The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 29, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Rock River Arms LAR-15

What can you guys tell me about it? I've had it for over two years. I've only shot it a handful of times and I'm getting more into it tonight. I've had it out of the safe and been playing with it.

I also, want to get rid of that rail. It's a Troy tail and it weighs a ton. Anyone want to trade? Or know how much I can get for it?

I don't know much about Rock River let alone AR's. I'm a handgun guy when it comes to "knowledge"

Old December 29, 2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Doc Intrepid

Rock River Arms has a pretty decent reputation for being reliable and consistent: a reasonably quality product at what was - about two months ago - considered to be a moderate price. (Currently it seems the sky is the limit - its worth a lot more today than it was two months ago.....)

If it works for you, then you really don't need to worry much about it.

(Probably a little late to be worrying about it anyway, at least right now!)

Not sure what you're looking for in place of the quad rail - lots of guys like the Magpul MOE polymer option. It's lighter, at least. Some of it depends on whether you see yourself needing anything attached to it or not.

In terms of value, here are some brand new quad rail options on Amazon at about $40.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ad%2Caps%2C397

I'm sure you can find a Daniel Defense quad rail at three times this price or more, but not sure its going to either weigh less or work better for the cost. The point is that yours used isn't likely to be worth a lot more than one of these new, unless you find a guy who just aches to own a used Troy quad rail.

Unless the weight really effects your shooting, I'd just keep it on there. It looks okay to me, and you may find that you want to add a light one day (or some other attachment).

Shoot it often and enjoy it!
Old December 29, 2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks Doc!

I like it a lot. I did have a red dot on it and a light. I sold them for some money that I needed badly a year ago though.

I like the rail a lot. It's just really heavy. I do want something lighter. Another quadrail and maybe aluminum.

You're right, I'm not going to sell it. I'll keep it around for when I go to the range and want to rest it for plinking with the bipod I have for it.

For drills and work though, I don't like the added weight.

Know any good brands of quad rails? Or it doesn't have to be such a high class brand name?
Old December 29, 2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Doc Intrepid

Regretably, no. The AR-15s I own are both more than 30 years old now, and they're basically stock - the original polymer foregrips are what I've used since I bought them. (I've never had a need for lasers or lights, etc.)

I'm building up a project rifle now, though, and will likely go with the MOE option. While I may need a bit of rail here and there, I don't need rail fore and aft on all 4 quadrants and you're not the first guy to note that quad rails are heavier than other options out there!

Still, I like the look of your rifle, and IMHO the potential utility of the rails is something to be considered in an all-around Personal Defense Weapon. There are a few environments you could imagine where putting a light back onto your rifle may not be a bad idea!

Best with it, whichever way you go.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
CTS

The Magpul MOE are pretty nice. Light weight, comfortable in the hand and you can add rails on where and in the lengths you actually need them. Usually under $40 but I don't know here in the last few weeks.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...andguard-ar-15

Last edited by CTS; December 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Xfire68

I too like the MOE gear.

I bought mine from Eagle Armory along with 10 Pmags when they were cheap $10 each.

http://www.eaglearmory.com/index.php...roducts_id=478
Old December 29, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Quentin2

I also recommend the MOE handguard if you don't need full rails. Excellent value. Honestly most of us could get by with just rail sections on the MOE.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:34 PM   #8
tgreening

That rail is an absolute beast of a deal killer...BUT, since it's the Christmas season and I"m feeling in a festive, generous mood, I'll take it off your hands and you don't even have to remove it from the rifle. Just send me the whole thing and I'll do all the ugly work. Fair enough?

Old December 29, 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Captains1911

That Troy rail appears to be an MRF-DI, in which case it is aluminum.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Lol tgreening. Nice try.

Captain1911. Why does this "aluminum" rail weight a ton? -___-
Old December 30, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
highpower3006

Nice rifle, I bet you are glad you bought it before the panic set in.

If you aren't going to put a light on it (since you sold the one you had), why don't you just get a stock type handguard? If you decide later to add another red dot, it can be added to the rail on the upper receiver. If you want to have a back up rear sight, add a folding version behind the optics.

