR9c + spare mag, and a Kershaw Clash (I carry a SOG Trident Tanto on my 'weekends').

The only time I feel any kind of excitement about it is when I realize that I have time to sneak in a range trip. My carry pistol is a LOT of fun to shoot.