The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 1, 2013, 06:05 AM   #26
zincwarrior

No.

I have both, but they are completely different animals.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:46 AM   #27
saleen322

Revolvers can handle greater power rounds more cost effectively. I don't see that changing so they will always have that appeal. You can get a semi-auto to shoot a powerful round but it will generally cost a lot more than a revolver and it will usually choke if you try to shoot reduced power rounds in it. So I will always have revolvers but, that said, my semi-autos out number the revolvers 31 to 11.
Old August 1, 2013, 07:15 AM   #28
PawPaw

Some folks never left revolvers, and the wheelgun is the perfect tool for some applications. If I'm wandering in the timber and want a powerful handgun filled with snake shot, a revolver is my only choice. In that same handgun, I cal load heavy, full house loads or I can load powderpuff plinking loads. It's hard to beat the versatility of a good revolver.

New features? Not so much. My revolvers were all made in the last century, many before 1980. I like my autos too, but they're a different tool for a different job. Just like I have several hammers, from a tiny tack-hammer to a 16 pound maul, it's all about having the right tool for the job.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #29
Nakanokalronin

My first gun was a GP100 6" SS that I still have. I like DA and SA revolvers, but I'm not Jerry Miculek so I reload a semi-auto quicker than a revolver which is why my defensive handguns are all semi-auto. Revolvers do have a place and my recent S&W 500 purchase does something no semi-auto handgun can do which is put a or on the face of whoever shoots it.
Old August 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #30
BingoFuel

Though I have both, I am increasingly interested in revolvers. Some of the prior posts allude to it, but here's my take:
* Here in CA, the limit is 10 rounds, NY 7. So revolvers are approaching the limit mixing powerful rounds and the maximum capacity allowed. I just ordered a S&W PC .357 V Comp with 8 round capacity. Here in CA, that's close to the limit.
* Perhaps it's my increasing age, greater research, or lack of practice but the more I read about proper and safe use and practice with semi-autos, the more it strikes me that a great deal of time and skill must be spent with failure-mode drills. Tap, rack, bang, FTF, FTE, all that. It's hard to really capture the probabilities and thus the level of muscle memory that is required to be considered competent with ones semi- but it sure seems a lot higher than with a revolver. So, simplicity and reliability all seem to favor the revolver which more than offsets the lack of capacity for many HD/SD gun owners.
I do think that, in time, the reliability between revolvers and semi's will diminish to the point that they are statistically equivalent. That is, semi's will become increasingly reliable. It's hard to imagine that with good ammo, a Glock 19 is much behind a S&W 686. But in general semi's have some catching up to do. Better material science, better CNC tolerances, better and more reliable propellant chemistry and manufacturing repeatability of cartridges will zero out the differences. In time.
B
Old August 4, 2013, 12:03 AM   #31
bbqbob51

I have both but...

I tend to gravitate towards the wheelguns. In our household there are 2 semi-autos and 4 revolvers, so far! I think the beauty of the revolver is the simplicity or operation. Unless you are willing to go out and practice on a regular basis with your handgun to be familiar with where the mag release and safety is or how to clear a jam in an emergency situation then you should go with a revolver.
Others have already pointed out the strength issue regarding the racking of the slide which is certainly a factor. Once loaded, the revolver just sits there waiting for you pick it up. When you to, you just point and shoot, no gun is simpler. The instructors the firearms safety course suggest that the perfect house gun is a 38spl revolver with a 3 or 4" barrel. Anyone can use from 10 to 100 with minimal training and not be bothered much my the recoil.
One thing that my brother mentioned to me is the ease of maintenance, he used to own semi auto and now only own revolver. His reason is he got sick of breaking the semis down and reassembling them to to a decent cleaning.
I haven't mentioned new features such as 7 shot cylinders, that is just a bonus on top of all the good reasons to use a revolver.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #32
Hawg

I prefer my revolvers to be six shot and single action with fixed sights.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:48 PM   #33
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I the recent years, we saw a lot of interesting new features on wheelguns: High cap cylinders (up to 10 shots in 22lr now, 8rd .357 Mags etc.), polymer frames, built-in lasers, .410 shotshell chamberings etc.
High capacity is nothing new.
http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/rare...uble-barrels-0

Shotgun calibers are nothing new, but never caught on until recently. As for the unique materials and add-ons such as lasers, they do modernized and sometimes improve an old concept. The question is whether the public wants such new features or not. Apparently at this time, many are indeed selling well.
Old August 6, 2013, 09:25 AM   #34

The 1911 was an interesting deviation from the revolver but no one has come up with another semi that's worth spit.
Old August 6, 2013, 09:54 AM   #35
Madcap_Magician

Don't worry, ladies and gentlemen, that newfangled semiauto fad will pass.

Any... day... now...
Old August 6, 2013, 12:51 PM   #36
Bullcamp82834

NO

New bells and whistles are for newbies, old timers know better.
Old August 6, 2013, 07:55 PM   #37
Bill56

I could care less about the "new-fangled" stuff coming out on revolvers. Mine are all pre-1980, although my next purchase will most likely be a new or relatively new/used SP101.
Old August 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #38
pete2

I've not seen any new and improved revolvers. The best of them were built years ago. Some of the new ones are OK but none that I've bought or seen are improved. Most are not as good in fact. I still carry a J frame airweight. I prefer the 6 shot revolvers over the 7 or 8 shot. Mostly because the older guns are better than the new ones. Revolvers seem to be more popular now because a lot or shooters realize that high cap doesn't equal making the shot count. Most shoot outs are over by the 3rd shot except for cops who may shoot 18 times and take out the perp and 8 bystanders. One well placed shot could have ended the problem.
Old August 6, 2013, 10:28 PM   #39
Levant

High-capacity revolvers are not so new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

9 shot Civil War era revolver with a twist.

And the S&W 627 is approaching voting age. I suppose that's relatively new but not exactly.

And the 627 is definitely bringing me back to revolvers for carry as soon as I can get my hands on one - either the S&W or the Taurus in 2 or 4 inch barrel.