The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 18, 2009, 11:36 AM   #526
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bud, He shoulda said... "I will not ration, selling only one brick. If the guy wants multiple bricks, I sell him multiple bricks..."
Brent
Old August 18, 2009, 11:43 AM   #527
Bud Helms

Oh ... he meant something different!

Well then, pardon those of us that read without benefit of mental telepathy.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:46 AM   #528
The_Vigilante

Where is the Ammo and Reloading Supplies?

Sure, he didn't express himself very succinctly but if you read the entire post you should get the drift that he doesn't ration his primers. You got the money, you got the primers!!!
Old August 18, 2009, 12:12 PM   #529
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bud, I pardon all ya'll regular folks... we can't all be mind readers or superior cypherin' folks...
Brent
Old August 18, 2009, 12:44 PM   #530
Bud Helms

Okay, point taken.

Now get my point. I did read the entire post and it was in the context that caused the statement, "... only sell guys one brick." to stand out.

I'm not trying to beat up wezalsgunsupply up about the way he worded his statement. I simply said, I am confused by, ... and quoted the part that seemed in conflict.

It is not your responsibility to know what I mean regardless of the wording I choose. It is my responsibility to be understood.

Enough of that I guess.
Old August 18, 2009, 12:55 PM   #531
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bud, I guess vigilante told you!
Brent
Old August 27, 2009, 12:13 PM   #532
Hallucinator

Two wars going eight years? Who's surprised there's an ammo shortage?

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.
Old August 27, 2009, 03:52 PM   #533
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Two wars going 8 years?"

Bingo. I was saying that a bunch of pages back, and I don't think some people were getting it.

I'm in Pennsylvania right now on vacation. One of my stops tonight is the local WallyWorld. I'll check out the ammo situation there.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit the local gun shop, which usually has a decent reloading section. It didn't last time I was in in April, because everything had been purchased.

It will be interesting to see if they have any primers in stock.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 4, 2009, 08:21 PM   #534
horatioo

is ammo still hard to come by

Is ammo still as hard to come by as it was last winter? What about 7.62x39 and 9mm? Thanks
Old September 4, 2009, 08:49 PM   #535
RNB65

The situation has gotten better. Prices are slowly dropping but ammo is still expensive. Ammoman has plenty of 7.62x39 available and all my local gun stores have it on the shelves.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:16 PM   #536
pmrtruck

Big 5 still coming up short on most calibers in southern california. Shelves are emptied now in hours instead of minutes, maybe everyone is stock-piled, don't know.
They received 2, count them, 2, boxes of 500 round Winchester XPERT 22 LR of which I purchased one for 22.99. I also picked up 2 boxes, out of 3 on the shelf, Remington UMC 45ACP for 26.99 each box of 50. I was there 10 minutes after they opened their doors.
Walmart may get some ammunition into there store but I haven't purchased much from them in a long time. Only shot shells seem to be available when I get there.
One local dealer seems to be getting larger shipments in and are taking a few days to sell through, this in fact is a good thing.
I bought Wolf 9mm 115g FMJ BI-MET for 13.99 per box of 50. They had 10+ boxes left on the shelf.
Old September 5, 2009, 10:26 PM   #537
pmrtruck

damn, musta been drinking...
missed it...shoulda read thread
i know nothing about nothing...
Old September 8, 2009, 02:05 PM   #538
Drachenstein

Is the End near?

Walked into a shop today, WOW, boxes of .380 on the shelf. Winchester white for $17 per box and S&B FMJ for $13. a box. Maybe we're coming to the end of the ammo crunch. Nice to see the gun prices ease up a little. The Louisville Gun show should be interesting this week end I wonder how much the prices will have dropped there. GB prices seems to have stabilized.
Old September 8, 2009, 02:19 PM   #539
Texgun

Prices

Where I live it seems that there is quite a bit of lag time between retail store price changes and gun show pricing. Some of the guys at the gun shows may have payed too much for their wares to lower the price.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:51 PM   #540
Greg_M

1911rocks sez
Quote:
I believe firmly in Market Forces. I am currently making arrangements to buy primers and powder from Australia. According to a friend in Western Queensland there is no shortage there. Oh by the way for all those pseudo experts: before you start in on the "no guns in Australia" do some research first. Shooting sports are still very much alive and active. Even with shipping the prices are only about $6.00 USD/1000 higher. If the US dealers/wholesalers can't meet the demand there's an entire world out there to purchase from. I'm also exploring South Africa. As to those clowns gouging, or attempting to gouge good luck. I agree with the one gentleman who said it's up to shooters to help each other...again, Market Force. IMHO
I'd do that too but the shipping can get crazy.
Today I found some Speer slugs for my 44 in NZ but they wanted as much to ship them to the US as they did for the 3 boxes I wanted to buy. Maybe it was just because it was a business shipping? Doesn't seem like it should cost $100 to ship 3 boxes of reloading bullets to the US
Old September 10, 2009, 06:57 PM   #541
Manning Munitions

primers

Lots of primers on gunbroker...............
Old September 20, 2009, 10:10 AM   #542
daleo8803

a new walmart opened up near me about two or three weeks ago. went in on the opening day just to look. they had a full shelvlf of ammo. 9mm. .40, .45, .357, 30,06, .243 win everything. i didnt buy any. went back 5 hours later and ALL the pistol ammo was gone and half of the rifle! this walmart does not yet have the 2 box limit yet, i was told they dont have too for a month after opening or something. i wish i had bought a few boxs of .357 mag, they were only $22.95 for 50, thats cheap around here. but im not 21 yet and my dad was on vacation..... lolol! but the local guy store that sells reloading supplys has SR, LR, SP, LP, and magnum primers. powders, bullets even once fired shells. the powders are alittle more than they should be but every thing else is at online prices. the primers are still limmited to 200 per day but thats cool. i have 800 SP and that will last me till next year! lolol

dale
Old September 21, 2009, 08:58 AM   #543
evbar28

wally world

having a wallmart on the way home from work is a good thing, but definitely a crapshoot, sometimes you walk in and its christmas, and the next day its empty, The demand for ammo in CT has not eased up at all imo. Walmart has a 6 box limit in this state, and for those who want more than 6 boxes (or 2)just leave the store, deposit the ammo in your car, and go back in for more.
Old September 23, 2009, 10:08 AM   #544
b1k3

