The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Venom1956

new wwb issues?

While I know wwb isn't exactly the gold standard in ammo its my usual fodder just because its plentiful and reasonably priced. I've been having more and more issues with newer stuff I've purchased compared to the older stuff I've had for 6+ months. Numerous fte. I've also gotten loose bullets and empty brass in my bulk packs.

Anyone else having similar issues? With wwb or other brands?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 24, 2014, 07:16 PM   #2
tahunua001

I don't buy WWB. I've seen way too many pictures of smashed brass, inconsistent seating depths, chrono readings with very wide variability. add to that WWB is usually a couple bucks more than anyone else anyway. I've been seeing bad press on the WWB since I started shooting handguns about 5 years ago. it seems like they have bad QC in spurts.
Old July 26, 2014, 10:50 AM   #3
candr44

What caliber is it? I have had numerous failure to extract problems with their 9mm in some of my guns for more than 10 years. WWB gives me more problems with extraction than any other brand.
Old July 26, 2014, 10:53 AM   #4
TunnelRat

I had those problems a few years ago. Lately the QC seems better. That said I shot some last weekend and the loadings seemed inconsistent. Cheap ammo ftw.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 26, 2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Pico

OK for break in but

One time shooting WWB I thought it was the gun or me. When I changed to a different ammo, I shot much better. Just saying, if you shoot poorly with it, try another ammo before looking elsewhere.

Pico
Old July 26, 2014, 04:17 PM   #6
TailGator

I shoot lot of WWB in 9 mm - several thousand rounds. I had one box that had a few hard primers, and another box that had a few rounds with mashed case rims. I contacted Winchester about the latter and they had me send the bad rounds back to them so they could see them. They sent me a couple of $10 coupons by return mail to compensate me for my trouble, if I recall correctly. I thought that was a pretty decent way to handle it, personally.

It's cheap practice ammo, and it's OK for what it is, IMO.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Karrill

I bought some of the wwb nato (124gr) when the ammo crunch was just letting up last summer. Went to the range, had several fte's, and it was leaving the guns very dirty on the inside of the chamber. After shooting what I normally use, the dirt was cleared back out lol.

last time I plan on shooting wwb if I can help it
Old July 26, 2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

I haven't bought WWB in years. Some years ago the extraction groove on the WWB cartridge was different than most rounds. (This following portrays the round laid on it's side on a table top...) It looked like "\/" rather than "\|" so that the extractor didn't have a FLAT bottom to grab...

I don't know if it's still that way, but back then it caused a lot of guns to have extraction problems.