The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2009, 07:35 PM   #1
GHF

BPS High Capacity vs Mossburg 590

I am a lefty, so these are the only two pump shotguns I can easily use because of the tang safety.

Is there anybody out there who knows both have any comments on which one to use as a home/hurricane gun.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
mp25ds4

id have to say go for the mossberg, i love mine
Old September 21, 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
LanceOregon

The Browning is definitely the better made gun. The BPS action is as slick as can be, and the bottom ejection is real nice, in my opinion. Probably has a clear edge for anyone who is left handed.

The only Mossberg combat shotgun that I would recommend would be their brand new autoloading Model 930 SPX:

Old September 21, 2009, 08:44 PM   #4
jmr40

I've never had the 590, but compared to the Mossberg 500's I've owned and used the BPS is a much better choice.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5
zombieslayer

My Mossberg 590 is my favorite shotgun. Maybe my favorite weapon! Its tough, has 9rd capacity, and is very affordable. And its been a proven tool for military and LE use for many years. That said, I have no experience with the BPS, but browning make quality stuff.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:26 PM   #6
mavracer

Mossberg is a nice gun But the BPS is better smoother and bottom eject for a southpaw it definitly gets my vote.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 21, 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
zombieslayer

Is the BPS made by FN? with the browning name?
Old September 21, 2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Both are good guns. Get the one that feels best...
Old September 21, 2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Slopemeno

Be aware that there's a whole world of shotguns out there that can be easily modified into left-hand use. Left handed safety buttons are available for Reminton 870's, Ithaca 37's, Browning Auto-5, etc. Check out the Brownells catalog.
Old September 21, 2009, 10:05 PM   #10
LanceOregon

All Browning BPS shotguns are made in Japan by Miroku under license from FN.

Miroku makes very high quality firearms.

Checkout this photo:

See this web page for more info:

http://www.miroku-jp.com/gun/index.html

--
Old September 21, 2009, 10:20 PM   #11
zombieslayer

I believe you. FN, Browning, and Japan make great products. I've got a couple mossbergs, but maybe I'll check one of the BPS out @ the gunshop
Old September 21, 2009, 10:52 PM   #12
TangoMcBlasty

Cost!!!

Something that isn't talked about often in a home defense shotgun is cost. A Mossberg 500/590 is hundreds of dollars less than a Browning BPS. Given that a home defense shotgun is something that you will, in all likelyhood, never use except for practice (ready for mall ninjas to flame me for that one), it's hard to justify the cost of a BPS for that purpose.

I too am a lefty and looked at these two guns for HD. While I loved the heft and smoothness of the BPS, I was hard pressed to pick apart the Mossberg for reliability and durability. In light of that, I went with the Mossberg 500 and haven't regretted my choice. It's tough as nails and has eaten and cycled every random brand of gun range ammo I've ever fed it.

Hope that adds some helpful perspective.

Also, if you're into the tactical look, it'll be A LOT easier to find accessories for the Mossberg.
Old September 21, 2009, 11:45 PM   #13
TxGun

A Mossberg 500/590 is hundreds of dollars less than a Browning BPS.

-----------------------------------

Eh, maybe about $100 in some cases. Usually the difference is much less.
You can usually find the BPS Tactical for less than $400.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=140267272

As much as I like Mossberg/Maverick shotguns for the money, the BPS is a better built gun.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:08 AM   #14
colostomyclown

not in this case. for the price of the browning though, get the 590a1.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:47 AM   #15
LanceOregon

Quote:
Something that isn't talked about often in a home defense shotgun is cost. A Mossberg 500/590 is hundreds of dollars less than a Browning BPS. Given that a home defense shotgun is something that you will, in all likelyhood, never use except for practice (ready for mall ninjas to flame me for that one), it's hard to justify the cost of a BPS for that purpose.

How can one justify spending extra money to simply protect your life and the lives of your loved ones? Obviously, such things of low value do not deserve spending a lot of money on.

In sharp contrast, it does make much more sense to spend a lot of money on a sporting shotgun that you use far more frequently for recreational purposes.

After all, which is more important to you? Your family, or your hobby that you enjoy?

The answer seems to be rather clear to me.

--
Old September 22, 2009, 01:24 AM   #16
colostomyclown

the cost of the bps hi-cap is around the same price as a 590 (450-500ish new). Go with the 590 because of availability of parts. the bps isn't a bad gun by any means though. i got my 590a1 at Cabelas and couldnt be any happier. you live in Florida - a very humid, wet place. look into a 590 or 590a1 Mariner (they make both, both are great)

Last edited by colostomyclown; September 22, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:30 AM   #17
TangoMcBlasty

Quote:
How can one justify spending extra money to simply protect your life and the lives of your loved ones? Obviously, such things of low value do not deserve spending a lot of money on.

I knew I'd get smartass comments like this. Maybe I need to be absolutley clear. I cannot justify spending more money on a gun that doesn't provide any more "life protecting ability".

