The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1
fsfty

Carry question

I'm in NY so I can't carry now, but with everything that's gone on here this week, I applied for my Utah and Florida CCW licenses with the hope of leaving here soon. Thing is, being from NY, I've never carried. I bought a S&W model 36 as my carry gun, but also have a Glock 19.
How do you guys carry? Inside waistband? Ankle? What holsters would be good for the S&W? Thanks.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Where are you in NY? Geographically, most of the state issues carry permits.

I'm in NY (for now), Broome County, I carry a Glock 33 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3
fsfty

I'm on Long Island...can only carry to the range and back but I don't do that; I just case the gun. What about a pocket holster for the model 36?
Old January 18, 2013, 10:18 PM   #4
The Great Mahoo

I carry on my belt. I generally prefer IWB for concealment, but have grown much more comfortable w/ OWB over the last few years.

My main carry options:
1: Ruger Sp101 3" in an IWB w/ speedstrips in an ammo pouch on my belt, or OWB with a speed loader on my belt. My main holster is from Simply Rugged, allowing for OWB or IWB w/ "inside out" straps. I also have a Desantis holster I use for OWB now and again, when I want a retention strap.

2. Glock 36 IWB with a holster from K&D leather (whose website appears to be down). Also have a Don Hume OWB, which actually gets used more often these days than the IWB.

3. NAA Guardian 32 in a pocket holster, I'm not sure which make.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:39 PM   #5
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Geographically, most of the state issues carry permits.
I always learn something new here. I always thought you needed to be ''connected'' to get a carry permit. I know there are a lot of hoops you have to jump thru.

Anyway, to the OP, I carry my sub compact IWB and my full size pistol on a belt holster. {leather}
Hope your able to flee the state soon. I don't know that I could deal with NY. God bless you guys that do.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 18, 2013, 10:52 PM   #6
fsfty

I deal with NY only because I have a good job here. People in NY who are law abiding, working and tax paying are abused, plain and simple. Once my job is gone, so am I. For those outside of ny, understand that the city is the problem, not the rest of the state; except for the public unions.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
alex0535

Inside waistband is probably the most concealable and most practical option.

Consider a pocket holster for the Utah winters if you end up there, useful for keeping your gun in a nice accessible place with heavy clothes on.

Ankle holster has the disadvantage of being easiest to draw from using both hands, one hand to pull up your pant leg and the other to grab the gun. I want to be able to draw my gun easily and the ankle just isn't conducive to that.

Another thing is to get out and practice with it even if you can't carry it yet, try to make it out to the range. The model 36 is definitely one that demands practice. We have one as well, and they shoot accurate enough if you do your part but if its going to be your carry be sure you can shoot it well.

I don't feel like I am nearly as good as I could be with mine, I feel confident that I could engage a home invader at the distances that situation would call for and hit center mass but I would feel better if I could do this repeatedly at 25 yards. This handgun isn't a carry gun for me at the moment either. In any case I need more practice with it.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
I always learn something new here. I always thought you needed to be ''connected'' to get a carry permit. I know there are a lot of hoops you have to jump thru.
Yeah, the major cities are the problem. While they constitute an unfortunate number of people and issue permits only to influential and connected, geographically speaking the vast majority of the state issues carry permits regularly and a large portion is effectively "shall issue". The process is somewhat annoying and lengthy but it's very often not nearly as bad as its legend.

Bad enough, as I believe no permit of any kind should be needed, but not as bad as people think.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:05 PM   #9
fsfty

I ve been shooting it single action but will practice double. I was surprised how accurate it was 15 yards out. I love the gun.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:23 PM   #10
jimbob86

Re: the S&W model 36- that hammer spur might make drawing from a pocket problematic ......

I had a Ruger sp101 (3") in .357 ..... while I really like the gun, I just could not find any way to carry the thing IWB in any manner that could be construed as comfortable ..... I found that revolvers are ....well, round ...... and don't sit under your belt very well. A 5" steel framed 1911 rode better, with less printing than the Ruger did, even though the 1911 was a bigger, heavier gun- Old Slabsides was flatter. JME, YMMV.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:25 AM   #11
SFsc616171

Carry question

For the Model 36, a nice pocket holster works fine, preferably a Mika holster. For the Glock ..... uh, seriously, i dunno!
Old January 19, 2013, 12:47 AM   #12
TheNocturnus

Carry my Glock 30 OWB at 4:00 in a Tagua leather paddle holster soon to be replaced by a Serpa CQC holster. I prefer the retention of the serpa.

Sorry about the new laws in New York, it is a travesty.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #13
capt Ajax

I use a back pocket hoster for my Smith Airweight:

Old January 25, 2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Gaerek

I carry my Glock 19, in a crossbreed style IWB holster. Very comfortable...very concealable.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:36 PM   #15
michael t

I have used a Don Hume leather pocket holster for my S&W 36 for years . When arrives is very tight and will need practiced with . When broken in very good holster. I have tried the cheaper man made ones but always go back to my leather Don Hume . I also have for. PPK/S, Colt Mustang,
Old January 25, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

S&W J frame...

For regular carry, I'd buy a great DeSantis Nemnesis pocket rig & for belt carry a black polymer SERPA holster. The Blackhawk SERPA comes with both belt/paddle attachments.
Learn & understand the use of force/gun laws; www.handgunlaw.us www.gunlawguide.com .

Clyde
www.blackhawk.com www.policehq.com www.natchezss.com
Old January 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #17
jaytothekizzay

I dont see any 7 round glock mags bein made anytime soon... I feel sorry for everyone in NY. Better start packing a slingshot
Old January 28, 2013, 05:19 PM   #18
craZivn

I love carrying my full-size PX4 in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe at 4 o'clock. Super stable and I can hide it under a t-shirt.

Recently I bought an LCR, which is small enough for 1 or 2 o'clock carry, so I'm trying that out. It offers some advantages over 4 o'clock, like being easier to draw while seated, but is not nearly as stable of a ride as the SuperTuck. The Supertuck is more comfortable as well.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Grant D

I carry my J frames in a OWB holster.
I'll carry my Model 37 in my front pocket,but not that often.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:45 PM   #20
MLeake

Your regular activities will impact what works best.

For instance, if you are seated most of the time, then most of the time front pocket carry would make the gun inacessible.

If you walk a lot, ankle carry could be uncomfortable.

Body shape, clothing preferences (or requirements, such as dress code) will all be factors.

Pax has a chapter on this in The Cornered Cat, IIRC. Available as an online resource, or as a book you can buy.