The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 1999, 01:43 AM   #1
thaddeus

I have not had any problems reloading without buying a book on all the specifics, because I only reload a couple bullet types so I only need to know those types. I usually sneak into the book section and look up the bullet type I reload, and memorize the few details I need to know like how much of my brand of powder to use for my load. This is how a poor college stundent survives using his superior skills of memorization .

But, I would like more info without paying money for the doggone book. Is there anywhere online that I can reference reloading info for free?

For instance, I am currently using Accurate #5 and reloading .45 calibre RNL 210gr bullets. I know what works for me now, but I would like to hear other people's opinions on how much powder is good for that load and others.

thanks,
thad
Old February 17, 1999, 02:43 AM   #2
Walt Welch

Thaddeus; you wayward soul. What are you doing in the gun section, anyway? <g>

Dr. Walt will continue to guide you to the path of light and righteousness, as I do on the knife forums.

Here is the URL you need to know:

http://www.shooters.com/gunlinks/index.htm

This is a website with many many links. Including links to the powder manufacturers. You will find that Winchester has a downloadable manual, that Hodgdon lists all their loads, and, why, look here, Thad, Accurate powder is covered here at this URL:

http://www.accuratearms.com/

Try and stay out of trouble. Dr. Walt
Old February 17, 1999, 03:27 AM   #3
thaddeus

You da man, Doc.

Somehow I thought you were going to chastise me fot being cheap and not buying the book, and then give me a lecture about how I am going to blow my hand off when I forget the numbers.

Ps- I loved guns long before I realized I loved knives I mowed lawns and bought my first .22 at age 8. Fondled my dad's Colt every night for years while watching TV (of course WELL versed in proper handling) and got a Glock 17 for my High School graduation present Guns are my first passion.

thanks again,
thad
Old February 17, 1999, 03:31 PM   #4
bear

Walt, you ought to adopt the kid... grin
Thadd, I'll chastize ya instead, don't rely
on you memory, write it down on a piece of paper instead, in this game a mistake can hurt "big time" stay well and shoot safe.
Old February 17, 1999, 08:25 PM   #5
TenMan

A really good source of reloading info is the reloading pages of M. D. Smith (http://reloadammo.com/reload.htm).

He has some really good links too.

Safe shooting,

TenMan
Old February 17, 1999, 09:29 PM   #6
Walt Welch

Thaddeus; I am shocked, truly shocked, that you would think I would chastise you for not buying a reloading book. Does not the Good Book say:

"Neither chastise, nor disparage, nor ignore the braying ass found wandering in the wilderness. Rather, take it unto thee, feed, water, and care for it, and set it again upon The Path. For someday, the ass may be thy physician, or even worse, thy son-in-law"

I am not precisely WHAT Good Book it was I read that passage in , however, I think that it really rings true.

Plus, reloading books are obsolete. The last good idea with loading books was called Load Books, which contained all the published data about one single cartridge.

The problem is, the companies are continually doing testing, and the proper place to get your information is from the net. I certainly do check the loads I get there with previously known data, but heed the new data if they are a decrease from previous data. Winchester, for example, radically reduced some of their pistol loads a few years ago, after testing with the latest piezoelectric method.

Dangerous loads do make it into print. Be very, very careful when handloading. Be diligent in your search for the latest data.
Be careful. I have loaded dangerous loads; when the next loading booklet came out, and the charge was reduced, I wrote the company, and said, hey it is still the same powder, right? They replied that the loads I had assembled had been retested and were dangerous.

Always maintain a high level of suspicion; sometimes components are changed without warning (not powders, thank goodness). I was looking at a new batch of Rem 115gr. JHP's, and noticed that the mouth of the hollow point looked different. Rem had changed the manner in which they made the bullet. Also the new bullet was 0.035" longer than the old one. Enough to cause a dangerous pressure in the 9 x 19, if I hadn't caught the change, and loaded the newer bullets to a longer OAL. Be safe, careful, and diligent.

Use Tuf-Cloth on thy 1911, and Tuf-Glide in the bbl., but not the chamber. Apply Tuf-Glide to thy slide rails and disconnector.

Above all else, keep thy pistol pointed away from me. Have fun, Thad. Walt
Old February 17, 1999, 11:16 PM   #7
thaddeus

*ROTFL*

Thanks again,
thad
Old February 18, 1999, 04:09 AM   #8
Walt Welch

Thad; I am long overdue for a trip South. The 911 is complaining about being cramped up in the garage all the time, and only getting out for 10 or 20 miles at a time.

I would like to see Derek and Korene Russell also, and since they are in your neighborhood....

If you see a gray haired guy with a Mad Dog shirt on show up on your doorstep carrying a 1911 DON'T SHOOT; not until I have had a chance to identify myself.

Will bring sufficient ammo so that we don't run out. Deal? Walt
Old February 18, 1999, 01:08 PM   #9
bear

Reloading books are obsolete???? come on Walt, your telling me my mint copies of the 1971 and 1972 Hornady reloading manuals are not any good anymore??? O-well another disappointment in life.......
Old February 18, 1999, 03:23 PM   #10
thaddeus

Sounds good to me, Doc, I need to see Derek as well.

You are welcome to swing by anytime, Doc. Just call ahead or I might not be home. Unlike some college students, I have NO spare time unless I plan it. I must be going to a harder school than most, because many students say they are bored and have too much time on their hands. Besides posting between classes, I never slow down from the time I wake to the time I go to bed.
Whatever you do, don't let me drive your 911 no matter how much I beg. I am real happy with my Jeep and don't want to get spoiled

thad