The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Beentown71

9mm bullet recommendation....bulk.

New to reloading and looking or a 9mm bullet recommendation/s. I want a JHP that works well (expansion/retention), good bulk pricing (250 or more), and 124 grains.

I know right now any good bullets in any category is hard to find. Want the recommendation so I can do my research and start looking for availability.

Thanks again TFL'ers.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Adamantium

In a perfect world you could buy something like this. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...d-hollow-point $13.25 per hundred (box of 2000) is a good price for Golden Sabres. In reality, nothing like that is in stock right now.

Most bulk JHPs generally fall into two groups. The first is competition oriented (Hornady HAP, Montana Gold, Zero and Delta come to mind) and for those expansion is not a consideration. They make holes in paper, smash into steel and are very consistent and accurate. I'm not saying they won't expand but they were not designed with that in mind. The others are your bargain JHPs that you'll see loaded into cheap ammunition (I know Remington sells them). They aren't bad but they aren't anything special either.

The best JHPs available to reloaders are Gold Dots. They are more expensive though. I have a few hundred loaded up for any gun I could conceivably use for self defense but I don't shoot them for target practice. I just don't have enough money for that.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:31 PM   #3
lamarw

The best I know of is from Precision Delta. It is $91.00 per thousand and free shipping.

The only down side is an 18 week wait, but at least they will take your order.

I am all ears if anyone knows of a better source price and/or delivery time wise.

I personally prefer the 115 gr. which is $85.00 per thou.

This is for FMJ. You can't beat it even with plated bullets price.

My appology, I just noticed you said hollow point.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Beentown71

Re: 9mm bullet recommendation....bulk.

No apology necessary. All info is good info for me.

I REALLY like the Golden Sabres. They are what I carry currently in +P configuration. Those would be ideal. I just don't see the Gold Dots being worth the premium (in bulk).
Old April 5, 2013, 09:19 AM   #5
Swampman1

Quote:
The best I know of is from Precision Delta. It is $91.00 per thousand and free shipping.

The only down side is an 18 week wait, but at least they will take your order.

I am all ears if anyone knows of a better source price and/or delivery time wise.

I personally prefer the 115 gr. which is $85.00 per thou.

This is for FMJ. You can't beat it even with plated bullets price.
That is a good price including shipping. What is a plated bullet, and how is that different than Jacketed? Thanks.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
david_r

I think most plated bullets do not meet with one of his requirements. They aren't designed for expansion. Even the bulk supplier bullets MG, Precision, aren't designed the same as what he is looking for regarding expansion.

Swampman,
Berry's. Rainier, Xtreme, are lead bullets that have been put through a plating bath (like chrome plating) to deposit a very thin coat of copper on them. They aren't lead and they aren't jacketed. They're something in between.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Swampman1

lamarw-
Quote:
The best I know of is from Precision Delta. It is $91.00 per thousand and free shipping
Have you done business with Precision Delta? Satisfied?
Old April 5, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
BigJimP

Most experts will tell you that reloading "defensive ammo" is not a great idea if you ever have to defend yourself after a shooting...

I do reload my target ammo / tactical practice ammo....but I reload FMJ or CMJ bullets ( primarily Montana Gold ) ...and as a backup I'll use Berry's Plated ....or Rainier for a cheaper plated bullet.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Beentown71

Re: 9mm bullet recommendation....bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP View Post
Most experts will tell you that reloading "defensive ammo" is not a great idea if you ever have to defend yourself after a shooting...

I do reload my target ammo / tactical practice ammo....but I reload FMJ or CMJ bullets ( primarily Montana Gold ) ...and as a backup I'll use Berry's Plated ....or Rainier for a cheaper plated bullet.
The JHP I will not be using for carry. It is more for good practice fodder and s..h..t..f. I was going to try and match a practice round to what I will carry if possible.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:12 PM   #10
BigJimP

All you need to do is match the grain of the bullet for practice and carry ...and you should be fine.

