The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 5, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Rem1187

Hog Hunting Questions?

HEy Guys,

I live in NJ and am interested in going Hog Hunting in the future. Where are the places closest to me that offer hog hunting at an afordable price. How much does a decent guided (nothing fancy)hunt for 2 people usually cost? Is the success rate on these hunts good? Also how would a remington1187 with brennekes work for me as I dont have any high power rifles. Can I bring my sig 9mm as a back up gun as its all I have? I understand that its not an ideal backup caliber but what loads would you recomend for it. Also how is .223 on hogs as I am looking into getting a saiga.

Thanks a lot!
Rem1187
Old March 5, 2007, 09:19 PM   #2
tatso7

I dont know what caliber is a remington 1187 but I killed 4 hogs, one is a little above 200 lbs. with a bow so that remington will probably do the job. I usually pack a .45lc single action revolver with me when hog hunting. It just a matter of shot placement. Here in California, you can hunt wild hogs year round and there are still public lands available with good success rate (lake sonoma area and monterrey peninsula ). Most hogs here are taken on private lands. You can search California DFG for links of outfitters for guided hunt.
Old March 5, 2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Legion2600

Yea, here in Texas you can hunt them just about anytime with anything you want. They are a real problem in some areas. A slugged shotgun will be more than sufficient. A .223 will do the trick as well. Look around different boards with "hometown" sections like www.ar15.com has. They often have pig hunts on somebodys land and it won't cost you a dime - in fact most will thank you for getting rid of a problem.
Old March 5, 2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Desertfox

I recommend the shotgun not the .223 unless you are going to place a nice shot in the head/neck. If you are not an experienced hunter, you are more than likely to be excited and just shoot it in the pig, not pick a spot.

Study shot placement for your quarry. .223 in my opinion is too small to be shooting body shots. The pig may die, but it may be 2 miles away and 6 hours later. Head/neck shots drop em fast.

I know people who drop pigs all the time with .223's but the one I know is a crack shot and knows pig anatomy and shot placement. He takes head shots from the front to quartering and behind and below the ear from behind and quartering.

Pistol back-up is a good idea. Run and Jump back-up works too if you get the herd running away right at you. I know of noone who was ever charged by a hog. I have taken my share with a bow and arrow. I have been within 10 feet of a hog and stuck him and he ran the other way. I have had a herd of 8 pigs scatter after a shot and run right by me. If I was standing in a trail, they may have run directly at me.

With the shotgun, you can get a pretty quick second shot. Maybe on the same pig, maybe on a second.

Good luck and have fun. Feed stores have information on hog hunts sometimes or someone who has a hog problem you could contact.
Old March 5, 2007, 11:04 PM   #5
armedtotheteeth

I use a 300 WIN MAG. Forgive the crappy pic. ( As hilarious as it is ) I actually picked off this piglet's mom at 500 yards with this rifle. Interesting fact about piglets. When you shoot their mother, they scatter. AND THEN THEY COME BACKI know New Jersey is way up in North Texas, but, We got Pigs something bad here in Central Tx. This piglet was one of 11 in this litter. They breed like rabbits. There where 70 in our wheat last weekend. I only carry about 5 rounds, so a few escaped. ( Until next time)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piglet pic.jpg (43.0 KB, 89 views)
Old March 7, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
rrj731

I don't know where you can hunt them but I know you'll enjoy it! Your shotgun will kill any hog that walks with any slug that shoots well in it. Your pistol is better than nothin and provides some "get off my leg" medicine if you really need it. In 20 years of chasing them I have had 2 charge me- both were big boars. I shot one at about 3 feet and ran from the other, he chased me about 100 yards before giving up. All others have run like the wind from me. You stand a better chance of getting hit by lightning but that happens somtimes too. Go get you some!
Old March 7, 2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Rem1187

Armed to the teeth funny pic!

Thanks guys!
What load in .223 would you recomend.
Thanks
Rem
Old March 7, 2007, 09:45 PM   #8
banditt007

.223 will work, but so will a .22 short if you place it right. I'd stick w/ the shotgun with slugs that it shoots well. .223=head and neck shots using a NON-VARMINT bullet. you'd want a controlled expansion bonded bullet or a softpoint. There is a lot less room for error for a .223. stick with the slugs IMO its much more ethical.
Old March 8, 2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Smoke Screen

Oregon

What about Oregon? I hear Oregon has some wild pigs( non-game/unregulated species) but I don't know where to hunt them!! Gonna go get me a couple hogs this June in Oklahoma though, I'll tell you that much!! BTW, I'm using a Marlin Lever action .357 or a 270/308. Using my ruger security six as a SHTF gun.
Old March 8, 2007, 11:04 PM   #10
armedtotheteeth

Thanks Rem1187. If you think the pic is funny , you should have seen the Dance it did when the 300 Winmag hit him. Actually, its not funny, but he did dance a bit.( I have to satisfy the animal lovers) I am an animal lover myself. I Love beef, and Sausage, and Ham, and Bacon, ( OH BACON) and Chicken and Bacon, and Sausage and Bacon, and HAM.