The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 16, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Crapulence

Rock Island Sights

I recently acquired a basic Rock Island 1911 with plain GI sights. I would like to change these out for some more eye friendly 3 dot sights. The front sight is a staked unit of unknown size, Due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be many competent 1911 smiths in the north Dallas area and this is a pretty cheap gun, I don't think having the slide machined is an option. I am trying to find out what tenon size Rock Island used so I can order a replacement. From the underside it looks to be the narrower of the two options but this is at best an educated guess since its hard to tell how much the swaged area has mushroomed. I was hoping that someone here could easily recall what size front site tenon I would need. I know I could just remove the old one and measure but then my new toy would be out of action until I could get the new parts in. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by Crapulence; November 16, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: fixed ignorant terminology
Old November 16, 2009, 02:28 PM   #2
CowTowner

No competent smith's in North DFW? I would beg to differ. I don't know exactly where you are, but I can refer you to one via PM that is in the Denton area. Larry has done some great work for me and others over the years.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 16, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Crapulence

I came here to edit my post to add that I would be interested in any help finding a good smith in the area. I did not mean to offend its just that repeated googling seemed to bring up many smiths that where no longer in business or post bitching about shoddy workmanship. I live just south of Denton and would appreciate any information you could give me. I enjoy doing things myself but due to my current workload I would be interested in handing this over to qualified persons. I just didn't want to have to drive an hour or more, twice, to have the work done.
Old November 16, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
CowTowner

Info provided via PM.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 22, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Crapulence

Thanks again Cow Towner. I have the info saved. I ended up doing the sights myself. I can't say I saved any money after buying a good staking tool and a dremel ( I have 9 routers and 2 rotozips but amazingly have never bought a dremel before). All ended up fine though the rear site took a good bit of fitting. I have a second 1911 that I am trying to acquire that will need some milling. I will leave that up to the competent, I dont thing I could convert it to a novak sight with a dremel, diamond file, and belt sander.