The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Huntingtrc

Resizing?

Is in nessecary to resize a neck on rifle case if you have to pull a bullet on one that was already sized and loaded?
Old February 11, 2009, 09:06 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Chances are no, the case was not expanded by the pressure of the powder gasses. Should just fine.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:05 AM   #3
SL1

Pulling and reseating a bullet will make the bullet a little looser in the case.

For rifle cases, probably not a problem. Unless the rifle is gas-operated and you are not crimping the bullets.

I would resize a pistol case, especially for a semi-auto. It doesn't take much to allow bullet set-back in those, and that can be dangerous.

SL1
Old February 11, 2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Inspector3711

As said above, probably not necessary, but I do anyway... Just remember that if you do it's best to remove the depriming pin first or you'll be repriming the brass.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:17 AM   #5
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I had a projectile move on my first batch of reloads, .270 bolt rifle. Have not done a second batch yet. I put a bullet in and out a bit to get the seating depth right, I suspect that was the problem case.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Nnobby45

Measure the case mouth after the bullet is pulled. Resize it, like you did before you seated the bullet, and then measure again.

The difference between those measurements, is how much tension (measured in thousandths) was lost by the bullet stretching the brass as expressed by the degree to which the brass DID NOT spring back to the original measurement (sized neck).

You wouldn't see me not resizing the neck on hunting loads. Plinking around loads may be o.k. if you just reseated. Resizing just half the neck would be sufficient.
Old February 12, 2009, 02:36 AM   #7
kraigwy

Back in the days before M852 came out we used M118 match for the NG rifle teams. I used state funds to buy 168 SMKs to make mexican match. That consist of pulling the 173 military bullets out and sfuffing in the 168s, We did tens of thousands of these over the years and never had to resize the necks.

I would sugest you try it without sizing the necks and seeing if they hold.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071