The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2001, 08:02 PM   #1
k77/22rp

REALLY bad patterns with buckshot

Hey,
I was shooting my new mossberg 500c 20ga with rifled slug barrel and I was getting good groups with remington sabot slugs
but when i tried shooting buckshot at about 30 yards I was getting TERRIBLE patterns. They were going into the dirt about 15 yards downrange Aiming about 4 inches high they were still going into the dirt! The buckshot was Federal 2's

I know it wasnt me because the same was happening with my dad and he is a great shot, so is it the load (i hope) or the gun?
thanks
Old September 10, 2001, 08:24 PM   #2
tyro

You can't get a "pattern" shooting buckshot through a rifled barrel.

Rifled barrels are good for nothing but slugs. 'Learned that the expensive way. 'Dealer sold me an 870 Deer Gun (rifled barrel) with the assurance that it would be good for HD with buckshot. 'Had to buy a smooth bore barrel after testing the rifled barrel with buckshot.
Old September 10, 2001, 11:14 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Like Tyro said.

Rifling imparts spin to the projectile....which stabilizes the projectile as long as the projectile doesn't fly apart from the spinning. Slug stays together and performs just like a bullet from a rifle. Shot column flys apart from the spin.....hence giving a higher meaning to the term "scattergun".

Sam
Old September 11, 2001, 12:44 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

The best patterns I have had with my recent buckshot loads were while using a loooong steel modified choke tube. I would suggest that any modified or full tube built for heavy shot loads or steel would pattern well with buckshot. Try using your regular choked barrel and save the rifled barrel for slugs.
Old September 11, 2001, 02:52 PM   #5
k77/22rp

Thanks, now that i think about it, that makes sense.
Old September 11, 2001, 10:35 PM   #6
MiniZ

The upside of your situation(if you want to call it that), is you can get a pretty inexpensive smoothbore barrel if you want to have this shotgun do double duty.

Zane
Old September 12, 2001, 08:54 AM   #7
Kingcreek

I own a several shotguns but my "universal" SG is an older 870 12g 20" rifle sighted barrel with rifled choke tube for the deer season only that gets switched to a modified choke tube for the rest of the year. It sees duty as HD, varmint/pest control around the farm, and still keeps the freezer stocked with venison.