The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1
mgreen13507

How often do you detail strip for cleaning?

I am a fairly new shooter and have had my Ruger P95 for about a year. The owner's manual only list instructions for field stripping, which I do after every range trip for cleaning. I have put 1500 through the gun. Would it be a good idea for me to detail strip my weapon for better cleaning? Should I not worry about it since Ruger doesn't mention it in the manual? Thanks in advance, this is a great forum (especially for a newb like me).
Old November 8, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
fun2shoot

I strip down alot mabey more frequent than some not sure though. I would if I were you to take slide off your ruger the grips barrel clean clean all that and the springs that are inside the pistol magazine as well as the inner wall of it with a torn piece of oiled t-shirt don't really clean stuff that requires a punch to remove a roll pin unless you know what your doing but use compressed air and oil to blow lube in it and other areas that have moving parts . Or search youtube videos on cleaning semi-auto pistols the visual aid will help you understand a clearer idea.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
TailGator

I don't have a P95, but of the pistols I own, I feel that I can reach everything well enough to clean them adequately with a field strip. I use Q-tips and pipe cleaners to get in the little nooks and crannies, and am satisfied. The only exception to that is that I detail strip the slide of my carry pistol (a Glock) once or twice a year so that I can clean out the firing pin channel. I can't honestly say that I have ever got an impressive amount of debris from that location, either, but a gummed up firing pin is not something you want to discover in an emergency.

I think a lot of people do full detail strips out of an enjoyment for tinkering rather than a need for cleaning. Most pistols can be adequately cleaned for reliable function without a detail strip.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Creeper

This is simple and hard. Different guns, ammo and conditions should dictate when a gun should be detail stripped for cleaning and lubrication. That statement was the simple part... determining when this should occur can be the hard part.
For some, it's a frequent occurrence and may be more the "a lot of people do full detail strips out of an enjoyment for tinkering rather than a need for cleaning" that TailGator mentioned, rather than an actual need.

Everyone who owns a handgun should know how to detail strip their gun, if for no other reason than to have a familiarity with the parts... in the event it becomes a necessity to identify a problem.

Of course, in reality, the number of people capable of detail striping a gun and correctly reassembling it... is a small percentage of handgun owners.

In your particular instance mgreen13507... if you feel you are sufficiently competent to detail strip your Ruger, go ahead and do it... if for no other reason than to see what's in there, and to see just what you, your 1500 rnds of ammo and your conditions have created. If you do not feel competent, then take your gun to a 'smith for inspection and cleaning... or, invest in a Dunk-Kit kit.

C
Old November 8, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Departed402

I don't own the particular gun you're taking about, but for most modern handguns there is no need to go that far unless you're planning on keeping locked away for a long time.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
marine6680

Using an aerosol cleaner can get in and clean the hard to reach areas pretty well without detail disassembly... or try aerosol or spray CLP and an air compressor set to less than 10psi.

For a cheap aerosol cleaner, use electrical contact cleaner for car harness connectors. It is much more plastic and finish friendly than other options without the cost of "gun aerosol cleaner". It is good practice to verify it will be safe for your pistol by applying a small amount in a hidden area.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Fishbed77

I think it depends entirely on the firearm in question.

A 1911, for example, is pretty easy to detail strip, and there is no harm in doing so occasionally to clean and lubicate everything. A Ruger Mark II or III is a bit tougher to fully detail strip, but there is not much need to do so, since almost everything can be accessed though a field strip and liberal use of an air compressor.

On the other hand, my Walther P99 has a slide that is easy to detail strip, and a frame that is damn near impossible, since instructions are available nowhere and it would appear to require specialized tools. However, a full detail strip/clean would appear to be unecessary, seeing as I've shot untold thousands of rounds through the pistol without a single malfunction ever.

Last edited by Fishbed77; November 8, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:59 PM   #8
BigJimP

I shoot most of my guns a lot....300 - 400 rds a week....and I field strip them after every range trip.

I detail strip them about every 2,500 rounds...( remove firing pin and spring, remove extractor, mag release, etc...)....and at 2500 rds I also strip and clean all of my mags for that gun. There is more crud in the extractor channel on most guns than you might imagine.../ but its a good chance to inspect the gun - and I like doing it!

I replace firing pin springs and recoil springs about every 5,000 rds ....and main hammer strut springs at about 20,000 rds.
( springs are cheap )...