The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 17, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Kurbsky

What is the best scope for DPMS LR-308B rifle?

What is the best scope for DPMS LR-308B rifle to shoot up to 600 yards?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=16

That's .308 and 18" bull barrel AR-10 type rifle.
My only long range scope experience is Springfield Gen. 1 scope on my M1A Match rifle. It looks very traditional and for DPMS I wanted something more XXI century.
Old August 17, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2
GONIF

if you have the Cash ,Nightforce,US Optics,S&B,if your on a budjet check out Nikon or ,Bushnell. 3-12x40 or 50 should do the trick . seeing as it is a DPMS and you were willing to save a buck instead of getting the (better) Armalite AR10, try a Nikon Monarch X rifle scope,a lot of bang for the buck .
Old August 17, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
hodaka

I put a 6X24 Bushnell Elite 4000 on mine. I was quite happy with it. I had the 24 inch fluted barrel which was heavy as could be so the few ounces of extra weight from this heavy scope didn't matter much. You will like the DPMS. In my experience it gives up nothing in reliability or accuracy to the more expensive Armalite.
Old August 17, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
N00b_Shooter

I'd put a Bushnell Elite elite 3200 or higher or a Leupold on it, Nightforce is extremely heavy for a scope and will therefore limit wat the rifle is designed for. There are probably other good scopes you could put on it, these are just what i would do.
Old August 17, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
GONIF

depends if it's a hunting rifle or a tactical rifle . a $379.00 Ziess Conquest 3-9x40 would be a great hunting scope 4 inch eye releif ,superb glass ,life time warentee . maybe he's going to be shooting on a bench at the range putting holes in paper and size and weight is not an issue.
Old August 17, 2009, 07:11 PM   #6
hodaka

When I hunt I prefer blued steel and walnut, typically a #1 Ruger.

My DPMS was a paper puncher from 100 to 400 yds. I really liked the 24X power and I put a Jewell trigger on the rifle. With 155 Sierra Palma bullets and 4064 I had quite a few quarter sized, 5 shot groups (when I skipped the coffee) at 200yds.
Old August 17, 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Kurbsky

Thanks for advice...

The rifle will be tactical, not hunting. I actually haven't bought it yet but am planning to. Armalite is much more expensive and I don't see what would justify the price difference. If they want more money, I would expect more in value.
Same goes for scopes - some of them are much more expensive even though they do the same magnification and other features as less expensive ones, so why pay more for something that's the same or only slightly better?
I looked at the scopes kindly recommended above, maybe not at 100% of them and noticed one thing. They don't really look very tactical, very much like hunting scopes. I may be expecting too much, after all, a scope is a scope. Red dot and prism scopes, on the other hand do look cool and tactical but I guess they are not for long ranges unless you know something I don't know about them.
I don't really want to spend more than $700, hopefully less than that.
Nobody mentioned Burris. They have good prices. Are their scopes good?
Old August 17, 2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Zak Smith

Depends on use.

article | Fighting Carbine Optics
Old August 17, 2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Kurbsky

Thank you.
That's a very interesting article and is very useful. Mostly covering high end staff though. Unfortunately, the author does not write much about combining different optical solutions on the same rifle - like putting a long range scope and a red dot sight (like FastFire) on top of it or other combinations.
Old August 17, 2009, 10:58 PM   #10
Zak Smith

It is an interesting combination of complaints: that it only covers high-end optics, but doesn't cover dual-optic combinations. In any case, the primary point of the article is to provide a framework in which to think clearly about the capabilities of different optics on the practical/fighting carbine.

This article discusses dual-optics setups to some degree

article | Evolution of the 3-Gun Practical Rifle

And then this one is about qualitative differences in long-range optics:

article | Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting, Part II - Optics
Old August 17, 2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Kurbsky

Thank you Zak... You have a wealth of info. That was not a complaint. I really liked the article and will read other articles as well. It is impossible to find answers to all questions in just one article.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Zak Smith

To give some specific advice, if you want to be able to hit smallish (1-2 MOA at distance) targets at 600 yards, I recommend something like a Leupold 3-9 or 2.5-8 M/RT, or even a 3.5-10x. Or the Nightforce equivalent, the 2.5-10x32. Burris has a 3-12 XTR with similar capabilities. This would be a "Type III" optic, but at the low end of what people put on serious long-range rifles, yet still capable.

For a general-purpose carbine optic, where engagements might be quick at 20-75 yards, or on say 2-4 MOA targets at 300-600 yards, a TA11 ACOG or a low-power variable such as the M/RT 1.5-5x or the Trijicon TR21 would be good choices.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Kurbsky

Thanks for advice.
For a general-purpose carbine which is 5.56mm Stag 2T
I already ordered (a month ago and still waiting) a Burris 332 red dot prism sight with a fixed 3X. I have no idea how it will feel at really short ranges but the scope has rails in 3 directions - so installing a Burris FastFire with no magnification on top or on a side for short ranges is an option to consider.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:39 PM   #14
Kurbsky

What is M/RT ?
Old August 17, 2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Zak Smith

It's part of the Leupold model name. It stands for "medium range tactical."
Old August 18, 2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Kurbsky

Thanks... I looked at it and Leupold is not cheap. What about Barska? Their scopes are really inexpensive. Is their quality acceptable?
Old August 18, 2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Kurbsky

I am aslo considering Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 for $310.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:37 AM   #18
cimarronvalley

Scope for DPMS 308

I've got a DPMS AR-15 varmit in .223 with Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42, a DPMS Tactical with detachable ATN 4X with 32mm obj. I've got 2 RRA NM AR-15s with one having an 8x by 40mm obj Nikon Buckmaster, and the other with an Old Redfield Partner 3-12 x40 scope. I just bought a new DPMS LR .308 on which I'll mount a Nikon Bushmaster 4.5-14 x 40 with side focus. All lenses and components are made in the US or Japan and assembled in the Phillipines.

For the money and accuracy they cannot be beat. I prefer the glass over both Leupold and Swarosky (Zeis does have better glass but I'm not paying $2,500 for a scope with equivalents accuracy).

The true accuracy of a scope is consistancy. Remember that the old sniper military scopes were typically fixed 10X Urtels. The scopes I mentioned above maintain accuracy. Sight them in at 30 meters and get your grouping at low power and then start increasing power and the groupings should be the same. Run them out to 110M and repeat, and then 280M (the extent of my home range currently) and the groups should repeat. The scopes mentioned above will do this and for under $300.00 (except for the Redfield which hasn't been made since 97).