The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #26
Sharpsdressed Man

After 44 years of packing a handgun, with many of those years concealed and thoroughly prepared to quick draw if necessary, now that I am a regular citizen again, I sometimes carry in an ankle rig. Being less concerned with someone getting the "drop" on me, I feel keen enough to sense it when I go from a relatively safe zone to one needing more readiness, at which time I discreetly remove my gun from the ankle holster, and put it in the waistband, in my hand, or concealed under a newspaper, paper bag, etc, for fast response (like in a vehicle). You do not have to operate from a disadvantaged position, or wait to draw if you feel threatened, you just have to be discreet within the limits of your surroundings. Having a gun on the ankle that NO ONE looks at is better than being unarmed, or having your gun spotted when you do not want it to be.
Old April 24, 2013, 03:23 PM   #27
Seaman

“I can't imagine ankle carry of anything but maybe a Kel-Tec P32 or P11 last-ditch, I'm-on-the-ground-already piece, because I have spinal arthritis and degenerative disk disease that would make bending to draw the gun, then straightening to use it, difficult and slow. Carrying a Charter Arms .44 that way is something I really can't imagine, even with a good holster rig.” [shouldazagged]

I have spinal osteoporosis which makes bending over problematic, instead I go vertically down to one knee and draw my gun, keeping my back straight (no bending). I cannot draw quickly from an OWB/IWB strong side holster because this involves moving/twisting my back a bit while drawing. At times wearing a shoulder holster can cause serious pain, especially with heavy steel.

Today my back is giving me trouble so its a 40 cal Sig P229 on the ankle... have also carried a 45 ACP Micro Compact 1911 on the ankle. Once acclimated to ankle carry, many compacts can be used. Can’t manage a 44Mag tho, but the (slightly larger than a J-frame) Charter Arms 44spl does just fine.
Old April 24, 2013, 05:13 PM   #28
shouldazagged

Forgot to mention, my knees are gone too. Need replacements, but it ain't in the cards.

More power to you!
Old April 24, 2013, 06:32 PM   #29
dayman

I've never managed to get pocket carry to work for me.
I keep a knife, wallet, and keys in my right pocket, and my phone in my left, so there's no room there, and I don't like sitting on things.

I do sometimes carry in a vest/jacket pocket, but I like to be able to take off layers without having to transfer a gun to a new pocket, so not often.

Kind of the same deal with my ankle holder. I usually wear slacks/jeans and loafers, and my BG380 hides pretty well down there. Also, as nobody really looks at your ankles, it's a pretty good hiding place.
I usually wear it when I know I'm going to be sitting a lot and IWB would be uncomfortable.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:32 PM   #30
michael t

I wear jeans and a T shirt year around In cold weather I ad a warm jacket .
I carry a KelTec 380 in my jeans have for years Some times my S&W model 38 in a Dom Hume pocket holster . If I carry my Colt Defender I use a belt slide holster and carry under the t shirt. No reason you can't pocket carry .
Old April 26, 2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Sebring Pop

carry

Quote My lcp, Sig P938, Ruger LCR-22 and S&W 38spl fits in my levis front pocekts in a few differenat pairss and on my mark anothy pairs, maybe your is tight. But when I wear jeans its on the ankle because pockets are used for storing other things. Unquote

The only thing I can add to this is I carry my LCP or 37 2" in an IWB holster in my cowboy boot.

Thanks Pop

IN GOD WE TRUST............ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old April 26, 2013, 03:54 PM   #32
bikerbill

I'm retired and spend most of my time in cargo shorts and a t-shirt ... add in the 100-plus degree days here in Texas and pocket carry has turned out to be my best option most of the year ... when I'm home, an NAA Pug wanders around with me. If I'm out of my little town, a Kahr PM9 slides right into my pocket, a spare mag on my weak side. I got an XDs a month or so ago and after I run another 100 or so rounds through it, I'm going to try pocket carrying that instead. It's really very effective if you practice, with the advantage of being able to have your hand in your pocket and gripping the gun with nobody the wiser.

I'm 5-10 and 160, jeans pocket carry doesn't work for me ... I hate the feel of anything -- plastic or leather -- against my skin, so IWB is pretty much out ... no ankle carry, too ancient to bend fast enough to get to it.

