The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 18, 2006, 01:46 PM   #26
springmom

you've dug yourself into a very deep hole

Quote:
CCW holders drink. That's a fact of life.

It may be debatable whether that's prudent or not, or how much may be prudent, but it doesn't change the fact that they drink.

Something to remember in a scenario such as this one:

Depending on how many "a few" is and the particulars of your state laws you are likely to be vigorously prosecuted should you survive, regardless of how justifiable the shooting may be.
Yes they do, Eric. But if they drink AND carry at the same time, they are in a WHOLE lot of trouble, at least in Texas. For him to be going back to his car at 2 a.m. having had a few beers, he's either been in a bar (which in Texas is forbidden when carrying if the establishment has a 51% sign posted) or he's been in a friend's house. If the latter, then the requirement is that he not be impaired. In Texas, as I understand, "impaired" is not the DWI standard of .08 blood alcohol, but is in fact ANY blood alcohol.

So if you carry, drink diet coke or iced tea.

As to the rest of it...self defense is a great deal more than carrying a gun. It's situational awareness, not getting into bad spots to begin with, not handicapping your own safety. In the scenario, not only may the alcohol you've had dull your awareness of your surroundings, but you've parked in a bad spot and you're out far later than most people (which means you're unlikely to have other people around). The person in the scenario is just sunk, and probably is at the mercy of the BG.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old July 18, 2006, 02:10 PM   #27
Roberta X

Sven, I'm Temperance and I don't hold with running around late at night. The "2 am mugging" is no longer a concern. Problem avoided. Muggings elsewhere at other times, still a possibility.

Years ago, it happened. Man ran up, majorly wigged out, waving a revolver and demanding money. I was not armed and had right about $1.00 (one reason I no longer drink: couldn't afford to!). Started to hand it over, expecting to be shot, when a car came down the street and the would-be mugger freaked all the way out and ran away.

Thank heavens for cowards.

He came out of nowhere at a high rate of speed. It would have taken a pulp magazine heroine to react before he had me in his sights, wavering though they were. I'm not one, especially after an evening of cocktails, dancing and flirtation.

Sometimes the tiger eats you. Try to avoid tiger country.

Girl Gunblogger: The Adventures Of Roberta X
Old July 18, 2006, 02:57 PM   #28
threegun

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I make wide corners, look for hiding spots, scan for trouble, and definitely check out the area before getting into my car. With very few exceptions. Exceptions that don't exist in "spookier" high crime areas or times.

If I am ever caught behind in the reactionary curve at contact distance my chances of survival are better by complying IMO.
Old July 18, 2006, 04:26 PM   #29
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

*sigh*

Another thread from back when. Atlctyslkr, do you walk around with a feather duster, dusting the cobwebs off of these?

Quote:
Give him what he wants, when he turns his back and walks off yell "Hey".
He'll turn around, it's a natural response, last think he'll remember is the muzzle flash.
And can we say, premeditated murder here? Hopefully, you're only thumping your chest in righteous indignation, but is even that taking the high road here? I think not. Consider my sig line.... please!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread