The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2005, 07:59 AM   #1
auspighunter

reloading questions

my brother in law is trying to tell me somethings to do with reloading and i dont really beleive him
to be honest ithin hes talking out his ass

i can understand that a bullet on maxium load could cause the bolt to explde back at you or blow the magazine out , hes trying to tell me if you didnt put enought powder in then it would blow the bolt back , i would have thought that it would just mean a very slow moving bullet or a projectile stuck in the barrel

he is also trying to tell me it doesnt matter on the weight of the bullet to kill and animal

which i supose if you hit it inthe right spot it would go down
an hes trying to tell me that it doesnt matter on the expansion of the bullet that a normal soft point bullet does the same as a hollow point and expands and penetrates like a ballistic tipped bullet

i thought that on some game you want a bullet that can penetrat that bit further than expand in the heart lung area ( im talking about deer or feral pigs ) he trying to tell me that there no advantage with ballistic tip etc

can someone clear this up

cause hes just going against what small amount on reloading i knew
Old July 15, 2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Russ5924

I think what he is saying there as been cases where with to little powder it doesn't burn it explodes and also your gun.BUT from all I have read no one has been able to prove it happens not even the manufactures.But some swear that it has happened???????????? About your other question someone better than me will have to answer it
Old July 15, 2005, 08:52 AM   #3
auspighunter

i dont think he knows what hes really talking bout , just some of the stuff about bullets my god
Old July 15, 2005, 10:25 AM   #4
jasonc84

"he is also trying to tell me it doesnt matter on the weight of the bullet to kill and animal"

That might be true for a wide open shot but in alot of cases you would have to shoot through brush or tree limbs which the heavier bullet would be better. It would go through brush better than a lighter bullet.

"an hes trying to tell me that it doesnt matter on the expansion of the bullet that a normal soft point bullet does the same as a hollow point and expands and penetrates like a ballistic tipped bullet"

If thats true why can i shoot a coyote with a soft point and it runs a few feet before dropping. Then i shoot one with a ballistic tip and it knocks it down so hard it tumbles. Ballistic tip and Hollow points expand faster than soft points. And for the most part Ballistic tips will expand wider than a soft point because most soft points have partitions which keeps it from expanding past a point. You are right about the penetration thing, you may want a little more penetration with big game. IMHO the heavier bullets perform better as far as expansion goes because they are longer and will expand wider.
Old July 15, 2005, 10:57 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

Bullet performance is a lot more complicated than SP, HP, BT. Jacket thickness and hardness comes into play. With premium bullets, there may be a difference in core hardness as well, or even internal score lines to promote expansion. Manuacturers usually offer suggested uses for their bullets and you can call and ask if you have any doubts.

I would not jump to any conclusions just on tip type.

Quote:
If thats true why can i shoot a coyote with a soft point and it runs a few feet before dropping. Then i shoot one with a ballistic tip and it knocks it down so hard it tumbles. Ballistic tip and Hollow points expand faster than soft points.
Shoot that coyote inside a hundred yards with a 117 RN pushed to the max from a .25-06 and you'll reverse your conclusion. You can do the same thing with a 150 FN from a .308 or .30-06. The jacket has more effect than the nose type and when you push a bullet intended for 2200 fps around 3000 fps you get BIG holes.
Old July 15, 2005, 11:49 AM   #6
jasonc84

Quote:
I would not jump to any conclusions just on tip type.
I wasn't necessarily talking about just the tips I was talking about the whole bullet. I've noticed that with my ballistic tip bullets they have a thinner jacket than the jacket of soft points of the same brand. So I was thinking generally that ballastic tip bullets have thinner jackets and softer cores compared to the soft point of the same brand. Which aid in faster expansion.
Old July 15, 2005, 09:33 PM   #7
b_ionian

"hes trying to tell me if you didnt put enought powder in then it would blow the bolt back"

I seem to remember that I recently read in one of my reloading books that this can happen. When there is not enough charge to cause the bullet to exit the barrel, excessive pressure can build up, causing damage to the firearm (and maybe the shooter). The problem is especially risky in revolvers because of the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. There, the revolver may not be likely to blow up, but a bullet can stick in the barrel, causing a blockage. It is always wise to stay within published load ranges.
Old July 15, 2005, 10:34 PM   #8
flutedchamber

A reduced charge of slow burning powder in a large case can cause pressure spikes, some of which will far exceed the pressure of a maximum load in that particular caliber with that particular bullet weight. I have seen pictures of this occurance, and it looks like someone stuck one bullet in the bore, and tried to fire a maximun loaded round behind it. It seems the reduced charge of slow burning powder detonates rather than burning progressively as it is supposed to. It is something you want to watch out for.

flutedchamber
Old July 15, 2005, 11:46 PM   #9
artbyaccident

Your brother in law is telling you that not enough powder in the bullet will blow up.
If you were to think of the bullet firing. the primer fires igniting the powder. The powder burns from the rear of the case forward. the powder ejects the projectile, and continues to burn outside the barrel.(flash) A cartrige that does not have enough powder in it, when on its side in the gun if the powder is level with the primer. now when the primer ignites, instead of a burn from the rear of the cartrige forward you can have all the powder burn at once. causing a spike of pressure in excess of max load. I hope I explained that well I keep wanting to draw when I explain things.

your brother in law told you thet it dosent matter about bullet weight.
Well uh I dont know about that. I suppose he could have ment that a lighter bullet moving faster can have the same kind of impact energy. a 9mm 125 grain bullet moving at 900 fps has 223.75 foot pounds of energy. a .223 52 grain hollow point boat tail moving at 3200 fps has 1179.88 foot pounds of energy. so in theory a smaller bullet CAN do the same or better job as a larger one (until someone pulls out the 50 bmg) but this is what makes reloading fun. btw I used 3 loading manuals and a calculator to figure this not like Im quoting this kind of info.