The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 4, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1
riverkeeper

How to shoot a DAO revolver quicker

I'd like to reduce time between shots with my DAO revolver. Any tips?

Jerry Miculek's 'Ultimate Revolver' seems like a good place to start.

I read somewhere that he can get off at about the rate of 9 shots/sec which is about the same a standard 1911 can do.

Edit -- Jerry Miculek at work-
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/speedshooter.html

Last edited by riverkeeper; July 5, 2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old July 4, 2006, 11:10 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

No secret. Squeeze it only as fast as you can keep the sights on the target. As you become more practiced, you squeeze faster and faster. They use to teach us that at the Academy where we weren't permitted to use the single action. In the old days, LAPD use to grind off the SA notch on the hammer, making their revolvers DAO.
Old July 4, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3
Kermit

There is no secret to practice...lots & lots o' practice. Years ago I found a 22lr revolver w/ a very heavy, gritty, fairly long trigger and shot 1000's of rounds through it. I ended up working alot of the grittiness away and got really accurate & fast w/ it. Then when I moved on to my model 19 it was such a joy to shoot! It is like budduh now
You just have to keep your basics in mind, remember you're building muscle memory and practice as often as you can, shooting as many rounds as possible w/o braking the bank
Old July 6, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
riverkeeper

Trigger-Meister

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...29/ai_n7578402
Old July 6, 2006, 02:06 AM   #5
FlatSquirrel

Miculek's speed technique

There is no doubt that there is signifant talent behind Miculek's speed and accuracy skills. However, on his videotape, he also explains a couple of elements that will help anyone wishing to approximate his feats.

He uses a .45ACP revolver with full moon clips, which are the fastest reloading method for a revolver. (I'm saving up for one myself.)

The other point he makes is that he uses light reloads to minimize recoil.

I was highly disappointed, as I was hoping for the same learning experience as Riverkeeper. On the other hand, the basics that work for him in regard to trigger pull and sighting and grip are solid. Still, the incredible speed was much less impressive when I discovered he was not using speedloaders and common ammunition. *Sigh*....I want my $29.95 + tax back.

FS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” — Douglas Adams

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” — Samuel Adams
Old July 6, 2006, 07:48 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, grip is important. As high on the backstrap as possible with both hands.
Old July 6, 2006, 08:15 AM   #7
nefshooter

Jerry also shoots about 100k rounds a year a good trigger job is the best thing along with lots of rounds down range plus his rounds are very light loads.
Old July 6, 2006, 08:26 AM   #8
GUNSMOKE45441

As fast as he pulls the trigger, what would happen if he had a round with just a primer?
Wouldn't be pretty, That said he is an awesome shooter.