The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
tahunua001

need advice guys

alright, you have yet to fail me.
for some time I have been wanting a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag but due to a lack of supply to meet my demand I have failed to buy one. after many months of searching for one my brother bought a 357 mag bolt action but depending on velocities it hits up to 3 feet high or low so it is essentially a one load gun which has turned me off to the 357 out of a rifle however...

... today my brother in law told me that he knows some one that is trying to get rid of a Pre-Cerberus marlin 94 in 44 mag wiht peep sights for $400. does this sound like a good deal?

I have no information on specific year, rounds through it or anything of that nature, the current seller recieved them as repayment for an outstanding debt and has no interest in keeping it but will not budge on the price.
Old September 25, 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
bamaranger

sounds good to me

I have an early Marlin .357 and cannot say enough good things about it. My rifle is pre-safety and is equipped with a Williams peep, though I've thought about a set of XS's I have not put out the cash. Peeps let me shoot irons for a few more years before me and my eyes get into our 60's.

Varying points of impact w/ bullet wieght changes is not unusual in any rifle and one that plunks an assortment of slugs in the same place is a gem.

My Marlin .357, at 50 yds or so, would put full power 125gr JHP and single loaded .38 wadcutter (WC won't feed) to the same point, which was pretty slick for easy practice. These days, I have it zeroed with a single load, 158 JHP, and let it go at that.

A bolt pistol caliber carbine has little appeal for me, but Ruger is selling them to somebody.
Old September 26, 2012, 02:11 AM   #3
10-96

It sounds like a pretty decent deal to me providing the rifle is still is in pretty good condition.

I have a Winchester 94 AE with Williams peeps. Sometimes it acts squirrely with .38's- but it has never showed a 3' difference in POI with any changes in .357 loads. I'd tend to think I would gratefully turn down any future offers to purchase your brothers rifle- I just can't bring myself to thing everything's OK with that thing.

On another note, I did run across an add for .357 Cowboy loads that advertised a velocity of 700 something fps. I never thought to look for those before and don't know how common they are. Could it be that your brother latched onto a box of these? That's about the only way I could see that much change with anything from 110gr-180gr .357 factory loads.

Oh yeah, buy the levergun- they are a hoot! I wouldn't trade mine for a whole truckload of speckled pups!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

should be alright, depending on condition...

I used one as the base rifle for my custom 50 A.E. ( the 50 A.E. has a rebated rim, the same diameter as the 44 mag ) in stock form, it was a sweet shooter... in 50 A.E. the gun is a beast that definately puts a smile on your face
Old September 26, 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
tahunua001

mind you that the three feet low/high was a difference of .38 special standard velocity to extremely high velocity .357 reloads but that is still a huge gap that I would never be comfortable using for any purpose.

my eyesight's not the greatest but shouldn't deteriorate anytime in the foreseeable future but I do tend to shoot better with peeps than leaf sights so that was a big plus for me.
Old September 26, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Hook686

.357 magnum shoots 3 feet high to 3 feet low.

Horse pucky.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Metal god

3 feet ??? At what distance . If thats 100 yards there is something very wrong with that rifle ( or the shooter )

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 27, 2012, 05:13 PM   #8
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001

a Pre-Cerberus marlin 94 in 44 mag wiht peep sights for $400. does this sound like a good deal?
No, It sounds like an excellent deal !

Old September 27, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
WV_gunner

Another option to consider is New England/H&R. They make .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum rifles.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:18 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
.357 magnum shoots 3 feet high to 3 feet low.

Horse pucky.
My thoughts, exactly, Hook686.
Old September 27, 2012, 11:19 PM   #11
tahunua001

alright guys, thanks for all the input, today I decided to go ahead and buy it. it's going to be a joint effort between my brother-in-law and myself. I went ahead and gave him the money to purchase it and he is going to tool the "family ammo factory" to handle 44 mag so hopefully I can have a range review up shortly.