The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
millerwb

+P Brass

Is there any difference between say .38 Spl brass and .38 Spl+P brass? I know the external dimensions are the same but are the internal dimensions the same?

And on that vein, what is a +P load? Is it just loaded near the maximum range?

Thanks
Old January 15, 2009, 03:55 PM   #2
mnw42

They have no difference other than the head stamp.
Old January 15, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
SL1

I don't think there are any brass thickness or hardness difference between standard and +P .38 Special loads. The headstamp difference is to allow users to avoid using +P loads in old guns not designed for the higher pressure. SAAMI maximum pressure for standard .38 Special loads is 17,000 psi, and for +P loads it is 20,000 psi.

SL1
Old January 15, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Sevens

Just wanted to add that "+P" designations are actual SAAMI designations and their use is to a set standard outlined by SAAMI. Or, to put it another way, you can't simply take a caliber, hop it up, and call it ".44 Magnum +P", because SAAMI sets the industry standard.

"Plus-P" may come across as "same caliber, higher pressure", but the truth is that is must still adhere to the industry standard of a safe pressure for that caliber designation.

If you took a .38 Special case filled it to the top with a fast burning powder, compacted the powder with a seated bullet, you'd definitely have a HIGH PRESSURE and incredibly dangerous little bomb on your hands, but you would NOT be holding a real .38 Special +P round.
Old January 15, 2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Shoney

Here are the only 4 SAAMI designations of +P.

Cartridge and Maximum Average Pressure (PSI)

9mm Luger 35,000
9mm Luger +P 38,500

38 Special 17,000
38 Special +P 18,500

38 Super Auto +P 36,500

45 Auto 21,000
45 Auto +P 23,000
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 16, 2009, 05:44 PM   #6
jjohnson

Just the Headstamp

Yeah, and that word came from one of our US manufacturers.

As pointed out - it helps YOU keep 'em sorted. The manufacturer went on to say that it would cost them more to make .38 cases to two different standards, so you get +p quality brass at 'standard' brass prices... or somebody is screwing you....
Old January 17, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

horse pucky

Certain 38 Special +P cases ARE different.
Most aren't.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Tom2

Why would the +P cases have to be any different? The pressures are higher but by no means "magnumized" or anything. For that matter, how much different is a .357 case sectioned in half, as compared to the same brand .38, besides the length? I suppose I could dig out some and section them, but someone may have saved me the trouble. There is a variation in case thickness between makers sometimes, and varying internal volumes, I don't think this should be interpreted as measures taken for heavier loads.
Old January 17, 2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Gazzmann

I have contacted S&W. They explained if the S&W 38 was built before 1977 plus-p loads were not recommended. Just a fyi.
John
Old January 24, 2009, 08:04 AM   #10
GoldenRoyBoy

It's my understanding, there is a difference ---

I purchased some 45acp brass recently; opting for the plus P rated brass from Starline. Here is what Starline has to say about their P rated brass ---

45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal capacity than the standard 45 Auto.

Here's their link; look under "Product Information and Description" ---

http://www.starlinebrass.com/

**I came back to add information from Starline, regarding their 38 super P brass.

"38 SPL+P has no difference from the standard 38 SPL, other than headstamp designation for load segregation. Due to standard case design, will handle +P pressures with no problems. "

Shoot safe!
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; January 24, 2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Additional Information ---
Old January 24, 2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Sevens

I would have to say that Starline's process is outside the norm of the ammo factories. I would imagine their "thicker" .45 +p brass has something to do with folks' wanting to build .45 Super loads out of them.

Did Starline also have something to do with some of the huge super magnum revolver calibers going to a deeper primer pocket for use with rifle primers? I don't know if SAAMI had a hand in that or if Starline took the ball and ran with it.
Old January 24, 2009, 09:18 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

are all cars the same?

Starline has often provided cases to others in the industry.
Old February 9, 2009, 03:59 PM   #13
jjohnson

On Target

Quote:
Is there any difference between say .38 Spl brass and .38 Spl+P brass?
I was told by Starline the difference is in the marking on .38 Special. Entirely possible that it's not the same for all calibers for all manufacturers.

Just figured I'd steer this thread back a little.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:49 PM   #14
wpcexpert

Quote:
45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal capacity than the standard 45 Auto.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that create a dangerous round. If you take a case that has a 20gr capacity, put 10 grains in it, you've got a standard cartridge. Now take the same caliber and put 10gr in the case with only 18gr capacity, you would have a spike in pressure. Now if they are truly +Powder, you've got a lot more pressure?

It was explained to me that it would cost too much $ to create 2 different cases for the regular and +P. So we get the +P cases, just a different head stamp.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 10, 2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Alleykat

Starline's .45ACP +p cases are thicker and stronger than their regular .45ACP brass. I don't know if other brass manufacturers also make their .45ACP brass thicker and stronger or not. Starline's .400 Cor-Bon brass is their .45ACP brass necked down, and with a small primer pocket.

Starline's 9mm +P brass is the same as their "standard" 9mm brass, except for the head stamp.