The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Muad' Dib

Quote:
1. I'm sure Ruger will make it right, although I admit it is a pain.
I'm sorry, but "making it right" is exactly what Ruger didn't do! Nothing personal, but it becomes extrordinarly tedious to hear the constant refrain of, "Ruger will make it right" as another person is exposed to a failing Ruger pistol...
Old December 18, 2011, 08:56 PM   #27
checkmyswag

Lets get scientific w it. What ammo was used in each case. Check out my thread on my LC9 not firing Remington ammo. Related? I don't know. Mine was carrying part of the previous primer onto the next strike.
Old December 20, 2011, 04:10 AM   #28
Praxus

LC9 Failure

@Muad' Dib, let me first say i love the handle and love the Dune series. Secondly, when I say Ruger made it right all I mean is that they repaired the pistol and it hasn't failed since. It was a hassle free transaction with the manufacturer and they did not try to jerk us around by playing games, they were very fair. That said, this is the first Ruger that I have ever owned and to be honest this has made me think twice about purchasing another in the future despite the fact that they repaired the pistol. I have owned several glocks as well as a sig 250 and I have never experienced this type of failure. My biggest fear is that this may have happened in the unfortunate event that I had to defend myself or my loved ones. Had that been the case I would probably not be posting this thread. I have absolutely no reservations when carrying my glocks, but when I'm carrying my LC9 this is always in the back of my mind. Back to your original post, this is the first ruger i have ever owned and the one that failed belonged to my father, mine has exhibited no failures after several hundred rounds, but .......

@checkmyswag, the ammo being used was winchester white box 115 graing fmj which I have had no problems with in any other pistol in the past. Neither my fathers lc9 or mine have ever fired any reloaded or non standard factory ammo.
Ruger LC9
Old January 9, 2012, 03:54 PM   #29
harley0908

New Ruger LC9 extractor failure

I just took my new LC9 to the range yesterday to try out for the first time.
I was using Magtech 95grain, FMJ for target.

I loaded the 3rd magazine of 7 and bam..... extractor stopped working. i had to drop magazine... get the spent round out and try again.
Happened next 3 rounds I went to try to. I went to gun shop next door
to range for them to take a look...
Was told to send back to Ruger for warranty repair.
Shipping back tonight after work.... so disappointing.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:16 PM   #30
johnbt

"it becomes extrordinarly tedious to hear the constant refrain of, "Ruger will make it right""

It's true, whether you like it or not. Some manufacturers need to take lessons from Ruger in production quality and customer service. In 40 years I've only had to send one Ruger back, and they made it more than right - they threw in a free trigger job.

John
Old January 27, 2012, 09:05 PM   #31
vedecals

just happened to me too.

Hi all.

I too spit the same parts out of my lc9 today. But I admit to using my own load. This may be my own fault or not. It was my 3rd shot from a full 7 round magazine. The first 2 shots were fine. I had to drop my mag for the slide to open up. In the chamber I found a chewed up case with no primer in it. I know, I know, it is easy to say over pressure, and I agree. But the more I read tonight the more I say hhhmMMM. I ordered the parts today from ruger assuming it was my fault. Hopefully I can figure out how to install the parts easy enough. The parts list says it does not have to be sent to the factory for this repair. I let you know what happens soon.
ALL FEEDBACK IS WELCOME.....
Old January 27, 2012, 11:06 PM   #32
Vermonter

I loved mine

Until it needed a third trip back to the factory. Mine broke the slide stop spring. Then failed again. Ruger wanted to fix it a third time. I was having none of it and moved to a Glock.

Ruger has a great rep but my most recent expirence has me turned off.
Old January 28, 2012, 03:48 AM   #33
fivepaknh

I just noticed all the people with the LC9 issues are very new members with very low post counts. The members that have been here a while have no problems with their LC9's. I have one and love it. It only has about 200 rounds through it, but no issues. Hmmmmmm.........gets you wondering if someone just has an issue with Ruger.
Old January 28, 2012, 03:58 AM   #34
Sport45

Mine had a few failures to fire the first time I had it out. Found a brass shaving in the firing pin hole at the breech face. Dry firing cleared it and it hasn't hiccup'd since. I carry it with confinence.

I too, would like to see a picture of these ectractor failures.

Never carry a gun you haven't tested at the range!
Old January 28, 2012, 10:28 AM   #35
vedecals

It shouldn't matter how long people have posted here, it matters that they are sharing their experience with other people. Don't know what you are implying, but these posts are to a forum, and could stop someone from receiving a serious injury.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:23 PM   #36
bpbshooter

Ruger LC9

I just went to the range today, and experienced the same issue with my LC9. I have about 200 rounds through it of Remington UMC, 115 grain. I will be on the phone with Ruger tomorrow to see if I can get this thing fixed. Will let you know the outcome of my experience.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:47 PM   #37
djcantr

