The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
jsmallwood

Newbie Primer Question

Hi all. Can you safetly punch out a primer that is live? It went in crooked. Can I do this with a decapping pin or something else or should I just avoid. Thanks.
Old February 11, 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
dahermit

do a search on "primer"
Old February 11, 2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Tex S

It would be fine. Some guys say do it gently, but I once ran into a situation where I accidentally threw 10 primed cases into my bucket of cases to be deprimed/sized. I blew through those ten primed cases without a snag and didn't even realize it until later.

With that being said, I do try to deprime live primers carefully when I know they exist.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

You better call in the bomb squad to knock those primers out.... Just kiddin'. Done it hundreds of times with no problems. But as stated earlier, you can use the "search this forum" tool to look up questions that may have already been answered. It saves you time! Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 11, 2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Luke

I "carefully" pushed out a few crooked ones with a small allen wrench.
No problem
Old February 11, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
wpcexpert

I've knocked out a few upside down ones too. No bang. Done a few cock-eyed ones too.

But I've got a fully loaded case with an upside down primer on my bench that I'm a little worried about. I've got the inertia puller, but I'm just kinda worried about pulling the bullet and the primer blowing up in my face. I guess I could just take cover behind something. I don't think it will hurt me.

Side Note:
Got a buddy that was pulling the bullet from a 22-250 with the inertia puller. Fully loaded case. The primer goes off. Nothing happened. The bullet and the powder was laying in the bottom. LUCKY!!!!
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 12, 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
warnerwh

I've done it many times with the depriming/sizing die and never had one explode. This is much safer than pushing it out with an allen wrench or anything else where it's out in the open where your hands and eyes are vulnerable.

Once the shell is in the die if the primer did explode it would be a contained explosion.
Old February 12, 2009, 05:29 PM   #8
PCJim

Where is Shoney and his poem?????
Old February 12, 2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Tex S

That poem is funny