The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Pistol Suggestions for a 9mm
Walther P99 AS 22 38.60%
Walther PPQ 22 38.60%
Other pistol that isn't a Glock, Beretta PX4 and 92, Kahr CM9, XD/XDs, SR, or Sig 938 8 14.04%
One of the pistols you said you didn't like and I want to be stubborn or I just didn't read the OP. 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 26, 2014, 10:13 PM   #26
wild cat mccane

Actually, there is a comparison between the P99 and the Canik TP-9.

http://wookieswords.blogspot.com/201...lther-p99.html

I am waiting for the Desert Tan to come back and I will be picking up the TP-9.

(Great job on discontinuing the Tan Walther--not )
Old June 26, 2014, 11:16 PM   #27
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
If you like DA/SA, then why are you going striker at all - just because of price point? Something like the SIG SP2022 would be a good contender here it sounds like.
I have been wondering that myself. I guess I'm trying to branch out and try something new, and with the p99 being a step in that direction. My biggest thing I was looking for was a compact size 9mm (something I can tuck away into my car safe when I go into work). That's why I had looked at all the smaller sized 9mms, and not spent as much focus on the full size. I've looked at the SP2022 multiple times, and I know Sig Sauer is great brand. It's just never really spoken to me.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old June 27, 2014, 12:36 AM   #28
kinoons

I'll be the dissenting opinion regarding the P99AS; I had one and hated it. There is a small "bump" where the long and light AS trigger pull passes the shot and light SA trigger point is. You actually can stop the trigger pull at that moment and have a SA trigger if you want it; or you can keep pulling until the pistol fires.

That bump drove me crazy; I couldn't get accustom to it. I sold it and never looked back.

On the other hand, the trigger on the PPQ is perfection.
Old June 27, 2014, 01:00 AM   #29
Water-Man

Another one to look at is the new Sig P320 Carry.
Old June 27, 2014, 07:17 AM   #30
kcub

You could get a used HK which will still be functional long after we've all been consumed by worms.
Old June 27, 2014, 08:57 AM   #31
PP99

What about the Magnum-Research-MR9-Eagle-15-Round?
Old June 27, 2014, 09:10 AM   #32
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
On the other hand, the trigger on the PPQ is perfection.
That is a matter of opinion. One I disagree with very much.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 27, 2014, 09:35 AM   #33
kinoons

Quote:
That is a matter of opinion. One I disagree with very much.
Any discussion regarding triggers is a matter of opinion, I thought that was implied. Fortunately that is why there are such a large and varied number of firearms being produced; look long enough and you'll find something you like.
Old June 27, 2014, 09:49 AM   #34
wnycollector

My new EDC is a S&W 990 in 9mm. Other than a S&W logo and stainless slide it's a Walther P99 QA. I have ~1500 rounds through it without a single hiccup. This gun eats anything from Russian steel case,RNL reloads to +p+ jhps.

I would buy a either the PPQ or P99 AS without hesitation.
Old June 27, 2014, 10:07 AM   #35
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
What about the Magnum-Research-MR9-Eagle-15-Round?
Since the baby Desert Eagle is made in the same Turkish factory as the Caniks, I would assume that the MR9 is the same as the Canik TP9.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:44 AM   #36
marine6680

I fondled one if those caniks... Interesting design.

It was comfortable, and the trigger wasn't bad, it could be called... Good.

The decock is a little odd in a striker, and the set type style the trigger acts like in its "SA" mode would take a little getting used to, like an odd DA or two stage trigger, I think it stays set for subsequent shots... Can't remember. It did have a short reset if that is something one likes.
Old June 27, 2014, 12:48 PM   #37
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Any discussion regarding triggers is a matter of opinion, I thought that was implied. Fortunately that is why there are such a large and varied number of firearms being produced; look long enough and you'll find something you like.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Some people make those bold claims, and expect everyone to agree with them.

Personally I prefer a slightly heavier striker trigger. To ME The FNS-9 trigger is my favorite to date.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 27, 2014, 02:59 PM   #38
sopwith21

Regarding Kinoons complaint about the P99...

The "bump" in the P99's trigger is easily averted by pressing the manual de-cocker, which puts the pistol back in true double-action format.

The P99 is one of the few striker pistols to offer a means of going from DA to SA via an internal mechanism rather than a hammer. It's actually quite handy and a wonderful, innovative feature once you learn to use it.

If you really don't like it, press the de-cocker after racking the slide and you'll never feel it again.
Old June 27, 2014, 07:20 PM   #39
PP99

Quote:

Kahr Arms, is a USA based manufacturer, so I would assume that the MR9 is not the same as Canik.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:05 PM   #40
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Kahr Arms, is a USA based manufacturer, so I would assume that the MR9 is not the same as Canik.
Where in the world did Kahr come into this discussion?
Old June 28, 2014, 02:29 AM   #41
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
You are right. I found that the Magnum Research pistol is a licensed copy of the Walther. It's made in the U.S. on a German frame.
Old June 28, 2014, 07:04 AM   #42
Pilot

Must you have polymer? If so the P99 is a fine choice, as are many others however, you may want to consider the CZ-75D PCR lightweight, alloy compact 9MM. My favorite carry, and all around pistol.
Old June 29, 2014, 04:42 PM   #43
kinoons

Sopwith21:
Quote:
The "bump" in the P99's trigger is easily averted by pressing the manual de-cocker, which puts the pistol back in true double-action format.
True, but that does negate one of the big selling points of the AS trigger. I moved past that ship many years ago and then relatively recently got my PPQ; I just point out this issue because if it bothered me, it may bother someone else.
Old June 29, 2014, 10:42 PM   #44
Fishbed77

Quote:
Since the baby Desert Eagle is made in the same Turkish factory as the Caniks, I would assume that the MR9 is the same as the Canik TP9.
It is not.

The MR9 is a licensed copy of the P99 that is made by Magnum Research (which is owned by Kahr) in the US on a polymer frame that is made by Walther in Germany.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:29 PM   #45
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
Must you have polymer? If so the P99 is a fine choice, as are many others however, you may want to consider the CZ-75D PCR lightweight, alloy compact 9MM. My favorite carry, and all around pistol.
My CZ 75BD is one of my favorite guns of all time. If I stumbled across a PCR before picking up the walther, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I just haven't seen any locally, used or retail. Kinda like Bigfoot, I beleive it might be out there somewhere, I hear people talking about it, but never seen one for myself.
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 2, 2014, 05:29 AM   #46
JimmyR

And the decision is made

Ok, so I was planning on a Walther for all this time. I see this CZ P07, and think it might be a decent pick, but I'm set on the Walther. Then the price starts dropping...and dropping...and dropping. Finally decided to make an offer, and I can get it with 2 mags and a polished feedramp for $350.

How could I say no?

I guess now I have even more time to think about whick Walther I want, but for now, this is gonna be it.
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 2, 2014, 06:58 AM   #47
Uncle Malice

Geez, I don't even like the P07, but for that price I'd pick it up too. haha.

Congrats.
Old July 2, 2014, 07:16 AM   #48
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
Geez, I don't even like the P07, but for that price I'd pick it up too. haha.

Congrats.
I know! I mean, I like the feel, but wasn't in love with it. I'm cheap, though, and a good quality cheap gun, I think I can handle.
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 4, 2014, 01:10 AM   #49
JimmyR

I picked up my P07 today, and wrote a review for TFL here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...26#post5872426

I will be asking the mods to close this thread, as the discussion is pretty much over.
JimmyR nailed it.
Closed Thread