The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
supermarvin76

Newbie flustered in Illinois

Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found a forum such as this.
Long story short, I am not looking to start a debate thread, I am merely searching for information.

I am 30 years old, recently joined the NRA, and am looking to make my first firearm purchase(s). First, in the great state of Illinois, I need to wait for my FOID card; it's now been over 5 weeks. Believe me, every day I am at the mailbox like a little kid. Anyhow, I am looking to buy a 4" S&W 686 Plus, and a Glock. The exact model Glock is still up in the air until I can shoot a few, but believe I have it narrowed to either a 23, 27, 36, or MAYBE the new 30S. That's not exactly why I'm posting this though.

My worries (admittedly perhaps due to ignorance on my part) are about the state I live in and magazines. Recently, I've heard talk about Illinois banning magazines- not just instating a capacity limit. This is what has my mind in a boggle unable to decide exactly what to do. This would be a substantial purchases for me, and I don't want to get buy a Glock only to have to get rid of it in a few months.

Also, IF there was some crazy limit like 7 placed on magazines, what do I do with a firearm which accepts 13 round magazines? Would the manufacture come out with lower capacity magazines, or would I have the 13 round magazines modified by someone? I'm so lost.

I am certain everyone here is in support of the Second Amendment, and as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to start something about how "they" can't do this or that. I am just here for some guidance about buying a magazine fed firearm in Illinois right now.

Thank you!!!
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”― Eleanor Roosevelt First Lady of the United States of America, 1933 to 1945
Old January 19, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2
redneck

Welcome to the forum and being a gun owner
I am not a lawyer, am not from illinois, and don't know the wording of their proposed legislation. I am sure you can get information throught the NRA-ILA website that will give you more detail of the potential changes in your state.

I have read New York State's new laws and can tell you that they did impose a 7 round magazine limit. The articles I read on the matter say that those with 10 round magazines (which I believe they were limited too already) are allowed to keep them but can be charged with a misdemeanor if they are found in possesion of magazine with more than 7 rounds in it. They are not allowing magazines with a capacity higher than 10 to be grandfathered and residents of new york would not want to be found in possesion of them. Obviously what happens in New York isn't necessarily what happens in Illinois, but I would say the 2 states have similar minded politicians.

One would hope that items that were previously legal in your state would be grandfathered into new legislation, but obviously there is no gaurantee. If a bill should be passed after you have purchased a glock I would not rush to do anything with it or the magazines as I expect class action suits and alot of other measures will be used to get these ridiculous laws overturned or amended. You will also find that most manufacturers are very good about making products that will be legal in your state and that you should eventually be able to get compliant magazines if it comes down to that. States like california are the reason manufacturers make so many models of basically the same pistol. They have to make a compliant model for that state and the standard model for all the others.

In the meantime, write or call your representatives and tell them you are not in support of any new restrictive legislation!
Old January 19, 2013, 01:31 PM   #3
SundownRider

Wait times in IL for FOID cards are variable, but you should see it in a couple weeks.
Currently, there are no round limits on magazines in IL, so no worries there. Your biggest problem these days may be finding ammo to shoot.

Get you FOID, get your guns, and go shoot.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old January 19, 2013, 01:39 PM   #4
DaleA

What you should do while you're waiting is study up on the laws in your state and write a letter to your representatives telling them magazine limits are NOT effective and anything else you want to tell them.

If possible take a class (or two or more) the local classes will probably have very specific information for your area which is what you need. (Not that everything you read on the internets isn't true...).

The classes might be at a range where you can rent and try out some guns. This would be a good thing.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Newbie flustered in Illinois
A couple things to start with:

Illinoiscarry. The forum is a good place to stay on top of what's happening.

Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day, a "ministry of the Illinois State Rifle Association". Coming right up. Be there. If you've never seen 8000 people march, well, it's really something to see. This year is important. We go, show the flag, touch base with our reps, let Madigan, Cullerton and Quinn know we're here.

Quote:
I need to wait for my FOID card; it's now been over 5 weeks.
At work we have people who sent in their FOID apps right after the election. They're still waiting. The law says 30 days. Contact your state rep, and have them lean on the ISP. In normal times that expedites the process, probably won't help now.

Quote:
My worries (admittedly perhaps due to ignorance on my part) are about the state I live in and magazines.
"The usual supects" tried their crap in the lame duck session. We melted the phone lines, and headed them off. For the moment.