Primers

I recently bought a box of Remington small pistol primers, and not one worked, de-constructed them and found the powder to be flat.
I now make my own and made up a kit to load primers.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:21 AM   #545
Mike Irwin
Staff

Please describe your kit for primer manufacture.

I've often considered this.

What chemicals do you use to make the priming compound?

What what do you mean the "powder" in the Remington primers was "flat"?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:30 PM   #546
Hedge313

Interesting Article on Yahoo News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/..._ammo_shortage
Old September 23, 2009, 09:03 PM   #547
scorpion_tyr

News about Ammo on Yahoo

Ran across this, thought I'd share.

Taken from: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/..._ammo_shortage

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Mary Foster, Associated Press Writer – Wed Sep 23, 2:51 pm ET
NEW ORLEANS – Bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven days a week, and still can't keep up with the nation's demand for ammunition.

Shooting ranges, gun dealers and bullet manufacturers say they have never seen such shortages. Bullets, especially for handguns, have been scarce for months because gun enthusiasts are stocking up on ammo, in part because they fear President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress will pass antigun legislation — even though nothing specific has been proposed and the president last month signed a law allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks.

Gun sales spiked when it became clear Obama would be elected a year ago and purchases continued to rise in his first few months of office. The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System reported that 6.1 million background checks for gun sales were issued from January to May, an increase of 25.6 percent from the same period the year before.

"That is going to cause an upswing in ammunition sales," said Larry Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association representing about 5,000 members. "Without bullets a gun is just a paper weight."

The shortage for sportsmen is different than the scarcity of ammo for some police forces earlier this year, a dearth fueled by an increase in ammo use by the military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We are working overtime and still can't keep up with the demand," said Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, which makes bullets for rifles, handguns and shotguns. "We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7. It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business."

Americans usually buy about 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year, according to the National Rifle Association. In the past year, that figure has jumped to about 9 billion rounds, said NRA spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak.

Jason Gregory, who manages Gretna Gun Works just outside of New Orleans, has been building his personal supply of ammunition for months. His goal is to have at least 1,000 rounds for each of his 25 weapons.

"I call it the Obama effect," said Gregory, 37, of Terrytown, La. "It always happens when the Democrats get in office. It happened with Clinton and Obama is even stronger for gun control. Ammunition will be the first step, so I'm stocking up while I can."

So far, the new administration nor Congress has not been markedly antigun. Obama has said he respects Second Amendment rights, but favors "common sense" on gun laws. Still, worries about what could happen persist.

Demand has been so heavy at some Walmarts, a limit was imposed on the amount of ammo customers can buy. The cutoff varies according to caliber and store location, but sometimes as little as one box — or 50 bullets — is allowed.

At Barnwood Arms in Ripon, Calif., sales manager Dallas Jett said some of the shortages have leveled off, but 45-caliber rounds are still hard to find.

"We've been in business for 32 years and I've been here for 10 and we've never seen anything like it," Jett said. "Coming out of Christmas everything started to dry up and it was that way all through the spring and summer.

Nationwide, distributors are scrambling to fill orders from retailers.

"We used to be able to order 50 or 60 cases and get them in three or four days easy, it was never an issue," said Vic Grechniw of Florida Ammo Traders, a distributor in Tampa, Fla. "Now you are really lucky if you can get one case a month. It just isn't there because the demand is way up."

A case contains 500 or 1,000 bullets.

At Jefferson Gun Outlet and Range in Metairie just west of New Orleans, owner Mike Mayer is worried individuals are going to start buying by the case.

"If someone wants to shoot on the weekend you have to worry about having the ammunition for them. And I know some people aren't buying to use it at the range, they're taking it home and hoarding it."

With demand, prices have also risen.

"Used to be gold, but now lead is the most expensive metal," said Donald Richards, 37, who was stocking up at the Jefferson store. "And worth every penny."
Old September 23, 2009, 09:05 PM   #548
koolminx

Good read.
Old September 23, 2009, 09:11 PM   #549
oneounceload

Quote:
Used to be gold, but now lead is the most expensive metal,
Just a TAD of exaggeration.......gold is over $1,000 per ounce.....lead is about $1.00 per POUND so let's keep things in perspective......as long as folks are in panic mode, buying a lifetime supply everytime they go to wally world, these things will not change
Old September 23, 2009, 09:29 PM   #550
RETG

From personal experience, ammo supplies are getting better. Three months ago, drove over to Grand Junction CO, and could find no .40, 9mm, 30-30 or 308. Today, on a trip to Grand Junction, I was able to purchase 500 rounds of Federal 9mm and a 200 rounds of 308.
Also, a few weeks ago, I was able to order 600 rounds of .40 and 250 rounds of 9mm via the internet.
So, supply is coming back. As for prices...
I used to pay about $26.00 for a 100 rd box of Winchester White box, today the Federal FMJ I purchased was $9.47 per 50 round box.