Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Cousin Pat

Brand Name Discussion

For comment --

1. The best brand name in single action revolvers is -- Colt
2. The best brand name in double action revolvers is -- Smith & Wesson
3. The DA and SA brand name for "like a rock" handguns is -- Ruger
4. In brand value (regardless of actual quality), no other non-custom revolver brands come close to these 3.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Bob Wright

You don't leave much to be said there.

Try sayin' something controversial.

Bob Wright
Old December 3, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Flyboy_451

I'll suggest one correction.

Best brand name in single action revolvers is--Freedom Arms

JW
Old December 3, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Best brand name in single action revolvers is--Freedom Arms
Best SAA made... certainly the FA. Best known brand name in SAA, still have to go with Colt. Lets face it JW, the average shooter doesn't have a clue about FAs.

Hey Bob... look! Controversy! OK... more semantics I guess, but hey, just keeping the thread running. Next well have someone jump in and say Korth makes the best brand name in double action revolver.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Flyboy_451

OK Creeper,

I won't argue on the best SA when you consider widely known production revolvers. Just had to throw that in for the aforementioned controversy

With all the single actions that I own, it's kinda funny that I don't own a Colt. I can't claim that it is due to expense; I own more than one FA, as well as multiple customs by names such as Linebaugh and Bowen. No excuse really...

Gonna have to change that!!

JW
Old December 3, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Creeper

He he he... I'm just playing with semantics, and I just had to respond to Bob's "controversy challenge".

Every time I cock an FA, I get a little mechana-geek thrill. I owned a Hamilton Bowen "lightweight" for awhile... so best of both worlds, a Bowen-Colt. Never been much of a wheel gun fan in truth, so I traded it for a Jim Clark-Colt pin gun. At least I tend to stick with Colts.

Cheers,
C
Old December 4, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Bob Wright

I've never owned a Freedom Arms revolver. Nothing against them, you understand. Just don't appeal to me.
Never seen one color case hardened nor blued. And they come with those laminated wood grips. And, well, they just don't have that smooth flowing look of a Colt, Ruger, or a Uberti.

Friend of mine bought one many, many years ago and I got to shoot it some, a .454 Casull. Accurate, and potent, but again, just didn't tickle my tumblers.

Bob Wright

(Now there's controversy!
Old December 6, 2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Flyboy_451

Hey Bob,

Nothing wrong with preferring something else. That's why they make Fords and Chevrolets. If you get the chance, you might check out the FA model 97 with fixed sights. They have the same grip shape as the big model 83 (which I think is great for hard hitters) but it is a much smaller and more traditional styled gun. more like the Colt SAA, but built to the same mechanical standards of fit and finish as the 83. I doubt you would argue the quality of the FA revolvers, but I can appreciate different tastes.

JW
Old December 7, 2012, 05:57 PM   #9
RJay

Now, I believe Korth makes the highest quality revolves and automatics
Old December 7, 2012, 07:08 PM   #10
BigJimP

I'll take a large frame Freedom Arms revolver over a Colt single action any day ...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1339790943

This one I had made in a 4 3/4" ocatagonal barrel in .357 mag....last year...and I still marvel at the craftmanship on it. I understand their design or cosmetics are not for everyone...but I like them a lot.
-------
As to the other 2 categories - for me, in my opinion - its S&W all the way ...nothing is more rugged or built stronger than a S&W, in my view - not Colt, and certainly not Ruger. I will put Colt as a close 2nd to S&W - but to me, Ruger, is a distant 3rd...

But everyone should buy and shoot what they like ...I have buddies that will not ever buy a S&W ...to them its Ruger all the way ....or guys that are Colt die hards..../ there is room in the pool for all of us ...
Old December 7, 2012, 07:14 PM   #11
shurshot

Cousin pat, you nailed it shut, no dispute from me!