With regard to 2nd ammendment issues, the power is pretty evenly divided in this state. The division is not R. vs. D. It's Chicago and its immediately adjacent vassals, vs. "downstate". (I hate that term.)

Until the ruling from the 7th Circuit on Moore vs. Madigan, we had very little change in the stalemate. Now, the state has to enact carry legislation, and has until June to do it. The "CCW cliff". (And right after the ruling, we get the CT shooting. Funny how that works.)

Quote:
Also, IF there was some crazy limit like 7 placed on magazines, what do I do with a firearm which accepts 13 round magazines? Would the manufacture come out with lower capacity magazines, or would I have the 13 round magazines modified by someone? I'm so lost.
Magazine bans. Nothing's in play at this instant.

Plenty of stuff uses 7 round mags. That seems to be the magic safe number this time around, down from 10. I predict a swelling in popularity of big single stack.45s.

Nobody makes 7 rounders for most of the service size 9mm and .40 guns. Someone would, if necessary, but noone does now.

Quote:
Anyhow, I am looking to buy a 4" S&W 686 Plus, and a Glock.
What I'm hearing right now is that stock is very low on everything in the entire distribution chain. From manufacturer to distributor to shop, ti's all getting sold. If you see something sort of like what you want, you probably ought to get it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 19, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
MWorrell

I can't say if it's true of Glocks, but my S&W 9mm comes standard with 16 round magazines. However, since the gun is also sold in California, there are plenty of 10 round magazines available, which I think is as low a ban as Illinois will go in my lifetime. A ban on mags above 7 rounds is insane, and I would be surprised if that lasts in New York.

That said, my long term solution is that I am looking at property in TN or AL, because this state is a money-grubbing suck hole run by clowns and thieves.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
CurlyQ.Howard

You might try giving the IL State Police (FOID) number a call. They are busy, so your wait may be long (phone time I mean), but if they can answer, they will, and in my experience, they don't mind polite inquiries about the progress of your application. My wife's took two full months (end of August - beginning of November) in 2012, if that is any help.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:20 AM   #8
sils79

Thanks Lee, you saved me a lot of time, I was gonna write everything you did.

One of the other problems with our state is that cities and counties are allowed to enact stupid gun bans and magazine bans. I'm pretty sure C(r)ook county has a magazine limit, but not sure, I don't live there, thank God. There are several villages that still have handgun bans in effect even since the McDonald ruling. I doubt convictions would stand based on McDonald and most officers would probably be hesitant to charge.

That said, be informed about the specific laws of your village/county as well.

Another link for you, see if your village is listed: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm
Old January 20, 2013, 03:57 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
One of the other problems with our state is that cities and counties are allowed to enact stupid gun bans and magazine bans.
That is the reason we don't have CCW right now. Anything that would override home rule requires 2/3 majority.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 23, 2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Patriot86

Unless you live in Chicago, Auora or a handful of towns in Cook County you don't really have much need to worry about a gun ban at this very min. Right now we have the upper hand because of the decision by the 7th on CC.

Buy your glock, hopefully you can find some place in the country with magazines for it and enjoy!
Old January 23, 2013, 02:49 PM   #11
lee n. field

That won't keep the usual suspects from trying. Vigilance!
Old January 23, 2013, 05:43 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I understand some NY legislator wants a 5 round limit on all guns, including revolvers, and another wants to include all repeating guns (including revolvers and all repeating rifles and shotguns) in the "assault weapon" category.

So much for those who thought their hunting rifles were "safe".

Jim
Old January 23, 2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Baba Louie

Quote:
FWIW, I understand some NY legislator wants a 5 round limit on all guns, including revolvers, and another wants to include all repeating guns (including revolvers and all repeating rifles and shotguns) in the "assault weapon" category.

So much for those who thought their hunting rifles were "safe".
When negotiating one always asks for more than one knows one will be given, making the other side "Compromise" on this and that, like hunting rifles and shotguns, maybe wheelguns and very limited semi-auto handguns, maybe ammo registration for purchase again as well.

You know... Common Sense gun laws to stop gun violence, until the bill is passed and signed into law. THEN they admit it will do nothing to quell "gun violence" but it's a start.

Or words and techniques to that effect.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Tags
glock , illinois , magazine