The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 12, 2011, 05:16 PM   #126
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
FWIW, my local Walgreens does not carry any hunting or shooting magazines on their magazine racks either. The whole chain seems to have a policy of disliking civilian gun ownership, hunting, civilian use of firearms for sporting purposes, etc.
Those two things could be completely unrelated. I've noticed that some Barnes & Noble locations carry gun magazines, while others don't.

Shelf space is limited, and if a given product doesn't sell, retailers don't want it taking up shelf space.

If I were to boycott every establishment that doesn't allow their employees to carry, or who simply don't trumpet their support for the 2nd Amendment from the PA system, I'd rapidly run out of places to do business.
Old October 14, 2011, 09:18 PM   #127
WANT A LCR 22LR

While searching around for stuff, I found this vid link that is supposed to be the Wallgreens Pharmx guy's fire fight. I can't get vids on my slow internet connection so I can't offer a description with the vid link.

http://video-embed.mlive.com/service...=1147830475001

It was on this forum.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-sd-video.html
Old October 15, 2011, 07:25 AM   #128
Double Naught Spy

It is hard to know what pharmacy robbery that was, but it does appear to be a Walgreens.

I think if I was the pharmacist, I would have dropped the phone and shot two handed. Holding on the phone just kept him tethered to a small area and limited his gun control, though he apparently was quite victorious.

Nice battlefield pickup by that large employee!
Old December 6, 2012, 10:53 AM   #129
Double Naught Spy

Update: Jeremy Hoven who was fired for breaking company rules by carrying while at work has lost his lawsuit in federal court to regain his job, the court upholding the company's right to regulate whether or not employees can have guns in the workplace.

http://www.examiner.com/article/walg...-to-regain-job
Old December 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #130
Slamfire

Quote:
Update: Jeremy Hoven who was fired for breaking company rules by carrying while at work has lost his lawsuit in federal court to regain his job, the court upholding the company's right to regulate whether or not employees can have guns in the workplace.

Well, we know what to expect.

So, would you rather be fired or be dead?
Old December 6, 2012, 11:22 AM   #131
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the update... Looks like I won't worry with fighting to get my job back if I need to defend myself...

Brent
Old December 6, 2012, 07:33 PM   #132
alan

While I might not care for the corporate policy involved, I do not, it boils down to just that, a corporate decision, one based on possibly erroneous "thinking", never-the-less, their's to make.

The other side of the coin, and there always is one of those appears to be the following. The public might also disagree with this "corporate policy", as a result, in droves, staying away from corporate stores. That sort of thing has, I suspect, worked changes in "corporate policies".

I noticed references to a federal court siding with the employer. If that is District Court, their ruling can be appealed to a higher court, where a different ruling might be obtained. I expect that can get expensive though.

Last edited by alan; December 6, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:30 PM   #133
Double Naught Spy

Well, you can appeal to the Supreme Court if you can push it far enough. However, I don't think anybody has won any of these cases so far, so the chances are extremely poor.
Old December 7, 2012, 06:44 PM   #134
blackvans1234

Non escalation policy?

The robbers were brandishing firearms and took a manager hostage (according to the video / article linked in the first post or two) That seems as high as escalation can get.

I'm not shopping at walgreens anymo'
Old December 7, 2012, 07:44 PM   #135
alan

Double Naught Spy writes:

Well, you can appeal to the Supreme Court if you can push it far enough. However, I don't think anybody has won any of these cases so far, so the chances are extremely poor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
He's probably correct there, however there's always "next time". Takes a bunch of money from somewhere, I suspect.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:13 PM   #136
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
He's probably correct there, however there's always "next time". Takes a bunch of money from somewhere, I suspect.
Well Jeremy Hoven was "next time" again and again the only winners were the lawyers.

It is definitely a fool's errand to do without any sort of significant changes to the legal system.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:39 PM   #137
fehhkk

Walgreens is based off Illinois, so it's not surprise they're antigun.
Old December 8, 2012, 05:40 PM   #138
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Walgreens is based off Illinois, so it's not surprise they're antigun.
Geographic home office location is not the basis for being anti-gun. National pharmacy chains are based in a variety of states and whether the state is pro-gun or not does not have any determination on whether the chain is. You would be hard pressed to find any national, regional, and not many local corporate chains (be it pharmacy or otherwise) that allow employees to carry. Even most or all "pro-gun" sporting goods chains don't allow employees to carry.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:28 AM   #139
press1280

Some folks mentioned the real problem before. It's not necessarily that WG or any other store is "anti-gun" it's just they're more on the hook if an employee does something to another employee than if a robber comes in and kills an employee. I want to say WI passed a law that gave protection to businesses who allowed legal carry.
Bottom line, if the establishment isn't liable for illegal acts one way or the other, it probably wouldn't make much sense to ban carry.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:23 PM   #140
Double Naught Spy

What is the WI law and what is the scope of protection provided to the business? Would an ND be covered?
Old June 2, 2014, 06:40 PM   #141
Double Naught Spy

UPDATE

Hoven lost his lawsuit against Walgreens back in 2012 and has now lost his appeal as well.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014060...reens-michigan
Old June 2, 2014, 07:27 PM   #142
alan

Strikes me as rather similar to the Zero Tollerence Policies one hears about in the public schools, and the ridiculous results that come forth therefrom.
Old June 2, 2014, 08:23 PM   #143
huntinaz

Not surprised. One of many, many reasons I didn't care for the retail game. Robberies of the retail chains stores were pretty common place in Tucson where I went to school. I believe they all have policies against carrying.
Old June 2, 2014, 08:27 PM   #144
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, you gotta hate it when your employer has rules you don't like, but as multiple court cases have found for this incident, the employer operated within the law and the termination was valid.
Old June 2, 2014, 11:27 PM   #145
Tennessee Gentleman

I certainly think employers have a right to set their rules just like I think the employees have a right to disobey those rules that they find them immoral as these rules certainly were.

The guy is alive so there's that and I suspect he will find another job. Hope he carries there too!

Tags
2nd amendment , assault , laws , robbery , self defense