The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 10, 2012, 09:10 PM   #26
matzengunworks

New Here!

Hello, stumbled over this when looking for ammo for my 1903 Winchester. Thanks to all that have shared info on this subject. To the person who stated that Aguila was making another run of .22 WIN Auto Ammo- Any idea what the cost might be per box or brick of ammo?

Thanks
David
Old June 1, 2012, 02:53 PM   #27
Jeffstateglass

1903 Winchester .22 Rimfire Auto

David;

As stated, the Old Western Scrounger (now located in Martinsburg, WV) will be the source for the re-release of the ammo. See my post of May 7, 2012. They can be contacted via the following link;

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index....age=contact_us

Best of luck~
Old December 1, 2012, 11:03 PM   #28
couillon

Anyone hear of any updates?
Old December 13, 2012, 08:31 PM   #29
Jeffstateglass

I have an email into OWS regarding production status, or lack thereof.

One individual who is familiar with the nuts and bolts of dealing with our neighbors to the south stated; "One thing I learned from doing business with Mexicans is : they NEVER do what they say they are going to do."

Based on my personal interaction with Aguila Ammo back when I was negotiating the production run of this ammo myself, I'd have to agree...
Old January 2, 2013, 11:19 AM   #30
sawguy50

If anyone is still watching this thread, there is a full brick of 22 win auto for sale on gunbroker set to end in about 8 hours.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:23 PM   #31
sawguy50

Just recieved update from OWS tha there is going to be a run in 2013 of .22 win auto. Register at their website to be notified when shipment arrives.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Jeffstateglass

Now available

Good things come to those who wait~

Check Google / Bing or your favorite search engine for " 22 Win Automatic 1903 ammo, Aguila, 45gr. "

Although OWS is conspicuously absent from the supplier list, several other sources now exist. It would appear that Aguila did an end around on everyone and decided that they would be manufacturer, importer and wholesaler in one fell swoop.

At this time, J&G, and a few others have the ammo in stock and ready to ship.
Old June 8, 2013, 03:07 PM   #33
Moyer

Can anyone tell me, is shooting 22LR dangerous in one of these guns? Or will it just become a single shot? Or will it jam hard so I'll have to pry it out?

I just received one of these interesting old guns as a very generous gift. The owner implied that it just needed to be cleaned good so it would function. I don't think he realized that it's not a 22lr

I'm planning on ordering the correct ammo for it, but I'm curious about how careful I need to be to make sure nobody else tries to stick a 22lr in there??? Thanks gentlemen.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:20 AM   #34
Scorch

Moyer-
22 Winchester Automatic is indeed different than 22LR. Dimensionally, the case is .050" larger in diameter (it used a jacketed bullet instead of the lead heeled bullet of the 22LR) and .100" longer. Additionally, the rim is almost .100" larger in diameter. If you try to feed 22LR through your Model 1903, it will probably jam in the feeding tube or at the shell stop. Since there is so much difference in rim diameter, you would probably have trouble getting a good firing pin strike on the rim. If you were to single feed one into the chamber and actually fire it, I have absolutely no doubt the case would split. All in all, I would suggest you either have it modified to feed 22LR or buy some of the 22 Win Auto ammo available at $30/box. I myself just picked one up a few weeks ago, and am planning on rebarreling and modifying the feed mechanism to fire 22 LR.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:27 PM   #35
Moyer

I just found ammo at J&G for $15 a box. Lucky timing for me since it looks like it was super scarce up until very recently. Realistically, I'll probably never shoot 500 rounds through it, so just buying some expensive ammo should be cheaper than a lot of gunsmithing (for me anyway).
Old June 9, 2013, 09:20 PM   #36
Andy Griffith

If I am correct, the case of the .22 Win Auto is the same rim and diameter of the .22 WRF or Mag. If there was a way to pull the bullet, trim the case, charge with a correct amount of powder and reseat the bullet, you'l be in business.

I've heard of fellers that reload .22 rimfire, and some of the same dies and tool could be utilized here.

I ordered a couple of boxes from J&G. The price seems high, but I've seen cheapo Magnum ammo sell for more lately.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:14 AM   #37
Scorch

Quote:
If I am correct, the case of the .22 Win Auto is the same rim and diameter of the .22 WRF or Mag.
If you were correct it might be. However, you are not correct. Check Cartridges Of The World and you will see that the rim is .310" and body diameter is .250", substantially larger than the .290" and .240" for 22 WRF/22WMR.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:00 PM   #38
Andy Griffith

I should have checked there first.

Thank you for correcting me- I certainly don't mind learning when I'm wrong.
It's how we learn!
Old July 5, 2013, 02:06 PM   #39
irl104

The new manufactured 22 Auto ammo is out and being produced. I bought a brick of 10 boxes of 50 rounds for 14.70 per box.