I have a LC9 and experienced a failure of the firearm as well. I'm a mechanical person and like to know how things work. This often involves me disassembling them to see how they function. I had my LC9 apart to clean it a couple weeks after I bought it and I had ran a couple hundred rounds through it. I thought I'd see how the guts of the gun function as I pulled the trigger with the slide off. I pulled the trigger and the hammer catch spring broke. I had to send it back to Ruger for repair. I'm not sure if you would rule that as my fault or the firearm's fault. I probably shouldn't have pulled the trigger with the slide off but I also don't think the hammer catch spring should have broke after doing that once. When I got it back in the mail they had also replaced the firing pin. I haven't had any problems with it since. It shoots great and cycles well.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:10 PM   #38
madmag

I
Quote:
just went to the range today, and experienced the same issue with my LC9.
bpbshooter, just to be clear. Did you have a problem with your extractor coming off?
Old February 15, 2012, 09:14 PM   #39
pjp74

This is definitely weird, I bought my LC9 last October, have probably close to 500 rounds through it, and the only failure I have had was from some hard primers. I have had no failures to extract or feed, I currently own an SR9, SR9C, LC9, LCP, 22/45 MK III, and a 10/22, and hopefully an SR1911 soon.

Other than the hard primer issue with my LC9, no other failures whatsoever with any of my other Rugers.

I am nothing but happy with Ruger, their customer service is top notch, in fact last week I had to order a mounting base for my 22/45, it was out of stock, the rep. apologized several times for being out of stock, and said for my inconveince he was going to throw in an extra mag free of charge. Package came today, sure enough, mounting base and a brand new factory magazine with no extra charge. They know how to treat their customers.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:06 PM   #40
BarryR

LC9 Experience

Just noticed this thread, new member. Purchased an LC9 last week. The 21st round blew the extractor out, which the dealer replaced with one out of another LC9. Shot 250 rounds through pistol Saturday multiple FTF with Winchester White Box, UMC, and Federal. Light primer strike on numerous different rounds. Front site fell off gun to which I made a shim .0002 to secure to gun. Additionally the rear site fell out, maybe my bad for not tightening securing screw although I had not loosened it prior to shooting. Mine is a 321-xxx serial number. I have multiple Ruger fire arms and have never experienced any failures with any of my other firearms. Is it worth the effort to send to Ruger and have it modified. I have spoken with 3 other owners who experienced the same issue, sent the gun back and are still have the FTF's.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:22 PM   #41
madmag

One thing got my attention. The newer LC9's (mine included) have a roll pin holding the front sight. This was a running change made by Ruger, so it looks like yours might be an older model??

My SN is 320XXX so I am confused. You should have a pinned front sight??
Old February 27, 2012, 04:40 PM   #42
Marquezj16

I have the only LC9 that has not failed yet!

Three first time posters and it was the same LC9 failure...not good
Old February 27, 2012, 04:43 PM   #43
madmag

Quote:
I have the only LC9 that has not failed yet!
Add me to the no failure list.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:45 PM   #44
Marquezj16

I hope I did not jinxed myself.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:01 PM   #45
checkmyswag

Regarding issues w ammo. Search my posts ro find a pretty extensive series of posts of what ammo works well and what doesn't.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:06 PM   #46
9mm

Quote:
I just noticed all the people with the LC9 issues are very new members with very low post counts. The members that have been here a while have no problems with their LC9's. I have one and love it. It only has about 200 rounds through it, but no issues. Hmmmmmm.........gets you wondering if someone just has an issue with Ruger
new posters, post here and say it's failing.

Are they for real? I am about to buy one.

I don't credit new people that much.

Show pics!

I have heard from countless long term forum members LC9 is great, and I have shot one with about 300 rounds down the pipe.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:16 PM   #47
rnpollard

My wife brought her LC9 to me the other day...

with the extractor and spring in a baggie. She was clearing the pistol and it "just came apart!" I took it to the shop where I bought it and they told me to call Ruger for a call tag. Ruger immediately sent up the UPS label and it will go out tomorrow.

I was very disappointed. This was the first semi automatic pistol that I've been able to get my wife to feel comfortable with. Luckily we still had our trusty S&W Mod 36 ready to be carried again.

I think we will stick with a wheel gun for the time being.

[email protected]
Old February 29, 2012, 09:20 PM   #48
rnpollard

My wife brought her LC9 to me the other day...

with the extractor and spring in a baggie. She was clearing the pistol and it "just came apart!" I took it to the shop where I bought it and they told me to call Ruger for a call tag. Ruger immediately sent up the UPS label and it will go out tomorrow.

I was very disappointed. This was the first semi automatic pistol that I've been able to get my wife to feel comfortable with. Luckily we still had our trusty S&W Mod 36 ready to be carried again.

I think we will stick with a wheel gun for the time being.

FWIW, I am a retired US Army First Sergeant. I've trained hundreds of people to fire a handgun. I'm not new to handguns by any means. I carry a 1911 daily and occasionally carry my Glock 26.

[email protected]
Old February 29, 2012, 10:08 PM   #49
Johnnymurad

I am sure I have put well over a thousand rounds of reloads through mine and no parts have fell off yet
Old March 1, 2012, 08:56 AM   #50
kalevatom

My wife hasn't had a problem with hers. I haven't shot it in a while, so I think I'll give it a good workout this weekend.

Tags
9mm , extractor , failure , lc9 , ruger