The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 17, 2017, 02:26 AM   #1
akselwulf

Traditions Shenandoah Kit

Hey Everyone,

I recently have acquired a Traditions Shenandoah muzzleloader rifle kit and I was wondering if anyone has used the bluing and/or stain kits from Traditions? I'm brand new to the black powder and especially the do-it-yourself kit and am looking for some help.

Thank you in advance!
Old February 17, 2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

I have not used these finishes but can give some pointers that I hope you find helpful.
First check all the parts for flaws and do any fileing and sanding on castings befor fitting. Clean edges can be fit easier and faster.

There's plenty of wood on most kits so look at some original rifles even pictures can help. Have these pictures at hand as you work and you can refine the lines of your kit. Note the width of the panels around the lock and how the forearm is not flat on the sides. Trimming just a bit here and there will make a huge difference in the finished gun. The top edge of the forearm next to the barrel should be rather thin, about 1/16" or less.
The wood must be sanded with backing blocks to keep edges sharp and lines straight. This doesn't take much time and will help you control the shape. Adding a tiny bit of water based stain to the water that you whisker the wood with helps detect sratches you may of missed. I whisker between the last two grits of paper.

In using the metal finish of any brand the results are determined by the prep. Even sanding and through cleaning can not be over stated. When I degrease the metal the first step is a rub down with a solvent then I don rubber gloves and wash the items with detergent and water using a brush. This must be done till there is no beading of the rinse water. Never touch these parts again with bare hands till done with finishing. Dry with paper towels and immedantly begin the finish.

Have fun and keep us posted
Old February 17, 2017, 04:05 PM   #3
akselwulf

Thank you so much for the help! Did you use inletting black when assembling yours? I couldn't find inletting black and was told prussian blue would be just as good so I have some of that.

I am planning on starting the build next week when I have some time, I'll definitely update the thread with my progress pictures when I start.

Thanks again!
Old February 17, 2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Oliver Sudden

I have never used Prussian blue and would hesitant to try it as it would leave the blue stain in the wood. A candle can be used to smoke the part for inletting and won't soak into the wood. Keep your tools scarey sharp and scrape as little wood out as possible for a good fit.
Old February 17, 2017, 10:45 PM   #5
Tidewater_Kid

I used the Birchwood Casey products on mine except for the walnut stain. I already had something I liked and had used before.

TK
Old February 18, 2017, 02:12 PM   #6
FrontierGander

Not your kit, but an idea on where to look for any issues you may come into.
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com...s-hawken-build

Tags
muzzleloader , shenandoah , traditions