The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 22, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
blackdog_507

Browning BLR in .223?

Considering purchasing a BLR in 223. I understand these guns haven't been made in about 10 years. I love lever guns. First gun I ever shot was my dad's 39A. I now have one of those, a Henry in 22 mag, and a Marlin 336. What I started out to buy was just a nice bolt 223 mainly for punching holes in paper from a long way away, but maybe for some coyote hunting, varmit control, and just a general purpose rifle. Light recoil, good range, and relatively cheap ammo. I didn't really even consider getting a lever gun because I just didn't think there was such a thing. Then I stumbled upon the BLR in 223. Any opinions on this gun for just an all around general purpose rifle? How does the action compare to other lever guns? Will I like this as much as my more traditional tube mag rifles?
Old November 23, 2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Doyle

In general, they are great guns. The takedown models were known for bad accuracy but the non takedown models are reportedly pretty good. There are two general styles. The model 81 has a straight grip and the other model has a pistol grip. The straight gripped model 81 also has a barrel band which some believes hurts accuracy. I
Old November 23, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

I love the action of the BLR, but I can't say much about the accuracy in .223. Mine is the 450 Marlin takedown, and I'm happy when I can get 5 rounds on a 6" target at 100, the minute of elk thing.
Old November 23, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
murphjup

Yes the BLR has SMMOOOTH Action.... I have one in .308...

The Glossy Finish, is DELICATE.... My only complaint.

I like the Magazine Fed Lever...

Old November 23, 2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Trigger Time

What I like the most is the fact that the trigger moves with the lever. A detachable mag is nice also, and allows for chambering in non-rimmed cartridges.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
jgcoastie

BLR in .223?

I've personally never heard of such and I couldn't seem to find one on their website... Not trying to be Mr. Smarty Pants, just curious...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 23, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
blackdog_507

To jgcoastie:

It was discontinued in 223 1998. I was surfing GB and searched "Browning 223" and saw one. Obviously I'd have to buy one used, which I'm OK with. Its been a couple months since I saw that one, and have only seen one since. BUT, I'm patient on this purchase as I have no real NEED for this gun, just purely a want. The first one I saw was scoped and the seller advertised "shoots like a laser". I was hoping someone not trying to sell one could validate that for me!
Old November 24, 2009, 11:55 PM   #8
jgcoastie

Fair enough...

Learn something new every day here on TFL...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:39 AM   #9
REWTX

I have also been keeping an eye out for one in .223 because I have had great results from my older .243 BLR- very accurate.

Tags
.223 , blr , browning , lever gun , varmint