If you can prove to me that the BPS will protect my life better than a Mossberg 500/590, I'll go buy one for me and all my roommates and I'll write my Congressman to urge the armed forced to get rid of their 590s and 870s and replace them with BPSs. I'll do the same with my local PD.

You do what you need to do sleep well at night, but don't bring your lame sarcasm around here just because you think others haven't spent enough money on their guns.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:45 AM   #18
zombieslayer

Just saw 590a1 at gander mtn for $449. The Browning does look nice, but I CAN say my mossberg has thousands of 12ga rounds thru it and its stone reliable.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:57 AM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
So what you are saying is that if the Mossbergs simply cost more, they would be a better gun for defense? Or are you saying that the Mossberg platform is junk and unreliable? Either is wrong! what is wrong with a firm that builds a sturdy reliable product but isn't inclined to price themselves higher than they need to make a decent profit?
I haven't owned many shotguns but all were Mossberg made. All were AMERICAN MADE and none has needed a single repair or upgrade to keep them running...
Like the ford versus chevy argument... They are not the same. The chevy small block is durable and reliable and the bolt ons abound... I can assure you that dollar for dollar you will make more power with a chevy than any other small block platform...
Brent
Old September 22, 2009, 09:24 AM   #20
a7mmnut

I'd say feel them both. I've given up Mossberg for the BPS years ago. I would like to remind you that even on the BPS, the action bar release button will still be on your off-side (left), though much larger and easier to manipulate with your index finger. The trigger, action bars, and safety are much smoother on the BPS. If you want to shoot interchangeable chokes for other reasons, the Browning barrels will go down to 22" with a vent rib--not much longer than the 590. If you switch to magnum loads, you will get some powder fouling residue flung out the side of the Mossberg with quick follow-up shots. There will be none of that with the bottom-eject BPS. After mounting a Redfield scope mount and red dot on mine, I can say it has become an unreplaceable tool for quick death I have come to love for deer, turkey, and HD alike. The decision is personal, and I'm all about personal $$$. The choice is definitely all yours, and good luck.

-7-
Old September 22, 2009, 05:20 PM   #21
Lee Lapin

There are a lot of reasonably priced BPSs out there- Mossberg 590s are about the same or more. I'd say it's a question of preference more than price. Try both, at least handle both, before making up your mind.

lpl
=======

BPS Hi Capacity on GunBroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140851187 NIB Buy It Now $399

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140461394 No Reserve

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140925798 NIB BIN $370

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140933522 NIB BIN $349

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:33 PM   #22
LanceOregon

Quote:
You do what you need to do sleep well at night, but don't bring your lame sarcasm around here just because you think others haven't spent enough money on their guns.

It is you who ( as others here have so clearly demonstrated in their posts ) so grossly exaggerated any price difference between these two guns. You made an obviously UNTRUE STATEMENT that the guns were "HUNDREDS" of dollars apart in cost, when that really is not actually the case at all.

And then you make this strange and bizarre statement about justifying prices between self defense and sporting shotguns.

If you don't like hearing such reactions, then I would recommend that in the future that you attempt to:

1. Be more accurate when you make claims

and

2. Be far less outlandish yourself in your own statements.

--
Old September 22, 2009, 06:19 PM   #23
TangoMcBlasty

1) I got my 12ga 7+1 20" Mossberg 500 for ~$200 at a local shop. I've never seen a Browning BPS for less than ~$400 at the local stores. I did my shopping and I stand by my words.

2) I don't see how my statements were at all bizarre. My Mossberg is just as effective and reliable as a BPS at defending my life and my home. I won't be using it for clays or hunting so I don't care about balance or smoothness of action or anything like that. I just need it to work when I need it (and I have no doubt it will). That being said, I didn't feel the need to pay for what the BPS offers over the Mossberg. I don't see how this is an outlandish statement.
Old September 22, 2009, 07:01 PM   #24
oneounceload

Giess my contention, as a fellow LH, is why are you worried about a safety?

The ONLY safety you need is the one between your ears.

My 500 sits, hammer down, chamber empty, ready to rack, magazine full...........I have a handgun for initial defense

I shoot shotguns every week....NONE have any type of safety I would use - either the chamber is loaded and I'm ready to pull the trigger, or the chamber is empty....no exceptions
Old September 22, 2009, 07:22 PM   #25
TxGun

It's only logical to use MSRP, a well-known standard like Academy, or several examples of sales on Gunbroker for price comparison. Ex:...I've bought two LNIB BPS shotguns, both for >$300, but that ain't the usual. And I've bought 500s in pawn shops for $125...and that ain't the usual either. I don't have time to do the shopping tonight, maybe later.

And remember: this thread was initially about the BPS - 590 comparison, not the cheaper (for a reason) 500.

Last edited by TxGun; September 22, 2009 at 07:38 PM.