The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2010, 07:31 AM   #1
hodaka

How hard is a PTR-91 on cases?

I have decided to buy one soon. I have seen somewhere around here that "they are hard on cases". For any of you that have one, is this just the gas stripes or do they really tear them up? In the 80's I had an HK 91. When I could find the cases they reloaded just fine as do the one's from my P7 but the stripes are there. I have also heard Garand's are hard on cases but other that a few dents from time to time, they seem to work just fine. Thanks.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:31 AM   #2
shootist16

Seems that many people recommend getting a port buffer if you don't want the brass messed up.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:37 AM   #3
rbernie

The gas stripes are hard to remove (tumbling doesn't seem to get them all off) and they can get pretty dented on their way out of the action.

Neither of those particularly bother me, and I've found precious few that are gashed rather than dented and which I subsequently won't reload. You can get a port buffer that helps reduce the gashes/dents on the cases; I've played with a few homemade versions and decided that it was all too much of a hassle. I generally use 308 starting loads in my 7.62x51 rifles, and that seems to keep the case denting to a minimum.

Truth be told, for cheap practice fodder I've been using polymer Wolf in my CETMEs and (in my limited experience) it's been working just fine.