In my view, it won't make any difference if its a 124 gr FMJ RN or a JHP...

but Montana Gold makes a 124gr JHP if that's what you want...

https://montanagoldbullet.com/index....?q=9mm+bullets
-----------
I practice with a full sized 1911 in 9mm a lot ( 6 - 8 boxes a week ) ....and 1 or 2 boxes a week on a full sized 1911 in .45acp .../ and I carry the full sized 1911 in .45 acp ..../ I shoot a 115 gr FMJ bullet in 9mm for practice and carry the .45 acp with 230gr hollow points.../ and it allows me to practice for less than $7 a box vs $ 12 a box in .45 acp...

( I have both guns with me today ....4 boxes of 9mm / 2 boxes of .45 acp ....and it'll be a good way to break up my afternoon for a few hours / with a little fun ....some double taps, reload drills, in and out of a holster, etc )...in the one in a gazillion chance that I ever need a gun for Defense, in my opinion, ...while it what works for me.../...everybody should do whatever they find to be the best option for them.

Last edited by BigJimP; April 5, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Beentown71

Thanks for the advice. I have 500 Berrys 124gr Plated Hollow Points that are probably going to be the first thing I load. Can't wait to pull the handle for the first time!

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 5, 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
BigJimP

Berry's makes a pretty good bullet...their plating is a little heavier than some of their competitors.../ ...check their website but I think they still say to keep them under 1200 fps...

Montana Gold is a true Jacketed bullet...a much higher quality product, in my opinion...

and welcome to this side of the gun hobby ..../ I like reloading...
Old April 5, 2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Beentown71

Thanks Jim. I bought the Berrys while the buying was good I needed something to get started with. Quality seems to be there. I will look up Montana Gold.

Old April 5, 2013, 05:03 PM   #14
BDS-THR

Berry's MFG was supposed to release their new "expanding" hollow point bullets like Speer Gold Dot HP bullets which are also thick copper plated. But with the current shortage of components, who knows when they will retail them - https://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c...ow_Points.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
their plating is a little heavier than some of their competitors ... check their website but I think they still say to keep them under 1200 fps
For their regular plated bullets, Berry's recommends max velocity of 1250 fps - https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q10-c1...e_bullets.aspx

For their thicker plated (TP) bullets, Berry's rates them to 1450 fps - https://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i1...TP_1000ct.aspx

Last edited by BDS-THR; April 5, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #15
BigJimP

Thanks for the update on Berry's bullets guys....

Yeah, right now its hard to get components.../ I'm on a wait list for Montana Gold for a few cases....
Old April 5, 2013, 07:29 PM   #16
dickttx

I have not used the Montana Gold, but have used the Precision Delta. Both are usually ordered in 3 or 4K increments.
PD does have 100 round samples of all their bullets for $18, shipped. This lets you try before you buy 3 or 4 K and decide you don't like them.
IIRC, both of their prices for jacketed bullets are cheaper than plated.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:31 PM   #17

My favorite bulk 9mm bullet is the Rem. 124 gr. JHP. I have the Montana Gold 124 gr. JHPs and mine are about .001" under sized. ZERO's are better than the MG's IMO, but the Rem. 124 is one of the most consistently accurate bullets I've used in handloading the 9mm for 28 years. It has a tougher jacket and is a deep penetrator. To make it an excellent expander you'll need to use a good medium/slow powder. I use Silhouette and worked up to SIERRA's max. load level except I load mine at 1.122"/28.5mm which is a good bit longer than SIERRA loads their 125 gr. JHP to. This will cut down the distance for bullet jump into the bore and give you better accuracy. Ideally, you want to load specifically for the chamber length for your pistol and you can find several methods for doing that with the search function. If not, post and tell me and I'll explain how that's done.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Miata Mike

Quote:
I have used them and bought some more this last election....day after.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:25 PM   #19
WESHOOT2

I also recommend the conventional Remington HP.
I use their 115g @ 1370--1415fps in my own guns.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:37 PM   #20
Misssissippi Dave

