The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Metal god

How heavy is your cheek weld

Using a scoped bolt action rifle with bi-pod and rear bag . How heavy or how much pressure is on the stock/cheek pad ? Do you rest the complete weight of your head on the rifle or do you keep some weight off and just get comfortable . I ask cus it feels like when laying prone I have a lot more pressure on the rifle from my head then when shooting from the bench .

If I don't rest the complete amount of weight of my head on the rifle when shooting prone I cramp up and at times it just hurts my back and neck . I should add I have a permanent middle back injury and Have had issues with my upper back for a while . Funny thing is most people have lower back problems . Heck I can pick up a VW but have a real hard time doing dishes , crazy I know .
Old July 14, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
steveNChunter

The reason it feels heavier when you're laying prone is that your back is in more of an un-natural position, with your neck having to pull your head up more, which will cause fatigue/cramps quicker. Gravity and the angle of your body will make your neck naturally want to let your head fall down toward the ground, therefore you will rest your cheek heavier on the stock. IMO you should just get comfortable and let your head rest against the stock. Just make sure your cheek sits in the same place no matter what position you're in and the stock is still firm against your shoulder. I don't have any back problems and I still cramp up/fatigue when I lay prone for extended periods. I've hunted laying prone before and after a couple hours I'm more than ready to stand up and strech
Old July 14, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Bart B.

Those shooting the best from prone put no pressure with their heads on the cheekpiece. Just rest the head's weight on it. Don't strain any muscles to look through the sights; muscles under tension (expansion or contraction) vibrate more from the pulse beat. And that makes your holding area bigger. Relaxed muscles absorb a lot of the blood vessle expansion/contraction (pulse beat) that otherwise wiggle your rifle around a bit.

If you have to strain muscles to see through the sights, the cheekpiece and probably some of your position is not right. More often than not, the comb (top of the cheekpiece) is too low on the rifle.

Put a few layers of cloth on the cheekpiece/comb and see if that helps. If the issue gets worse, the cheekpiece/comb may be too low.

It is hard for me to tell without actually having a close look at your position on the butt stock.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
tobnpr

I've seen military snipers say you should be able to fall asleep behind the rifle- and open your eyes and see straight down the tube...

It's all about a natural and relaxed position. That's how the operators spend hours upon hours- literally- in shooting position.

Your issue may be at least partly due to improper scope positioning.

You need to find the optimal relaxed and natural position- and move the scope to you. Not the opposite...as Bart said, this may mean raising/lowering your position via pads, etc. Then, slide the scope fore/aft in the rings until the correct eye relief is obtained.

I see FAR too many shooters that just slap the scope in the rings, and then try to adjust themselves to the scope. Bass-ackwards....
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 15, 2013, 02:43 AM   #5
Metal god

Thanks guys , I was asking cus of the idea of pressure points on the rifle . Like everything else it comes down to consistency . Unless my head gains weight and I don't see me getting any smarter . I'll keep completely resting my head on the comb and get as comfortable as possible .

steveNChunter : That does make sense why my head/cheek feels like it's pressing down on the stock more when in the prone position . I'm sure it's why you get a POI shift from bench to prone .

Bart : That's my understanding as well and is what I try to do . It's always good to get conformation . It just feels so different that I wanted to be sure . Not so much with my body , although that does . It was more about how my cheek feels up against the stock . Lots of pressure compared to bench and comb needs to be quite a bit higher in prone then bench . I think your right . although it feels pretty good prone I think I need the comb a little bit higher . I think I.m going to get something like this so it will be quicker to go from bench to prone https://www.tacticalworks.com/Karste...t-A-Model.html . If you guys have any other products that would do the same thing please give a link .
Old July 15, 2013, 06:40 AM   #6
steveNChunter

Quote:
I think I need the comb a little bit higher
Does the scope have enough clearance to be mounted any lower? Just another way to accomplish the same thing.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Metal god

Quote:
Does the scope have enough clearance to be mounted any lower
No not really . and this is just a temp scope for the rifle . With in the next year this rifle will have all new rings , single rail mount and scope .

I'm not sure how much time I want to put in to this scope and set up . I was going to put this scope on my Ruger American but now I'm thinking of putting on my Savage MK2 22lr. The scope is a Vortex crossfire 2 . I know $200 is cheap for a scope but I did expect more from this scope . It's very clear and for the most part a pretty good scope . The cons are the turrets don't track 100% and I think the POI shifts at different magnifications . Not sure which problem is worse cus the rifle is new-ish and only has 200 or so rounds threw it but there is a 1 to 1.5 MOA POI shift from something for sure . Once the scope is dialed in it stays zeroed and is dead on but if I start tinkering with knobs and things it will start to shoot high . It's done this twice on me and did not notice it the first time just thought I did something wrong . When it happened the next time out I new there was more to the issue . Any ways I'm a little off topic now but who cares it's my thread
Old July 15, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
tobnpr

First, suggest you send the scope back to Vortex- their turnaround is very quick- days, not weeks- and they'll check the tracking, and repair or replace the scope if out of spec. While you certainly wouldn't expect the tracking of a Viper, being "off" by minute of angle and more would not be acceptable to them, either, I'd bet...

The Karsten idea is an easy and good one, but for guys that don't want to drill the stock, just adding an inexpensive stock pack with added padding underneath if needed gets the job done. It doesn't provide the quick and repeatable adjustment you mention, though.
www.biggorillagunworks.com