The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 21, 2009, 12:41 PM   #1
jg0001

Airsoft for indoor/at home training

What does everyone think of Airsoft guns for indoor/at home training? I'm referring mainly to items such as unholstering/holstering, trigger pulls (i.e. in lieu of dry firing), etc. I picked up a Walther PPS airsoft that looks and feels VERY much like my real Walther PPS, and even snaps into the holster just the same. The magazine drop lever, trigger, and overall weight & balance are also very close to the real deal. FYI: I got it for only $20 at Sports Authority; paid a little more for an electronic gel target and some extra (plastic) BBs.

[Safetywise, I wear protective lenses, but otherwise I don't think the little plastic BBs could do much from a richochet, if that were to occur.]

Thoughts?
Old May 21, 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Microgunner

Picking up the plastics pellets is a not a lot of fun and you'll always miss a few which seem to show up at night for you to step on. Don't shoot them in your home.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:10 PM   #3
KChen986

You should be safe; I've been nailed in the eye from a richochet while upgrading my Airsoft M4, thankfully left no damage.

Honestly, I'd reccomend it heartily. While the recoil is far less than a real gun, holstering and manual of arms trainin will definitely be beneficial. You can also practice sighting targets in from holstered.

Last edited by KChen986; May 21, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:20 PM   #4
raftman

The higher quality ones are obviously the most accurate representation of the real thing (compared to the cheapo ones you can get for $25), and these are likely to be more powerful than the cheap ones as well. As a result, using them in the house is NOT a good idea. They can put craters in drywall, they'll easily break an LCD screen or anything of the same softness.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
jg0001

Given the dimensions of my place, I'm not shooting from more than 15 feet, I'm shooting at a gel faced target (w electronic scoring), and there will be a pillow behind it. I don't think the 6mm plastic beads exceed 300fps, and I'll be wearing standard shooting glasses. Nothing easily breakable is in the same room.

A lot of this is to get better at monitoring my trigger finger movement and being sure I'm not twisting the gun. The BBs are not very accurate, so I'm more concerned with my form than where the BBs actually end up (again, we're talking 6mm plastic BBs, not metal pellets).
Old May 21, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
kiov

I know they will shatter a beer bottle. If you do shoot in your house you need a confined area and backstop.
Old May 21, 2009, 05:41 PM   #7
AK103K

I have a couple of KJW P229 gas guns and shoot them in the house all the time. The biggest danger is breaking one of the old ladys knic knacks or lamps, or having her step on the BB's. You really do need to be careful of some things though. The bb's will dent drywall and other surfaces, and crack window panes, etc.

The gas guns are great for realistic practice, they work just like the real thing and while the recoil and blast arent there, you still have to track the sights as the slide cycles, so its pretty realistic.

I mostly use static targets for draw and shoot, etc, but fighting the kids and working on situations in the house can be very useful.

For my static targets, I use a piece of the blue house insulation with the "kill zone" of your basic IPSC target cut out, and a towel stapled to the top and sides along the edge. I leave the bottom unstapled so the bb's can drop out and I put a small pan underneath to catch them. The bb's hit the towel and drop out the bottom. I just staple a paper target over the cut out. If you should miss, the bb will just go into the foam. These are easily moved to set up pretty much any kind of situation you want, and allow a 360* indoor range.

They look like this....

The orange flagging hanging on the target is a visual cue that there is a live gun in my holster and not to shoot. You do need to pay attention, especially right after you have been shooting and switch out the guns. Most of my practice involves moving while shooting, and its very easy to just draw and shoot. The guns are so close, the only real difference between the them is the result of the hammer falling. For me, the ribbon is just another step that forces verification.
Old May 24, 2009, 03:40 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

While I do not use airsoft, I do practice draw and fire drill wiht a bb gin. It is a liscensed replica of an M&P 40, I have a 45 for the real one. The bb gin has better sights than my real one does(night sights) go figure. It fits perfectly in my holster, the grip is the same. I do use it outside. CO2 cost a bit, but a lot less than ammo for 45 acp. It helps quite a bit actualy, without the worry of having a discharge of a live round. My neighbor and I both enjoy shooting ours. He has a bb replica of his Walther PPK. size is the exact same. Weight is similar to the unloaded one, look is very similar, unless you were looking real close or picked one up you would not be able to tell them apart.
Also it is just fun. I have fun with it, you never know when soda cans on strings hanging from a tree branch might try to attack.
Old May 25, 2009, 04:52 PM   #9
rduckwor

I too train with airsoft pistols. I mainly use mine for draw and sight acquisition training. Mine is an all-metal 1911 model that is remarkably close in weight to my IDPA/USPSA gun. The trigger is pretty good and the safety and action work very well. I know that I don't have the recoil of the real thing, but building the muscle memory from the holster to trigger break is helpful for me.

It allows me to go into the garage and put 100 rounds down range in about 45 minutes. I use miniature targets at about 10M to simulate the longer shots of the various game stages.

Give it a try and see what you think. Warning, don't go cheap on the airsoft pistol and wear eye protection. 300fps isn't fast until one hits you. Set up a back stop that will stop flyers safely.
Old May 31, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
yorkiepap

Hey guys,
I like to also keep in practice with my handguns & find these .177 CO2 pistols are excellent to practice with. In addition, they are quite handy dispensing the inundation of chipmunks & red squirrels infested here. The 2000S Silhouette is extremely accurate & hits at 25M can be done regularly. The Walther is an 8-shot w/rotary mag that also has a laser in the t/g. I have replaced the scopes with 4-reticle holographic sights that are very easy to acquire.

Denny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ag1.jpg (62.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg ag3.jpg (51.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ag5.jpg (87.1 KB, 44 views)
Old June 2, 2009, 03:30 PM   #11
Steamboatsig

This is me "practicing" in my living room. Lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5rYNoMCTpc
Old June 6, 2009, 11:03 AM   #12
EricReynolds

I have that same model Walther P99 as Yorkie, although I think you have the deluxe version. Mine is more basic but an EXACT replica of the real thing. Even the police couldn't tell the difference. (that is a completely different story for another time!) It's CO2 powered and fires metal pellets that can actually penetrate human flesh. Understand that this really isn't a toy and safety cautions should be taken, such as eye protection. For the house? Yes and no. Ricochets are possible, so I wouldn't in the living room or anywhere you have things that may break. A basement however is ideal for practicing. Pros: It's not loud like the real thing, so ear protection isn't neccesary. Pellet are much cheaper than bullets, so plink away! It's not discharging a firearm in city limits to shoot it in your house. It's good for getting used to holding, aiming, drawing etc. Cons: It's not the same kind of accuracy as a real gun. It has 0 recoil. The cons aren't neccesarily bad, but just so you know that it's not a true representation of firing a real P99, or whatever model you get. All in all, they are great fun though!
Old June 6, 2009, 11:05 AM   #13
EricReynolds

Steamboat, what is the make and model of that Glock? I like it!
Old June 14, 2009, 05:53 PM   #14
EricReynolds

For that matter, is it for sale?
Old June 14, 2009, 07:17 PM   #15
paul26

i just got one glock like that there are 100$ on ebay
i got a 9.99$ adapter for propane and i am still on the first bottle after 10000 rounds
the only problem that i have is that my kids use the gun more then me
but i make them pick up the rounds in the yard
very good training tool