The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
BuckHammer

New to reloading, question about powder

Is there a good place to find smokeless powder locally? Like a national chain? Or if somebody lives near to me (Evansville, Indiana) is there a local place. I really do not want to swallow the typical $22.50 hazmat fee. I'm specifically looking for IMR 4064.

Alternatively, if there is a place online that doesn't charge that fee, I would be interested in knowing that. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old February 12, 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
BigJimP

Sportsman's warehouse, Cabellas, Bass Pro Shops .... there are a lot of places that should have what you need.

A lot of gun clubs, ranges - also sell components - and you might ask around. My local gun dealer will also order for me - so lots of places...
Old February 12, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
BuckHammer

BigJimP, there is not one of those stores in close proximity to my location. We do have a Gander Mountain in town, but I looked, and didn't see powder. So basically, I should just ask around? I'll do that. Thanks for the advice. The guy that works at my local Army Surplus store should know.
Old February 12, 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Gnarly

Powder for BuckHammer

Whittakers Guns-6980 West Louisville Ln. West Louisville,KY- ~ 10 miles from Owensboro; less than one hour from Evansville.

< Powder,primers,bullets + over 3000 guns in stock to drool over! >

May even have a website;I dunno.

Google 'em.Whittaker Guns (270) 229-0140-ask for Darrell or Chris.

Hope that helps!

----Gnarly
Old February 12, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5
rrp

Gander Mountain should have powder for sale. The Gander Mountain store here has the powder under lock and key and not displayed. You may have to ask a clerk in the gun dept. for it.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Gnarly

powder

The Gander Mountain in Evansville denies having any powder, except for muzzleloaders.Only time I've ever been there; was looking for IMR7828SSC and IMR4007SSC.And I spoke with an assistant manager there.No luck.

I've heard that other Gander Mountain stores sell powder, but the one in Evansville is like a mini-Gander Mtn .

Actually,I've been in bigger shoe stores.

----Gnarly
Old February 12, 2009, 09:54 PM   #7
BuckHammer

Thanks guys, I love Whittaker's, just didn't know they had powder. I'm probably headed there this weekend. I really appreciate the help. I'll probably buy bullets there, too. I can testify to the fact that Whittaker's is a great shop. I nearly passed out the first time that I walked in there seeing the massive wall of guns before me. Then, there were racks upon racks behind the first one. There is no equivalent in Evansville.