The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Hello123

Best way to ship a hunting dog?

Going to North Dakota for duck and pheasants. Need to ship the lab there. I am not driving. Anyone know the best way to get the animal there?
Old October 10, 2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Not being a smart-ass here but, umm, how many choices do you think you might have?

FedEx and UPS won't take him; Greyhound won't take him; Air Ambulance is quite costly; Air Force One is pretty well booked up.

Rich
Old October 10, 2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Eghad

I had made arrangements a few years back to have the family pet fly on our flights. The pooch wasnt a happy critter..lol but she made the flight ok.

NRA Life Member
Old October 10, 2006, 04:41 PM   #4
springmom

First, you need to find which airlines fly in to the area you're going. Contact each airline to find out their policy regarding shipping animals. Some airlines are really getting out of doing this. Make certain you have all the dog's vaccinations up to date, and make sure that you have COPIES of those. The airlines will want copies, I think; but if anything happens to your dog while you're there, you will need them for sure.

If your dog is not microchipped, get it done. Dogs have been known to get out of shipping crates and be gone for quite some time, and a microchip is a helpful tool once the dog is recaptured, if this were to happen.

Get a crate that is big enough, but it doesn't have to be absolutely enormously bigger than the dog. Make sure your dog gets a really good drink before he goes, but probably not food. Ask your veterinarian for more advice on how to keep your dog comfortable.

If, for some reason, you have to ship the dog on a flight separate from yours, have someone THERE to pick up the dog. Do not let the airlines hang on to the dog!

Hope that helps.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 10, 2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

OK, now that we've established that there really is only one way (commercial airliner), a couple more tips for you:
- Fast the pup the night before and morning of the flight. Water is OK.
- If he's high strung or shows separation anxiety, see your vet about some doggy downers.
- In any case, place some of your pre-worn personal clothing in the crate for him/her. Rawhide chews if he's into em; Kong ball; anything that he/she will spend time with.
- Book early...some carriers limit themselves to one pup per flight (at least Delta(?) used to).
- Avoid all flights but non-stop, direct for the sake of your dog.

Rich
Old October 11, 2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Hello123

Thanks for the advice. I looked into jet-a-pet, it was going to be a 12 hour day for the dog with 3 or 4 flight changes. The cost was going to be about $600. Therefore, I ruled that route out. Actually, the jet-a-pet guy said that with that long of a day for the dog, he would not rec it either. It was nice to hear that he was willing to pass up a sale for the sake of the dog. I got lucky in that one of my friends has decided to fly up and take the dog with him.
Old October 12, 2006, 09:04 AM   #7
springmom

Glad it worked out. You AND the jet-pet guy were certainly right about not putting a dog through 12 hours of flying!

Have fun.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 12, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
pwelsh4hd

I've seen the "stats" on airline service quality on shipping pets....and it's not real pretty (out there on the net somewhere...deaths, losses, etc....the airlines have to report such stats).
I would recommend leaving your good hunting buddy behind, and look into some of the hunting clubs and organizations in the area you'll be hunting in / traveling to (might even check with veternarians). Someone should be able to turn you on to a good dog you could rent / borrow for a while....some folks that breed and train these types of pooches for sale, will often rent them out. Keeps your friend safe, and still give you a hunting dog for a while (probably cheaper than transport as well)