Pocket carry takes getting used to, but I've been carrying the Kahr that way for the entire 10 years I've been licensed and its like second nature.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:42 PM   #33
IDAHOMIKE

I dress in a similar fashion most of the time Bob. I like boots that are pretty tall, and even though a 7.5 inch SAA fits, it don't see it as a viable option. And pocket carry of anything is pretty much out. I am fortunate to live in an OC friendly state, so I don't always worry about deep concealment. Furthermore, I cant tolerate pants that are loose enough to allow comfy and easy to draw pocket carry.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:00 PM   #34
CSG

I suppose it depends on what firearm one carries. I carried IWB for years but when I became a civilian again and moved far away from my old jurisdiction to a quiet rural area, I just never felt the need for as much firepower as I once carried.

For many years I carried a little Beretta 950 .25 in a Mika front pocket holster. That's now been replaced with an LCP .380 carried the same way.

There are times I still strap on a .45 (in the backcountry on SAR missions) but otherwise, carrying the little .380 makes pocket carry easy.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:08 AM   #35
shafter

Quote:
I see the question come up concerning pocket carry, and at times, ankle holsters. This makes me curious, as I can in no way conceive of either being practical to me, nor to most men I know.

My usual daily attire is jeans, either Lee or Wrangler, Wrangler long sleeve shirt, and western boots. Sundays its Wrangler Wranchers, dress shirt, and sport coat. Most of my friends wear similar clothing, maybe Dockers or similar casual trousers.

With jeans, there is no way I could put even the smallest pistol in my pocket with any hope of getting it into action in a reasonable time. And boots certainly aren't conducive to ankle holsters.

So how do y'all dress to go out into public daily that permits pocket carry?

Bob Wright
Although it's IMPOSSIBLE to draw with anything resembling speed I've discovered that carrying a snubnose revolver in the top of my boot is quite easy. I put it in an uncle mikes holster IWB holster. Again, its not fast especially with boots but it is very concealed.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:51 AM   #36
farnorthdan

I pocket carry a LCP in a nemesis holster in my back wallet pocket, been carrying this way for years. This is my backup piece to my IWB 1911. If I'm only carrying the LCP I don't even notice that its there. I've literally worn the bluing off 80% of the gun, its always there. Never have been able to find an ankle holster that I liked so not real fond of that method.

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:51 PM   #37
Colorado Redneck

Deep Concealment

Has anybody here tried one of these rigs?

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/shop/c...ulder-holster/

It looks fairly compatible for guys like me and Bob Wright. I usually wear jeans (never wear shorts except when we take the boat out) and often wear boots. I can't hack baggy jeans or cargo pants. Nothing against them, they just aren't me. I have enough fat that a belly band would be uncomfortable (IMO) and an IWB would be a nuisance.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:40 AM   #38
oldhunter

At 5'10", 230lbs and 70 years old, I do have a few options. I usually wear Wrangler relaxed fit jeans and can pocket carry my LCR, Kel-Tec P-32 or NAA Black Widow .22mag. Do not own an ankle holster but can see where it could be an option. Don't have to worry about a gun falling out if I ran because with bad knees and back I can not run. I am a firm believer that any gun is better than no gun and whatever holster/gun combination makes a person feel better about carrying a firearm is what concealed carry is about.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #39
Shadi Khalil

I pocket carry a J-frame when I'm wearing shorts and sometimes in pants. I much prefer OWB for comfort, speed and concealability.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #40
southjk

I would think that if you ankle carry, as soon as you sit down you have just exposed your gun. Is it just me or don't your pants legs come up some when you sit down? Some places that may not matter but in some states you could get in trouble. I suppose if you had it hidden inside cowboy boots that's one thing but most people don't wear boots.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:05 PM   #41
KSchilling

Colorado Redneck,

I have a deep concealment holster and really like it. I got the modular holster so I can get different size holsters for the pistols I have. It also allows me to move the holster were I want it. I ware boots and jeans most days I tried IWB and it was not comfortable. I ware the deep concealment holster all day long and it is very comfortable. It is not a quick draw holster but faster than ankle carry.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:08 PM   #42
Straightshooter629

[QUOTE]I would think that if you ankle carry, as soon as you sit down you have just exposed your gun. Is it just me or don't your pants legs come up some when you sit down? Some places that may not matter but in some states you could get in trouble. I suppose if you had it hidden inside cowboy boots that's one thing but most people don't wear boots. [/QUOTE

I carry my Rossi 462 in an Uncle Mikes ankle rig on a regular basis both as my primary carry as well as a BUG when working, without any problems. Having a heavier frame helps (I'm 6'/260 lbs). As with anything method of carry, you have to practice your draw to become proficent.

As far as exposing you weapon when seated, I found that wearing your sock OVER the weapon prevents the weapon from becoming exposed. Just saying what works for me.