Like this:

I tried a rifle with a railed handguard and found it to be bulky and uncomfortable. I have no use for them as I have no intention of adding a bunch of mall ninja accessories on my rifles and for me, I see no use for a bipod on what is essentially a battle rifle.

Just my opinion.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Marquezj16

Nice rifle Constantine. I have that same rail on my M&P 15. Since it's a drop in, you could easily replace it with the Magpul MOE like mentioned by a few others. If you truly want to sell it, look at AR15.com. They sell them regularly there.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:16 PM   #13
Quentin2

Gotta love those PSAs, Hi Power! What a deal they were up until a month ago.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:44 PM   #14
highpower3006

Quote:
Gotta love those PSAs, Hi Power! What a deal they were up until a month ago.
Yeah, I have $583 in it including shipping, FFL transfer and the Magpul pistol grip. The SPARC red dot, which is a great sight for the money was another $165 delivered. Total as pictured, $748. I should have bought a couple of them.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:25 PM   #15
tgreening

Constantine: Ah well, just trying to be a good samaritan.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If you aren't going to put a light on it (since you sold the one you had), why don't you just get a stock type handguard? If you decide later to add another red dot, it can be added to the rail on the upper receiver. If you want to have a back up rear sight, add a folding version behind the optics.
I still have it. Might just end up keeping it. Or getting it NP3+'ed

I had that flip up behind the red dot. It broke when I was tightening it. I have a knack for doing that. Maybe it was just a cheapo. Looked nice though. Still have it. Just need that allen screw.

Quote:
Nice rifle Constantine. I have that same rail on my M&P 15. Since it's a drop in, you could easily replace it with the Magpul MOE like mentioned by a few others. If you truly want to sell it, look at AR15.com. They sell them regularly there.
Thank you! I tried taking it off. Took off the 4 screws and it wouldn't come out. What's the trick to it?
Old January 3, 2013, 04:48 PM   #17
2tango2

Another vote for the Magpul...I just picked up a Sig M400 Enhanced tht comes with the Magpul stuff and it is nice
Old January 3, 2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Marquezj16

Quote:
Thank you! I tried taking it off. Took off the 4 screws and it wouldn't come out. What's the trick to it?
Gotta pull down on that Delta ring. Kind of hard to start but once you get the hang of it, it's like second nature.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquezj16 View Post
Gotta pull down on that Delta ring. Kind of hard to start but once you get the hang of it, it's like second nature.
I tried that. How hard does this need to be done?! Lol wow... Alright. I'll try again when or if I decide to change the rail.

Thanks brother.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Captains1911

Quote:
I tried that. How hard does this need to be done?! Lol wow... Alright. I'll try again when or if I decide to change the rail.

Thanks brother.
It helps to have a partner, one to pull down on the delta ring while the other removes the handguards, or rail in your case. That Troy rail fits very snuggly around the barrel nut, one of the reasons why it's so solid, but can be a bit of a pain to install and remove, especially without 4 hands.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:34 PM   #21
ThatONEguy

Have the same rifle at the house the lar has never hiccuped or had any other problems for me for that matter.....

The delta ring is a pain, just be persistent it will give 2 people makes it much easier... and for whatever reason the barrel nut is equally as tough to remove for aftermarket hand guards, I recommend buying the universal ar tool. I mounted a Troy vtac alpha battle rail looks and works great for me. Tons of great options out there for sure
Old January 3, 2013, 09:58 PM   #22
Marquezj16

Quote:

Thanks brother.
Yeah, some of them could be very difficult. Like someone said, another set of hands would be great. Your welcome.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Marquez, ThatONEguy, & Captains1911 thanks a bunch for that. Got it off to familiarize myself with removing it. And put I back on. I'll be getting a red dot. Flip up sight. And a light. I put a handle on the front. And my SIG P220 sidearm is matching his buddy primary sporting the new grips

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357269332.671367.jpg
Old January 3, 2013, 10:25 PM   #24
Marquezj16

Nice set-up. I like the new grips on the P220.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:43 AM   #25
NWCP

My RRA LAR15 has functioned flawlessly since I purchased it. It has a nice trigger and once you get used to the weight it balances well with your quad rail. Keep her clean and lubed and you'll get many years of shooting pleasure from it.