The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 20, 2000, 12:05 PM   #1
ljhj45

I will be going deer hunting for the first time this upcoming season. I need some suggestions as to what gear and sidearm I may need. My rifle will either be a 270 or 7mm, whichever I can shoot more accurately. Any and all info welcomed.
Old July 20, 2000, 01:00 PM   #2
Jerry Stordahl

ijhj45: I suggest you buy your rifle as soon as you can and spend some time at the range with it. Familiarity with the rifle can only help. Shoot it plenty. Your choice of 270 or 7mm is fine. Either will work, or if you want a bit less recoil, go with a 7mm08 or 308. Do some squirrel hunting prior to the deer season to get the lay of the land. Get a good knife. I use a Cold Steel Master Hunter. About a 4" blade is plenty. Don't skimp on the scope and mounts. You'll be much happier purchasing a quality scope. I like Leupolds. They stand behind their products, but I have had junky scopes before. Never again. They're trouble. Good luck. Have fun. Bagging that buck is only part of it.

------------------
NRA Life Member
Old July 21, 2000, 07:15 PM   #3
AndABeer

At the ripe ole age of 32 I got my first just this past season. Buck Fever is one helluva high. Looking forward to this season and see if the feeling is just as intense with #2, #3, and #4. If you are going alone or with another inexperienced hunter I'd recommend getting a video on field dressing game. The one I purchased helped immensely.

Hope you get one, it is truly a unique and incredible experience.
Old July 21, 2000, 10:41 PM   #4
muleshoe

IMO, the .270 is THE best deer caliber around. I've kilt lots of deer with a .270 and to date all but one have been one shot kills. The one exception was a stupid head shot I was attempting that blew his jaw off, second shot put him down for good. That was the last head shot I ever tried.

A good strong sharp knife and comfortable waterproof boots are a must, I take 2 of each. I can't say that I've ever needed a sidearm while deer hunting. If you've never done it or seen it done before then the video on field dressing game should be helpful. Practice, practice, practice with whatever rifle you choose. Scout your hunting areas and keep your nose into the wind.

Good luck. It's sometimes better than skill. Let us know how things turn out.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control