The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1
joeranger

Rem 1100 function check? New o-ring

My brother asked me to clean his 1100 as is was misfiring to the point of being unusable. The O-ring was stretched out and brittle so I am assuming this was the problem.
I changed the ring and cleaned the gun. Is there a function check on the 1100?
I don't have the ability to fire a round and I am not familiar with this weapon at all.
Old April 10, 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Harry Callahan

Check this out. Thoroughly take it apart and clean/lube everything. It's easy and fun once you've done it a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5XvGsBwYVc
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old April 10, 2011, 06:46 PM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

Did you clean the fowling out of the gas ports?
Old April 10, 2011, 08:00 PM   #4
joeranger

I did not know there were "gas ports".
Old April 10, 2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Harry Callahan

The ring that is part of the barrel has them inside it. Very important these stay clean otherwise cycling will be a problem.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old April 10, 2011, 10:34 PM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

These have to be clean for it to work consistently...

http://www.pbase.com/wrwood/image/58982059.jpg
Old April 10, 2011, 10:57 PM   #7
zippy13

The most common mistakes when cleaning the R-1100 have to due with the gas system. If the O-ring is questionable, replace it. If the gas system isn't clean and happy then the gun won't be happy and neither will you.
  • As 300WM mentioned, don't forget to clean the gas vent hole/s -- they're in the barrel located inside the gas cylinder (the barrel collar). There are special punches for the job, but a 1/16" wire will work.
  • The magazine tube needs to be clean and lightly oiled so the piston and piston seal (the rings) are free to slide.
  • The piston and piston seal (the rings) must be installed in the proper orientation, see below.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:53 AM   #8
oneounceload

To add one thing to Zippy's post - DON'T get oil on that o-ring, or you'll be replacing them more frequently - I learned that the hard way
Old April 11, 2011, 11:58 AM   #9
zippy13

My friend, oneounceload, is correct. The O-ring is much happier if not swimming in oil. Also, the mag tube may be a weak link in the 1100's gas system: If it's over oiled it collects muck and it it's under oiled it corrodes -- clean it, oil it and wipe it. IIRC, one of the improvements in the 11-87 was changing the tube to stainless steel. Open the bolt and turn a freshly serviced 1100/11-87 end over end, you should hear the rings freely sliding by the force of gravity.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:18 PM   #10
oneounceload

When I had my 28n gauge 1100, the directions said to run it dry. Not listening is how I found out about the o-ring. But I also discovered using some Remington dry lube worked well with the brass gas piston parts
Old April 11, 2011, 02:24 PM   #11
joeranger

So I have it all cleaned, except for the gas ports, and have a new o-ring installed. Thanks for the help.
Would any of this affect the firing mechanism? He said it wasn't jamming; the firing pin wasn't striking the round. He just assumed it was dirty. It would chamber a round and then "click" - misfire.
This is from an estate sale collection and is a gun that got a lot of use.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:32 PM   #12
oneounceload

Is the hammer dropping? You can see it inside the action spring up when you pull the trigger. Otherwise, when mine acted up, the firing pin retraction spring inside the bolt was broken - it is a small and fine spring. Three packs from Wolff aren't that expensive
Old April 11, 2011, 03:46 PM   #13
joeranger

I will check the hammer tonight, but since it is an intermittent problem, I doubt it is broken.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:06 PM   #14
oneounceload

You can easily see the firing pin retraction spring when you take the chromed bolt out - just turn it over - I had one broken in three places that did the same thing - intermittently -
Old April 11, 2011, 05:56 PM   #15
BigJimP

All these gas gun issues / o-ring issues/cleaning out gas port talk ....just makes me want to go home and pet my Benelli Inertia guns a little ...

( Sorry, couldn't resist ) ........

but these guys will certainly help you out ..../ help you get it fixed ...
Old April 11, 2011, 08:13 PM   #16
shortwave

If not a broken firing pin retraction spring.

Try spraying the firing pin channel with some brake cleaner. Using the plastic straw that comes with the brake cleaner makes it easier for pin-point application. Then, if you have access to an air compressor, blow out the channel with air. May be some old residue,gunk in the channel randomly hanging up the firing pin.