The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2000, 08:10 AM   #1
HowardK

Just bought some Berry plated bullets and understand that the reloading charts for the FMJ or lead are not the same for plated bullets. I have two questions regarding .45 ACP's:

1. I have been using 200gr. LSWC with 4.7gr. of WST with good results. Just bought a case of Berry's 200gr. copper plated SWC and am trying to find the equivalent load. Since the bullet is plated, should I increase the grains? I want to stay with WST since I have a full container and like the powder.

2. I also bought 500 Berry copper plated 185 gr. SWC. What would be a moderate load for this bullet using WST?

I can't seem to find this info in loading manuals and Berry's hasn't provided too much help.
Old April 25, 2000, 10:31 AM   #2
Bill Hebert

I'm sold on the Berry bullets. I called them after hearing that jacketed recommendations should not be used with coated bullets. The lady at Berry said they did not have recommended reloading data for their bullets but Alliant Powder did. I contacted Alliant after the reloading manual I had for Alliant did not list coated bullets. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about..If someone knows what's the deal here, Please post. Intuitively, it would seem that the plated bullets might be softer than jacketed bullets? If you are loading light to medium rounds this would seem not to be a problem. Max rounds, maybe it becomes a factor?????
Old April 25, 2000, 12:53 PM   #3
tonyz

When reloading plated bullet's
You have to keep in mind that each company
has a differant thickness of plating.The range is from .001 to .012, Berrys bullets are about .008 .010 of plating, allowing you use the lower to middle end of the jacketed load data, for the same weight bullet.
With Plated bullet I take in the amont of plating, and then use the upper end of lead loads or the lower end of jacketed load data. Depending on the thickness of the plating.

Hope this helps

Tony Z

------------------
www.vote.com
also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited April 25, 2000).]
Old April 25, 2000, 06:24 PM   #4
Banzai

I use tons of Berry's bullets, and I've only been loading them in 9/40/45 for the last month or so.

I always use the starting grains from the jacket listings, and I've tried the Do Not Exceed listings from the lead side of the house.

The low end loads for copper jackets work the best. Very mild, light on the powder, VERY accurate, and mild recoil. The perfect plinking fodder or IDPA budget loads.

And yes, there is a difference between plated and washed bullets.

.22 rimfire bullets are a perfect example of "Washed" bullets. Typically no more than .0015 copper coating, and in big bores, require bullet lube. The bullets from National Bullet Company are available in standard lead, or "Washed" which they call plated!! Use ONLY the LEAD loads for washed bullets.

Berrys are "Plated". Typically, an .015 undersized lead bullet is cast/swaged, then plated with about .008 copper (that's .016 overall, allowing .001 overall for sizing), much like the way that Speer Gold Dots are made. With the addition of .008 all the way around, the plated bullet can then be sized to the exact size, loosing only about .001 overall off the plating.
Speer roll swages theirs to the final size with special tools that form the tips and bases, and that's what helps make those cool hollow points so uniform and why there's no sizing marks.
Berrys are close tolerance, though, so they don't have to resize after plating. I've found them to be vary about + or - .0005 or less, which pretty much fits the bill for me with my high volume reloading and shooting!!!!! And the price is fantastic 'round here!

Happy shooting!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Old April 26, 2000, 12:46 AM   #5
Cheapo

Is this the Berry's that's out west somewhere? I recall seeing their web site, and they say they size the bullets after plating...or was it plate the bullets after sizing...end result is as you report--very consistent diameters.

Anyway, one of by buds swears by them. Good stuff I intend to try this fall.
Old April 26, 2000, 10:38 AM   #6
quadcab

Cheapo; If I understand it correctly,both RAINIER and WEST COAST BULLETS are reswaged(restruct) after plating. BERRYS Bullets are not reswaged after plating. Quadcab
Old April 26, 2000, 10:13 PM   #7
Banzai

Quadcab, you are correct.

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Old April 27, 2000, 11:23 AM   #8
jtduncan

Berry's are okay but Montana gold makes FMJ for the same price shipping included. They're on the web. More accurate than the copper-plated bullets at least for 9mm and 45 acp in my Glocks, Sigs, and HKs.