The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 27, 2004, 09:05 PM   #1
boofus

Grenade Launchers!

Anyone here have a title 2 grenade launcher? Not the 37mm launchers but something like the M203 or M79. They count as Destructive Devices with each explosive round also counting as a DD. So I can see how expensive actually shooting the things would be. But the practice chalk rounds are completely civvie legal with no tax stamp. That transferable MK19 full-auto launcher on CCFA's site looks like fun but at $450,000 not counting the ammo no thanks.

After the awb-sunset I'm thinking of getting an AR15 with all the nice evil features and then dressing it up with a launcher.

You'd think since launchers were DDs and still legal to manufacture and transfer they would be a tad cheaper.
Old May 28, 2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Chipperman

You can get the flare launchers for much less, and no tax stamp. They look almost the same. The chalk rounds won't fit, however.
Old June 3, 2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Dark Tranquility

If you were an FFL you could pay the $500 per year and have unlimited transfers with no sign offs. Then you could buy all the 40mm grenades you wanted to for only the cost of the grenades. Although you could also be convicted of tax evasion (not sure maybe not).

The reason why they are so expensive is simple supply and demand. How many people out there across the country are currently considering the purchase of an M203? 10, maybe 15 tops. Mr 40mm is the only one that I know of who is currently producing them. Occasionally you’ll find an original Colt floating around. What I’d really like to see is someone begin current production of some nice single shot 20mm rifles and ammo.

Personally I think it seems like a lot of money to shoot chalk rounds. Supposetly the 40mm white phosphorus grenades are not considered DDs and can be shipped right to your door. But I’ve never seen them for sale.

Check out these sights:

www.mr40mm.com

http://www.37mm.com/

http://www.freewebs.com/grog/index.htm

Dan
Old June 8, 2004, 05:19 PM   #4
MicroBalrog

Why does that Mr40mm person sell his M203's sans barrels?
Old June 8, 2004, 08:36 PM   #5
Chipperman

Looks like you can get it with a 37mm barrel if you want.
Old June 10, 2004, 10:50 PM   #6
MicroBalrog

But what is the point if you can't shoot 40mm milspec grenades?
Old June 11, 2004, 04:23 PM   #7
Chipperman

B/C you don't have to get a Tax stamp.
Old June 17, 2004, 04:08 PM   #8
Sleuth

This has been widely discussed on other forums. No maker of explosive rounds will sell them to anyone but the Gov. Way too much liability.
Old June 17, 2004, 05:25 PM   #9
MicroBalrog

Any link proving that?
Old June 18, 2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Sleuth

Sure. Go to www.subguns.com and read through the old posts. This is a very busy site, so it may take a while, but the folks there, far more knowledgeable than I, have explored this in depth. No one has been able to find a manufacturer of HE rounds who will sell them to the public, even to Class 3 dealers. They may sell them to a PD, but then it's Govt. contract, and the PD cannot resell them to you.
ATFE takes a very dim view of anyone trying to evade their regulations.