I have loaded several thousand rounds with Montana Gold bullets. There jacket seems to be made of brass rather than copper. They work quite well. I have also loaded Precision Delta bullets and I happy with them too. I find it is much easier to get the crimp right when loading jacketed bullets compared to plated or lead. I have been loading 9 mm, .38 special/.357 Magnum, and .45 acp with Montana Gold bullets. I only have tried the jacketed 9 mm and .45 acp bullets from PD. I'm on the waiting list as well to stock up from Montana Gold. Which reminds me to place one more bullet weight on order (wish list etc.).
Old April 11, 2013, 10:50 PM   #21
Misssissippi Dave

Quote:
They make a good product. I have an order in with them once again. I know the wait time is rather long but it is worth the wait. They have some of the best prices you will find for jacketed bullets. I have not tried the lead bullets yet.
Old April 12, 2013, 06:35 AM   #22
rodfac

Mississippi, What kind of accuracy are you getting with those Montana Gold bullets? I realize that's a function of both the gun and the shooter as well, but the question is: are they good enough for competition/hunting or just for SD drills from the 3,5, and 7 yd lines?

I've had good luck in the past with Winchester bulk 115 gr JHP's from Midway....currently a little over $13 per hundred plus shipping and tax. (The last box I bought, 3660 of them in a single heavy box) went just over a nickle a piece! From two of my 9mm's (an accurized Colt 1911 Series 70 in 9mm and a newly acquired Sig 226 Mk25), a fairly warm load of Win 231 or HP38 gives me right at inch and a quarter gps at 25 yds from a two handed rest position.

Expansion with that Winchester bullet wasn't spectacular...at least in the water medium I tried, but far better, obviously than a FMJ...and they were really accurate. Velocity had to exceed 1100 to keep the mushroom growing. No mean trick with any suitable powder, but I like moderate loads in all my guns, save for the real McCoy SD rounds.

Seems like Montana has great prices, but how's the real world accuracy off a rest?

Best Regards, Rod PS: I've enjoyed your posts here and elsewhere..very knowledgeable and well written. R
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #23
boondocker385

I have used power bonded with good results but kind of spendy..
Old April 12, 2013, 02:09 PM   #24
lamarw

Like my neighboring "State to the West" namesake, I am pleased with Precision Delta. I have used and am currently reloading Precision Delta 115 gr. 9mm and 230 gr. 45 ACP plated bullets. I have another order in for another thousand of each.

I would also order .380 plated from Berry's, but they are not currently taking orders for most of their line of plated bullets.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:03 PM   #25
Misssissippi Dave

To answer the question about Montana Gold bullets, they are quite good. I compared the group I could do with one of their 185 grain JHP bullets to RWS match using a Springfield Range Officer (.45). Unfortunately I was at a public outdoor range and had to shoot at the same distance others were shooting rather than trying at a long distance. They were leaving a 1" ragged hole at 7 yards. This was shooting 7 and 8 rounds per hole. Later at a private range I tried them at 50 yards off hand. I was only able to get 8" groups. I blame most of that on the shooter. Not using a rest or support and not having the vision to shoot that distance any more takes it toll. If I were at least 30 years younger things might have been different.

It is my opinion with the proper load, you should be able to load Montana Gold bullets to match grade easy enough.

Montana Gold and PD 9 mm bullets give me as good and most likely better groups than any of the cheap ammo you can buy in the stores, when they have it. I'm using WST powder currently for my semi-auto loads. It is clean burning and my powder measure likes it too. I switched from AA5 which also worked well. WST just seems to be a little better. It is also a pretty fast powder. WST in 9 mm is close to if not a compressed load.

PD and MG bullets are made for accuracy. Even the JHP bullets they make are not designed to expand. They are used solely for accuracy. I load my ammo looking to make them accurate. SD ammo I purchase. If you are needing to load at higher speeds for some competition you can use WSF powder and get the speed you are looking for.