The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 22, 1998, 03:56 PM   #1
Kodiac

I am thinking about getting one for my AR.
Any thoughts?
Old October 23, 1998, 09:53 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Several guys at my club have them and really like them. I've heard nothing but positive comments except for shooting in the rain but that can be said for any optical sight.
Old October 23, 1998, 09:29 PM   #3
Hilton

If you're looking for a robust red dot optical, try the new Aimpoint Comp M and XD series scopes, they're rugged and well proven. Though novel, the Bushnell is not going to be as tough as something with an enclosed lens. Stay away from the C-Mores, they're downright crude.

I also recommend one of the various forms of scout mounts, which place your scope in line with the iron sights. If your scope fails, you will immediately have iron sights for use.

If the gun is strictly for play (nothing wrong with that), then the Bushnell has lots of reticles you can change out for your amusement.
Old October 23, 1998, 09:37 PM   #4
Kodiac

Thanks Hilton,
The Aimpoint XD was my next choice... I think that would be a great replacement for my old blackhawk I am going to sell to my brother - I am not going to be able to go hunting this year... But I can hold out till I get back out to Utah and unleash an Aimpointed AR on some dog towns
Old October 26, 1998, 11:54 AM   #5

Hilton,

While at GTC recently, I fired a neat little Colt M4 with an Aimpoint mounted just forward of the rear sight pedestal. The remainder of the carrying handle had been milled away to the upper receiver and replaced with a weaver mount.
The placement of the optical axis was such that the red dot could be seen thru the rear peep and sat right atop the front post, as an ideal sight picture. Is this the set-up to which you refer, and if so, would you recommend this modification for the Colt 9mm Carbine?
Old October 27, 1998, 10:18 AM   #6

Hilton - Please disregard the above, as I found the thread (scopes) where you answered my as yet unasked question.
Old October 27, 1998, 04:34 PM   #7
Rob Pincus

I have a AR set up to M4 specs with a Holo site on it, I love it. I just picked up my paper work to make an AR SBR and I wil mount the holosite on that puppy when I build it.
Old October 28, 1998, 07:11 AM   #8
Hilton

Mykl: you actually bring up a new topic -- the Colt 9mm carbine is now available with A3 flat top uppers, instead of just the old A1's. You could get the Gunsite/Mark Brown mount for one of those now. Anyone want to buy an old 9mm A1 10" subgun upper?
Old October 28, 1998, 09:26 AM   #9

Hilton,

I'll pass on the squirt-gun barrel until I can acquire another suitable receiver upon which to mount it.

Regarding the attachable rear-sight tower mount. Does the mounting of it on the flat-top's rail not offer less structural strength and more probability of dislodging the sight mount and settings? I'm all for increasing adaptability and interoperability, but not at the expense of decreasing reliability. Is there a potential credibility issue with the concept of a basic gun and having all sorts of mission-tailoring widgets hung on it? Sort of a sub-optimization problem?

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 10-28-98).]